ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nut and Bolt sets

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Anyone know a good suppler of these.

Looking for something that covers M5 to M10 in a range of lengths?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member

Bought a load of their stainless M6/M8/M10 nuts/bolts/washers for the bumper of mine last year, excellent quality and service.

RS components do sets but they can be pricey.

Personally, I’ve a number of compartmented storage trays which I have built up over time with common sizes. Google your nearest fastening supplier, or alternatively there are sellers on eBay who do 10,50 etc of specific sizes.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Lunchtime?
Aye x

RS components do sets but they can be pricey.

Personally, I’ve a number of compartmented storage trays which I have built up over time with common sizes. Google your nearest fastening supplier, or alternatively there are sellers on eBay who do 10,50 etc of specific sizes.
Can tell someone has brass if you're suggesting RS 😂

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

Bought a load of their stainless M6/M8/M10 nuts/bolts/washers for the bumper of mine last year, excellent quality and service.
Awesome. Great prices!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I use https://www.accu.co.uk a lot. They aren't the cheapest normally double the price of other suppliers but their website and range is epic and they have fast delivery.

I've made an M3, M4 and M6 box using stuff from them. I buy really useful boxes with divider trays and just fill each compartment up with the most common lengths/head styles.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Screwfix do sets of nuts and bolts in a tray but can't comment on quality as never used. Something Iv always meant to get myself but I always seem to get by without purchasing a set

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
15kg of stainless is here!

5216970C-5A85-45D1-8B10-A4040B415A83.jpeg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
We buy a lot from these people

Yea they're great, not far from me.

They also do the yellow zinc coated ones, which some manufactures use from time to time. Good if your engine is a mish-mash of random bolts and you want to make it look a little tidier.

01250.jpg

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Be careful of using stainless bolts on carbon steel parts, can often cause further issues due to galvanic corrosion and dissimilar metals. Especially in a corrosive atmosphere or where theres lots of moisture / salty roads

Hilux

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup F1
Be careful of using stainless bolts on carbon steel parts, can often cause further issues due to galvanic corrosion and dissimilar metals. Especially in a corrosive atmosphere or where theres lots of moisture / salty roads
Not sure if all the stuff purchased is for the car as stainless has differing structural properties [tensile wise] to steel so for [some] structural elements is not suitable.

Hillclimb182

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Cup, SAABs
Not sure if all the stuff purchased is for the car as stainless has differing structural properties [tensile wise] to steel so for [some] structural elements is not suitable.
Almost all the stainless steel fasteners on sale will be of one if two grades; A304 ( also known as A2) and A316 (aka A4). Their strengths are very similar but A316 has better corrosion resistance, particularly in salty environments.
Neither of these grades is equivalent to a high-tensile carbon steel ; Renault often specify a Grade 10.9 fastener, which has more than twice the strength of any SS item. In practice this means that an SS fastener may stretch when being torque-tightened or will loosen in service. For lightly loaded applications SS fasteners are fine but for highly-load parts like some engine, brake of or suspension parts, they are not suitable.
An additional problem is that when both bolt and nut are SS they may be prone to ‘galling’ , which means that the threads will strip when you attempt to loosen them. In most but not all cases, prior application of Loctite will prevent this.
It’s a bit of a minefield

Hilux

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup F1
Neither of these grades is equivalent to a high-tensile carbon steel ; Renault often specify a Grade 10.9 fastener, which has more than twice the strength of any SS item. In practice this means that an SS fastener may stretch when being torque-tightened or will loosen in service. For lightly loaded applications SS fasteners are fine but for highly-load parts like some engine, brake of or suspension parts, they are not suitable.

Well put (y) - thats exactly what I meant. Also, even though austenitic st/steel grades have general corrosion resistance they are susceptible to damage by stress corrosion cracking in corrosive atmospheres especially between dissimilar metals [salty water/steel/aluminium] unless fully and properly separated/sealed.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Alot of good points made, quite often a misconception that stainless is best

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Anyone know a good suppler of these.

Looking for something that covers M5 to M10 in a range of lengths?

Me... Or at least the company I work for. Not sure if I'm allowed to say any more as I'm not a forum sponsor etc.

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Almost all the stainless steel fasteners on sale will be of one if two grades; A304 ( also known as A2) and A316 (aka A4). Their strengths are very similar but A316 has better corrosion resistance, particularly in salty environments.
An additional problem is that when both bolt and nut are SS they may be prone to ‘galling’ , which means that the threads will strip when you attempt to loosen them. In most but not all cases, prior application of Loctite will prevent this.
It’s a bit of a minefield

This is important. Do not use stainless bolts on suspension, steering or load bearing items, you need to stick to 10.9 carbon steel. Stainless is no stronger than normal 8.8 steel bolts. 10.9's if plated are fairly resistant to corrosion so get those.

If it helps add weight to the above I studied a degree in materials science, so please do take note of what @Hillclimb182 said.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Good point as well as @Hillclimb182 says.

All my Stainless fixings are for engine bay dress purposes and those random little things that crop up.