ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No Gears when engine is running

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member

Bit of an interesting problem, Clio 182 but running a Golf 02m gear box and a Spec stage 2 clutch with SMF.
So less then 1000 miles ago it was converted using a fully rebuilt box with new SMF fly wheel
clutch and slave cylinder (supplied by spec) and has been running fine with no
issues other then the odd hard to select gear while cold.

So Friday it
went in for MOT (was fine before as it passed with no issues) the guy commented that the release bearing as going, at initial pick up the car started being hard to get into gear which I put down to it being cold as some times its like that, However while driving and within the space of about 5 miles it now won’t go into gear at all.

Symptoms
1)You can get into all gears while the engine is off
2)While the engine is on, if you attempt to put it into gear it won’t go into gear but it will start to drag the car a little
3)If you start it in gear it will take off so the clutch is working just it wont go into gear while the engine is running

So from this I figured it might need the clutch bleeding, so today I opened it in checked the header tank and it was on the minimum line so I topped that up and started to bleed it.
Gave the pedal about 30 pumps then bleed it from the gear box end, pedal to the floor while open, close valve pull the pedal back up, pumped it 30 more times then refill header, did that about 6 times so I know the system should be ok and I can feel resistance on the pedal, have checked under the box and can’t see any leaks from the slave and I had a look. I just used a cheap bottle of Comma dot 4 as I figured it shouldn’t get hot so no need for fancy fluid although the stuff in the tank was quite dark and this was much lighter.

Anyways still same
symptoms as above and won't go into gear, was working fine before.

The only things I can think that could wrong are the slave / master cylinder or the cover plate has some how seized.
If it were the slave I would assume that the pedal would not come back up so obviously its pushing something and coming back and if it were the master I would expect to see a foot well full of brake fluid... maybe in not getting a full extension on the slave cylinder or its some how pushed off centre
All parts were brand new less then 1000 miles ago

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be or possible fixes?
Chucked the same post over on seat forums too as they use the same gearbox.