ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting brakes

Clio 1.2 16v
Hi all, im in need of some wisdom.

I want to paint my brake calipers and drums black as the previous owner done them red and there is now no other red on the car so looks rather out of place. I was wondering how long it would take roughly (from wheels off to wheels on) to do all the necessary prep work etc and obviously painting as i cant really be without the car for too long

Thanks
James

how long does it take for paint to dry;)

there is some extreme heat in the brakes and if it is not dried enough you could get paint dripping on to the inside of your wheels

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Jog on, it takes as long as whipping a wheel off, clean up rub down slap on some paint leave to touch dry wheel back on job done.

Clio 1.2 16v
So there is no need for primer or lacquer etc? Ive seen a can of gloss black that you paint on with a brush on e-bay. Im guessing this would work the same as all others?

"Navy" N17 TWO
I have heard some horror stories of people painting their brakes then letting it "dry" and going for a drive so heating up the brakes to make the paint run, drip and let the wheels sling it all over the car! :eek:

I'd be careful with that!

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Halfruads sell some alright stuff specificaly for calipers.

It DESTROYS brushes though, not even soaking them in white spirit helps.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
hammerite is what you need. many used this and it's great quality paint. wire brush on the calipers, degreaser, one coat of paint, 2 hours later the second coat, 4 hours later you're done