ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Level Guage...

Just wondering if other people have this prob. When I turn the ignition or start the car the oil level readout works, but after about 15-20 secs it falls back to nothing, is this standard (as I think I read somewhere that its supposed to do that) or is it a fault?? Mk1 Phase 2 16v by the way.

Oh, also, the readout is slightly erratic at times, as in showing dif readouts at times, but since my oil change this week it seems fine (on max)

Cheers

Hummmmmm sounds strange !!....lets explain how things should work

If you put you key in & turn 1 position(click)....this should work the accessories...ie radio etc........on the next position (click) the oil level gauge should work (& stay on) the fuel gauge should work...the outside temp gauge should work........you should have 3 red lights on (oil,hand brake & battery) & the coolant light should be on..<--- all of thease stay on until the next position !!....you should have also heard your fuel pump prime its self...(little short wirring noise from rear)

Then on the third position (click) the starting position........the engine should start & you let it fall back to the second position...........the oil gauge should drop to zero as soon as the engine has started.........if it dont ..theres probubaly somthing wrong with the sender unit !!...dont worry.they are only £50 !!:eek:....anyway where was i ??...ho yes....the three main lights & the coolant light should turn off & you should have an oil (bar) pressure reading.................well.......any deveation from the above information.......then somthings wrong .......dont yer just love clio 16vs now eh ??......well you could have had a power steering pipe burst on the way home from castle coombe............i did !!!.......ho well.....off to renualt to order yet another new pipe !!!.......somthing strange here.....i feel like ive got my old R5GTT back...that bloddy thing always had pipes going on me......usually coolant pipes !!........blah blah blah....moan moan moan.....whinge whinge .....ta ta.....http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/boohoo.gif

owwwww i forgot to say...the eratic readings from the oil gauge......if you get a certian level reading.....start your car..then turn off & get a different reading.....its prob because some of you oil has been pumped round your engine...until it falls back down into the sump you aint gonna get the same reading are yah !!!

unless yer sender units buggered.....then itll be all over the shop wont it !!!

clio 20v

it should come on when u turn the ignition on for approx 30 secs doesnt matter when u start the engine

it doesnt read wen running cos it would read low as all oil goes out of the sump round the engine, parking on curbs or hills can make the reading differ too

adi

ahhh, cheers guys. I thought it was like that, with the level turning off after a while. All the other instruments give correct readouts, so now im not worried.

You could also have had your battery fail on you like me, in winter, in the pooring rain, miles from a garage, having to lug a new one back to the car..moan moan..gripe...

Cheers guys