ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil can and stop light - pump or sensor

Ph2 Flamer
Hi

When I'm driving and mostly on the motorway the oil pressure light and stop light have started coming on, either for a min or so or just a few seconds. Have checked the oil at the dip stick and it's at the top notch. Oil was changed by jms 3k miles/3 months ago.

I've previously had those lights come on 6 months ago when driving the car in torrential rain but once it dried off I've not seen them since.

Read lots of threads on here and the oil pressure sensor seems the obvious culprit but given the cars age I would appreciate someone telling me how I check it's not the oil pump dieing?

Oh and car is driving fine and engine temp normal if that means much.

172 Race Car
Had this on mine, could be the oil pressure switch playing up, mine was. Only way to be sure is to have an oil pressure check done.

Or just replace the sensor and see how you go. Like I did

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
I've seen a few faulty pressure switchs & had one come In with a damage engine loom that caused the same issue, as Jay has said, try a new pressure sensor & see how you get on

Ph2 Flamer
Yep cheers Jay. It's wierd doesn't seem to come on at round town speeds. Soon as I get onto a straight bit of road and 'give it the beans' it'll come on, then if i slow down it generally goes off... Motorway it'll come on and off pretty well as it sees fit. But yeah will swap the sensor out and hope it's that.
Seem to be a few bits going on with the old girl at the mo. Got probs with a wonky track rod which has caused uneven tyre wear on the n/s. James can't remember if you spotted this when I came in for aircon delete etc (i had the glued on plennum!) but the previous owner obviously hit a curb or summat pretty hard, And there is something leaking out around the n/s drive shaft. The hazard switch went on the blink this morning and now won't turn off so that's unplugged until I can buy a new one. Nice new stereo and speakers though :S oh and the climate sensor is buzzing really forking loud lol