ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pads loose in calipers

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Fitted a set of new CL6 pads and HC discs over the winter and used them properly for the first time on track today. After my first session on track my pedal was slightly longer for all the subsequent sessions, but I didn't notice until I was driving home that there was a knocking coming from the passengers side and upon checking the brakes I could freely move the pads with my fingers. I took the pads out and refitted them, all looked good in regards to the sliders etc so not sure what the next best step is? Never had any issues with my old pads and these seemed fine as well until I properly pushed them for the first time, if I boiled the fluid would this cause these sorts of problems just on one caliper?!

I'm abit confused, but I'm hardly a brake expert so any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Dan

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Pedal travel will be fluid.

CL pads do move in the calipers as they have no spring on the backing plate unlike oe pads.

I had PF97 pads previously which never knocked and didn't have the OE springs
, why would they be knocking on one side and not the other?

Also why would the pedal travel happen all of a sudden after my first session? Boiled fluid?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
have you fitted them with the shims?

No shims.

Why would this have only started with these pads? I've ran 'race' pads before with the same setup. Surely the extra pedal travel is related and I've never had any of my Clios pads knock like this during normal driving, I can't get over how that's meant to be normal and if that was the case it would be the same on the other caliper?

The same fluid was used with my PF97 pads without a problem.

dan's cast offs.
slider free?

cl can rattle like mad and make all sorts of odd noises when you brake gently in reverse as well.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say the side that is making the noise is the correct/working caliper and the quiet one is possibly seized.

Both sides on mine used to make noises. They're a race pad at the end of the day.

As long as they stop you, then it's all good.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
They can only move so far in the carrier.

Not sure why it's happening on one side though. Sliders and pistons free?

They are moving yeh.

I can bleed them but the fluid has only seen 4 track days and why would the pedal get longer all of a sudden after the first hard session? The disk wear is all over the place compared to the other caliper as well, assuming due to the pad flying around over every bump.