ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OMP Push Horn Wiring

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I'm trying to find a photo/guide for wiring the horn of a 182 to a OMP push button horn on the centre of an after market steering wheel. Has anyone got a photo anywhere please?

I've found guides and videos for everything else, just not that. Is it a case of just cutting the black and red wires that go into the horn connector and then attaching them to the back of the horn press (soldering?). I've not got the steering wheel with me at the moment so can't have a look at the back of it.

Thanks in advance :up:

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Yep, its as simple as that, match colours and you're away! Theres a couple of different methods of going at it though...

You can either chop the plug off the loom (vehicle side) then solder/crimp on the required female spade terminals to match the OMP horn button.

Or... You can salvage the plug from the steering wheel side of the loom, cut the wiring then solder/crimp the wiring on that side of the plug, then the vehicle harness will remain intact and unmodified, at the cost of some wiring in the wheel. I know which one i'd rather change if i wanted to get the car back to standard.

Of course it all depends on your plans for the car as to what method you do, but essentially as long as red and black match up somewhere it'll work!

Hope this helps!

The OMP wheel should have come with a red and black wire with spaded ends to just hook them up from OE wiring to the back of the horn button, if not maplin sell them for pence.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
am sure one of the horn pushes earths to the car so it shorts the horn out? can't remember exactly as was a while ago i had issues with one.

Im also not sure, i didnt use the OMP horn button, I had a 1.2 8v Phase 1 in my possession, with front fog lights, so swapped over the indicator stalk to relocate the horn

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Thanks for the help guys. The steering wheel didn't come with any spade connectors that I know of. I did manage to nip and have a look at the horn button on the way to a house viewing though and it looks like this:

nGNZXb9.jpg

Any idea which one I should connect the red and black to? I'd guess the red live to the one with the metal connector to the centre?

I have read about shorting problems though, I should read into them a little more. I don't want any problems after just getting the car running properly again. I want it to fly though an MOT with this wheel on as well and probably won't be swapping back to standard at any point.

dan's cast offs.
check for continuity from the spring clip on the side to the connectors on the back.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
That's just gone straight over my head sorry, electrics aren't my best point (although I have an AS is electronics). I can tell you how to turn things on and off computer wise though ;). I've had a beer too, so that's my excuse! haha

So run a metre from the spring clip to one of the connectors?

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I'd quite like to get it working on the steering wheel really, but the phase 1 stalk is always an option. How does the phase 2 horn clip attach to the phase 1 stalk? Is it plug and play or would I have to do similar with the red and black wires?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
@bloke fitted mine mate

Much prefer it even if the centre horn did work. And carl from memory the near explosion happened when you fitted mine.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Near explosion doesn't sound good at all :disrelieved:. I was hoping it was going to be an easy fix. Swapping the wheels doesn't look too bad at all, it's just this bloody horn.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I'm going for a Phase 1 Stalk now, I'm too scared of wiring it. :fearful:

I've seen that the stalk is just plug and play and I don't have to do anything with the horn wires to the stalk. Is that definitely the case?

Looking....
I'm going for a Phase 1 Stalk now, I'm too scared of wiring it. :fearful:

I've seen that the stalk is just plug and play and I don't have to do anything with the horn wires to the stalk. Is that definitely the case?
Im going to attempt to fit my omp wheel this afternoon. I have gone for a phase 1 stalk after reading a few horror storys. The omp horn button working doesnt bother me if it means the car wont catch fire and i can alway shout " beep beep" when pushing it.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Im going to attempt to fit my omp wheel this afternoon. I have gone for a phase 1 stalk after reading a few horror storys. The omp horn button working doesnt bother me if it means the car wont catch fire and i can alway shout " beep beep" when pushing it.

Cool, you'll have to let me know how you get on with it. Take lots of photos and good luck :up:

Looking....
Didnt have time for photo's during but its on....and with no airbag lights.
Took about an hour and went well except i broke the clio off the controls for the stereo because im inpatient. Feels so much better to drive.
20170304_150152.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Didnt have time for photo's during but its on....and with no airbag lights.
Took about an hour and went well except i broke the clio off the controls for the stereo because im inpatient. Feels so much better to drive.View attachment 179747

That looks great, really good :up:

Nice and simple with the stalk then? Did it work straight away?

Looking....
Couldn't have been any easier. 2 screws, unplug wiring block and two spade connectors swap the stalk over a conect it all back up. Im a idiot and i managed it.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Couldn't have been any easier. 2 screws, unplug wiring block and two spade connectors swap the stalk over a conect it all back up. Im a idiot and i managed it.

😂, hopefully I'll manage that too then. I'll get cracking with it asap as I've just bought a stalk from Mossy :up:

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I used the Momo boss as it has the cut out for all of the cables and makes life easier. It was pretty simple swapping everything out, and well worth doing :)

Spikenipple

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
So it still works with the original steering angle sensor? I've just bought a cheapy boss from an ebay seller and it's a total piece of s**t. Bought a Momo boss from Demon Tweeks now instead.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
It certainly does, no need to touch the steering angle sensor (unless you're replacing the stalk). You won't be disappointed with the Momo boss, it's spot on. :)

Spikenipple

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Nice one, cheers! Does the whole stalk need replacing if the sensor is shagged or do they separate?

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
For anyone trying this, I shorted out my horn - the reason this happens is because the of the spring clip on the horn acting as a ground - this is for cars with one wire to the horn (clio has TWO). The trick is to cut away the metal spring clip and use the two spade connectors as normal and it'll work!

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
For anyone trying this, I shorted out my horn - the reason this happens is because the of the spring clip on the horn acting as a ground - this is for cars with one wire to the horn (clio has TWO). The trick is to cut away the metal spring clip and use the two spade connectors as normal and it'll work!

Ive had this problem to mate,so you recommend just cutting off the spring/triangle metal spring on the push horn to solve this?

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
It should solve the problem yeah, providing the fuse and wiring are still OK. The spring clip acts as a switch ground for some cars which only have a hot wire to the horn, I think this is causing some of these "shorting issues" on Clios which have a separate earth wire with a specific resistance.