ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie 182 worried...

clio sport 182
Hi everyone!

Ok, i picked my car up on sat morning, cam belt changed - service, rear part of exhaust replaced (standard exhaust) and a few other bits sorted before i took delivery...

Ive been easing my way into the car for a few days to be honest but today i really put my foot down -
In 1st and second gear around 5thousand revs there is a huge noise from beneath the car i think - like a huge vibration which isnt noticed until 5k and is present until gear is eventually changed.

Before i take car back tom to ask him to look at it thought id ask on here if anyone knew or had ideas.
There is a burning smell also from the rear of the car - although i reckon that could just be new exhaust part still bedding in?

any suggestions would be hugely appreciated....

None
Sounds like there is a part of the exhaust system making contact with the bodywork when it hits 5k, can't be sure exactly but i had a similar thing when my system somehow hooked itself onto the heat shield and made a huge vibrating noise, i thought the bottom of the car was falling out till i found the problem :)

thing is there are a few heat shields under there so one may have come loose a little and dropped enough for the system to touch it under high torque.

clio sport 182
thanks ste666, im planing on getting it up on a ramp tomorrow and having a look at it when its cold... sounds like what suggesting makes sense...

I was gutted tonight cos have absolutely loved the car since sat when i got it!

Is it normal for the cat and the silencer directly behind it to sit quite low in relation to the rest of the exhaust system?

None
the part that mine was catching on was the centre box, it hooked up just below where the handbrake is.
I don't think it should hang down massively, the bottom of mine is about level with the bottom of the car, it should sit up in the channel that runs down the length of the car, there is onlt one hanger and its near the back somewhere, just around where the rear seat back is so if its been bolted up out of allignment then it will stay that way, that could explain your huge noise, the 5k kick is when your exhaust is under the most stress so if anything is going to happen it will happen then.