ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nokia Questions and Updates Thread.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Ok to make it easier lets have one thread on this from now on.

Ok first off, How do you fix bugs on your Nokia?

Easy way:

http://europe.nokia.com/softwareupdate

Follow the instructions and update your phone, most if not all new Nokias are supported.

REMEMBER! You must back up your phone before doing this as it WIPES it clean.

Sometimes you may have the latest software but still have issues, this is because your network or operator has customised the phone with special software.
90% of the time this "special" software causes more issues and makes the phone run slower.

To remove this you need to "De-brand" your phone, this is fairly simple but varies between nokias. Im putting together a guide for this for S60 phones and then later S40 phones.

Please use this thread to ask questions on problems/issues with nokia phones

Forgot to mention, to get your firmware type *#0000# if you include this in your post the clued up among us can help you easily.

Debrand S60 Guide (N- Series, E-Series, Navigator Series)

The Guide:
1. Ensure that you have installed the Nokia PC Suite (on the CD supplied with the phone), make sure that your phone is connected via the USB cable and that it has been detected.

2. Download the following 2 pieces of software:

3. Install Nemesis Service Suite. Open the program and then click the "Scan for new Device" icon in the top right of the screen. The screen should then be filled with information, click the "Phone Info" button at the top of the screen. Then click the "Read" button. Amongst other things this will show you the current product code of your phone. You now need to change this to a generic Nokia code. A standard code for the UK that you can use is 0534841 (N95 ONLY), for a full list of codes see The Nokia Blog. Replace the current product code with this new code. Then check the enable box and click the "Write button". You have now changed your phones product code! You can double check this by clicking the read button again, this should show your new product code.

4. You may at this stage wish to back up you contacts/files to carry over to the unbranded phone, to do this use Backup utility within the Nokia PC Suite.

5. You now just have to install the new firmware update. Make sure that you phone is connected to you computer through the USB cable and then open the Nokia Software Updater that you previously downloaded. Follow the step by step instructions and install the new firmwear. Do not at any time disconnect the phone until it tells you that it is safe to do so. Note the phone will restart itself during the update process.

6. That's it, you phone has now been debranded! You can now restore your files/contacts by going back into the Backup utility, however I suggest that you do not restore settings to the phone as this puts back some annoying operator defaults such has changed menu layouts.

7. If you wish to update your phones firmware in the future you simply need to use the Nokia Updater as usual as your phones product code will not need changing again.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
I have an N73 and the camera locks up the phone every so often just after a photo is taken. Using a Sandisk 2gb mem card around 10% full.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
N73 Issue

I have an N73 and the camera locks up the phone every so often just after a photo is taken. Using a Sandisk 2gb mem card around 10% full.

Is the N73 customised by an operator? (any logos or software on the phone?)

If yes then chances are it has inferior firmware on it this needs to be updated or changed.
You may need to debrand as stated in the original post.

Bear with me while i prepare a fairly decent guide to de-branding nokia S60 phones.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Re: N73 Issue

Is the N73 customised by an operator? (any logos or software on the phone?)

If yes then chances are it has inferior firmware on it this needs to be updated or changed.
You may need to debrand as stated in the original post.

Bear with me while i prepare a fairly decent guide to de-branding nokia S60 phones.

I believe the phone is locked to 3, I've updated the software on the Nokia site, so running latest version. Not sure if it's 3 firmware or generic. Phone has no branding on case.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Need to download NSS then change the phone product code.

If you download games to your phone from 3 don't upgrade with anything other than either 3's own firmware or the matching unbranded version number, as if you have a newer firmware than 3's version games from them will not install, did my N73 and can no longer get my free game every month!!!

big red bus
wondering if you guys can help me.

got a N70 with tomtom mobile 5 on it and its not as quick as it used to be, also when i put in postcodes it will only allow me to put in the 1st letter on the button.

is the phone due a software upgrade or what?

thanks

Clio Renaultsport 182
I've changed the Product Code of my E51 to the generic Nokia one and run the updater.

Unfortunately, nothing has happened as there is no new firmware for this phone.

Does this mean that I have to wait for the next update before I can debrand my phone?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Ive played with a unbranded E51 and theres no performance issue.

Clio Renaultsport 182
Fair enough then. Just out of interest, am I right in thinking that this is correct: PC= 0546184: RM-244 CTR EURO1 BLACK?

1998 BMW e46 323i
Excellent guide Tom, very helpful for the beginners out there. Wish I'd read that when I first got my N95, would have saved me reading loads of threads on loads of sites. Simply everyone must de-brand. The branded S/W is usually cr@p.

Just thought I'd add that if peoples N series phones are running slow a very simple and effective solution is to alter the log settings.

Menu> Tools> Log>Options>Settings. Reduce it down from the default 30 days or whatever to 10 or better still 1 day. Makes your phone more responsive.

Another quick tip is to switch Icon Animation off.

Menu>Options>Icon Animation>Off.

anyway of finding out what the latest firmware version is for a 8800 sirocco?

has to be done at a care point and don't want a wasted trip.

google has already lead me to v4.10 which i am running but that was released over two years ago and i cant find anything newer. phone has been running slow recently so was looking for an update. just wondering if nokia stops releasing updates once production ends? or if anyone has better access to information, if they could let me know! cheers.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Have you managed to change your product code to a generic one? If so try and update it, or failing that do a hard reset.

don't think i can as there is no way to hardwire the 8800 to my computer. only bluetooth. hence i cant use the nokia software to update it and have to go to a care point. any way of checking product code within the phone?

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Not sure if you can answer this but I have an unbranded (sim free) N78 and its causing hassle with the Parrot 3100 hands free in the car. It connects, goes into synchronisation, disconnects, connects and repeats the cycle anything upto 10 times before finally settling down and connecting. Now, on Friday it plain refused to connect to the Parrot at all saying that it couldnt create a bluetooth connection. I turned the phone off and on again and it seemed to work. However, today while out driving a friend phoned me and TWICE the phone decided to drop the call and disconnect from the Parrot kit. Have you any suggestions? My brother thinks I need to re-flash the firmware. Or are there any known issues between the N-Series phones and Parrot kits?

Thanks

Andrew

Is it possible to upgrade the E71 to the same s60 version as the N97 then install the N97 facebook app etc ?

Anyone have NSU working on Windows 7?

Tried downloading the latest version from Nokia and it just tells me the operating system is not compatible when I try to install it.

Anyone know about PC suite ?

I've backed up a phone to it (an N79) but that phones now got to be repaired (screen doesn't work anymore)
I'd like to transfer the stuff from the PC to a new Nokia phone (N97 mini) can this be done at all ?

When I plugged the new Nokia in, I could only see the stuff on the new phone:S The stuff from the N79 was on there as I saw some of it.

I have OVI Suite with the new one, I've not used it yet, the back of the case says it gives you easy access to the contents of your connected device - so I guess that will be the same as Nokia PC Suite ?

Da

Less
Go to PC Suite with the mini connected. Click on backup and it will give you the restore option. Choose the correct restore file (from the N79) and it will restore all the compatable data onto the mini. :)