ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

North Weald meet, 28.01.12

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
We're meeting by the cafe thing on site. It's an airfield but not like you know it, but you actually enter 1952 when you go through the gates.

BMW 535d
Righteo thanks.

Do I need to turn the pops and bangs map off on entry? Or will they tolerate asbo level Williams turbo noises?

Mercedes C320!
1. Dr Jekyll
2. nightrider renault
3. Tyler
4. lrj
5. one in a million
6. the nice giraffe needs reminding nearer time
7. Scrooge
8. clio.ben
9. Felgz
10. Brian
11. Scattle
12. RDP197
13. wag1
14. Jane
15. Steve@R-Sport Cars
16. jaystevens1971
17. Sunglasses Ron (can only pop down for an hour)
18. Russell bland
19. Gardner51
20. Shamous
21. Tommy s
22. steve from witham new 200
23. suzanne going to market as well
24. Clio1990 - May also have a friend with an Evo if thats cool by you guys?....Now Actually Luker1990!
25. Tressie90

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
1952! i would say 1940 as it was a Battle of Britain Airfield during zee war and bombed regularly by zee fuzzy wuzzies.

Megane GT
Oh boo :(

No point, I just say mines quicker and save you the embarrassment ;)

Haha, alright then babe :p Ill give you that one...for now... Organise another one for Feb or March, Ill make sure I can come to that one! Wouldve been nice to meet some more people.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Nice. We can talk tesco clubcards and nectar points. Ill bring some soil samples too. May aswell make a sales pitch considering its so close to home...

Assuming its an airfield, will there be a place for accessible coffee? Or was that an invitation for a date?

Lol yeah there's a cafe there where they do a fairly decent bit of grub.

BMW 535d
Nice, as long as they have a healthy supply of tea bags, then I will be happy enough

Im still struggling with getting my head around where the meeting place will be and where we are allowed to drive. Could someone please show me on a google map? I literally will end up in the market asking the stall owners where the clio meet is otherwise.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Im still struggling with getting my head around where the meeting place will be and where we are allowed to drive. Could someone please show me on a google map? I literally will end up in the market asking the stall owners where the clio meet is otherwise.

Follow the signs to the airfield on the main roads if you don't know where you're going.

http://g.co/maps/sb7jg <-- This is the camo hut you're aiming for.

Zoom out so you can see the whole airfield. Go in the main gate, which is at about 3 o/c on the airfield's perimeter. Go left once you're through the barrier and just follow the perimeter road round. It's a good couple of miles but eventually you'll get there.

Look out for aircraft !!!

It's really not challenging.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice, as long as they have a healthy supply of tea bags, then I will be happy enough

if you want to wait at the bp garage at the four wantz roundabout, i will be going past at around 12.30 you can tag on the end, cu ian

monaco 172
I may be up for this and I'm coming from uckfield way if I do go you want to meet before and drive up?

If you do end up deciding to head up there its only an extra 10mins for us to head over and go up the m23. So could meet you at the pease pottage services just off the m23 j11?

BMW 535d
It's really not challenging.

Without you needing to be so sarcastic, my point is that I have been to the market many times in the past, I have just never been round the runway. It has always been cordoned off as far as I was aware.

So if I drove to a restricted area I would look like more of an idiot than I donow quite innocently asking for more detailed directions.

Nightrider, I would appreciate that mate. Ill try and be there for around that time and tag along.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Without you needing to be so sarcastic, my point is that I have been to the market many times in the past, I have just never been round the runway. It has always been cordoned off as far as I was aware.

So if I drove to a restricted area I would look like more of an idiot than I donow quite innocently asking for more detailed directions.

Nightrider, I would appreciate that mate. Ill try and be there for around that time and tag along.

No sarcasm intended. I had no idea where I was going, or any clue what I was aiming for last time. There's only one entrance, there's only one perimeter road.. eventually you'll find the big group of idiots standing around in the cold !

:eek:

2001 1.2 Clio Black.
Alright guys, i wont be popping down to this anymore, seeing as i still have not been given my alloys back from the referb! and i still have a animal of an exhaust on :eek:

Next one i will be there! Have a good'n

Just looking at the map that was posted up, is it the road that runs alongside 'Merlin Way' that we want to take clockwise round the airfield yah?

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Right guy's I see there is some confusion on how to access the airfield area of North Weald.

What you need to do is go in through the Main gate and turn left infront of the aircraft on the poll.

Then head towards the M11 motorway end of the airfield as it is a market day tell the stewards that you are going to the squadron.

cross the runaways only at the ends making sure to check that there is no aircraft on approach or taking off.

follow the taxi ways around the outside of the runaways in a clockwise direction ensuring to give way to taxiing aircraft.

As you head towards the camouflaged hanger with the M11 behind you there should be hangers and derelict aircraft on your left. The also should be a collapsed rubber hanger on your left with road barriers at the end.

Turn left and head towards the two huge aircraft with four engines with yet more hangers on the left ( one being where they filmed crystal maze ).

you will reach the end of the other runaway cross remembering to check for aircraft.

You will then head towards the Cafe and the market should be visible in front of you on the far side of the airfield.

drive down the taxiway with the silver hanger on your left with the camo one in front with fuel bowser next to it. There will be a car park in-front of you that is the cafe car park.

(Points to Note) This is an active airfield with aircraft taxiing and using the runaways aircraft have right of way if you are confronted by aircraft pull off to one side allowing them to pass.

The aircraft are peoples property so please look but don't touch. As some of the aircraft there are perhaps the only example of there type in the world worth millions.

As you are air side most insurance companies will not cover you if you have a crash with an aircraft.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! only cross the runaways at the ends there is two one running parallel with the market and one running to and from the market. And keep to the speed limit.

There has been an incident in the past where an aircraft and a car collided resulting in serious injury so remember stay safe and have a fun time.

View attachment 70578

If you are lucky Hanger 11 may be open if you ask nicely they may let you take pics of the P51, Hurricane, P40 and Spitfire they have. http://hangar11.co.uk/

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh for goodness sake Matt... I might be otherwise engaged tomorrow as the OH wrote her car off last night... now I'm going to have to blow her out to come be nerdy looking at planes.

*goes to get anorak out of wardrobe*

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Oh for goodness sake Matt... I might be otherwise engaged tomorrow as the OH wrote her car off last night... now I'm going to have to blow her out to come be nerdy looking at planes.

*goes to get anorak out of wardrobe*

I hope you do make it, Rob - Got some Bounty's to give you!

Clio 200 cup
If you do end up deciding to head up there its only an extra 10mins for us to head over and go up the m23. So could meet you at the pease pottage services just off the m23 j11?

Ok mate well as the weather looks to be ok I'll be up for this. What time shall I meet you at pease pottage services?