ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC] Starcraft 2 out on Tuesday

Getting giddy I can't wait! Played beta religiously until it stopped earlier this week, anyone else a fan of RTS/Starcraft?

Last edited by a moderator:
  BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Had this on preorder forever! Can't wait. Thought beta was too hard though

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Had this on preorder forever! Can't wait. Thought beta was too hard though

Lol. If you're finding this RTS difficult, what bloody chance have mere minion players got with it?! :)

I'll definitely acquire the demo (assuming they do one) but I'd rather they just concentrated their efforts on getting Diablo III out instead, first. Never did really like the first StarCraft - I thought it was a bit pooh.

D.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Oh man you're missing out, starcraft was way ahead of its time. Reason i find it hard is cause by the time i got the beta (like 3 months ago where it's been out for like triple that!) everyone on there was awesome so i got nailed everytime (multiplayer only). It'll be fine once i get through the singleplayer, tihnk you should reconsider mate!!!

Is it more like C&C or DOW?

More like the Warcraft games if you ever played them! It is its own RTS in its own right. I love the games - I was #1 in C&C Tib Sun in the UK and in my opinion Company of Heroes is the best RTS ever made. Starcraft comes close but its problem is that there is so little margin for error, if you get something even slightly wrong that oculd cost you the match

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
More like the Warcraft games if you ever played them! It is its own RTS in its own right. I love the games - I was #1 in C&C Tib Sun in the UK and in my opinion Company of Heroes is the best RTS ever made. Starcraft comes close but its problem is that there is so little margin for error, if you get something even slightly wrong that oculd cost you the match

Goddamn right! :cool:

I was on that only last night - chucked up a skirmish game of me versus two CPU opposition and won. That said, I did 'cheat' slightly by making both opposition teams the Panzer Elite on a map where only two fuel points exist - one of which I surrounded with defences! As you know, the German side drinks fuel and the Panzer Elite only demand more of it. That said, they kept up the token shots by building those Marauder (sp?) AT tanks and hurling rounds in at extreme range. The little feckers!

I love a decent RTS, but I'm truly hopeless at them online. The key problem I have dates back to the days of Dune 2. I spend FAR too much time concentrating on base building, only to realise when its far too late, that the opposition has leap-frogged me in unit development and laying waste to pitiful entry-level units. Leave me alone for 20mins and then come back - lol!

D.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
its more like the original c&c out of those two, or even DoW1.

I love a decent RTS, but I'm truly hopeless at them online. The key problem I have dates back to the days of Dune 2. I spend FAR too much time concentrating on base building, only to realise when its far too late, that the opposition has leap-frogged me in unit development and laying waste to pitiful entry-level units. Leave me alone for 20mins and then come back - lol!

exactly the same i like having a big base full of the top tier tech before i launch an assault, online play is more about rushing which imo is less enjoyable.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
its more like the original c&c out of those two, or even DoW1.

exactly the same i like having a big base full of the top tier tech before i launch an assault, online play is more about rushing which imo is less enjoyable.

So very true. I played a Capture Point game on CoH a while back and the opposing guy simply built three of his fastest units and sent them out to capture the points. When he had over half of them, it was virtually impossible to claw the game back as I simply didn't have the resources to attack back or capture points myself. Over and done very quickly and quite pointless imo.

D.

I beg to differ, its all about getting that balance between rushing and building your base. Rush too soon and you will have no economy to defend late game. Sit back and defend too much, you will lose map control and are unable to gather the other resources so then all your opponent has to do is sit back contain you. In any RTS it is all about learning what your opponent is doing and trying to counter it rather then stay in your little bubble waiting for the inevitable attack.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I beg to differ, its all about getting that balance between rushing and building your base. Rush too soon and you will have no economy to defend late game. Sit back and defend too much, you will lose map control and are unable to gather the other resources so then all your opponent has to do is sit back contain you. In any RTS it is all about learning what your opponent is doing and trying to counter it rather then stay in your little bubble waiting for the inevitable attack.

I see where you're coming from, but it's about the enjoyment of the game more than anything - rather than how it 'should' be played online. Like I openly admitted, I'd get slaughtered online even by a 6-year-old because of the way I play it.

I absolutely loved the campaign mode of the CoH series - some of those set plays during the map(s) were simply awesome. The latter Tales of Valour was a bit weak on the campaign front, but it did add to the experience as a whole.

One of my favourite methods of playing CoH is to team-up with a m8 and take on two or three AI opposition. Backing each other up (especially with mutually supportive units) makes for a really enjoyable game, imo. My m8 saved my ass loads of times on the last co-op game as the Krauts just seemed to like targetting me! Luckily that meant that my m8 could do a fair bit of damage to them from the flanks. My sole knight in shining armour was a Sherman Calliope tank providing plenty of indirect fire. :)

D.

Lol of the few RTS's I have played I also loved building up a huge base first and then launching one mega anihiliation assault! All offline!

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Can anyone tell me, am i going to be able to play this bearing in mind i somehow missed out on the first? I dunno if i didn't have the money or what, i couldn't play and appreciate such an old game now.

I would assume that since it has been so long that this game will be playable and will make sense without playing the first?

Yes mate I never played the first neither, You get the story while the game is installing too if you havent read up on it beforehand.

If anyone on here has it add my battle.net ID - billycotton@gmail.com or my Profile name in SC - AceOfSpades

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

I'm very keen to try a demo out to test this comment out alone. If true, there will be no way I'll buy it. Games are meant to be fun, a bit taxing on the grey matter and a challenge - but still fun. If after 45mins of keeping the CPU at bay, I end up loosing the game in 20secs because I didn't build a particular unit to fend off a flank move 5mins & 46secs ago in some obscure corner of the map - then it can feck off! ;)

I'm keen to hear all your comments on SC2 though, guys...

D.

I'm very keen to try a demo out to test this comment out alone. If true, there will be no way I'll buy it. Games are meant to be fun, a bit taxing on the grey matter and a challenge - but still fun. If after 45mins of keeping the CPU at bay, I end up loosing the game in 20secs because I didn't build a particular unit to fend off a flank move 5mins & 46secs ago in some obscure corner of the map - then it can feck off! ;)

I'm keen to hear all your comments on SC2 though, guys...

D.

My comment was intended in multiplayer only, 1 player/campaign is morwe forgiving

GTD, Lupo
It's great, played it for about 10 hours yesterday. Not played multilayer yet but I will wait a couple of days I think.

Paul

Clio 182
I am enjoying this, started the single player only done 3 missions so far but it looks like it could take a while to complete. Beat some punk last night on multiplayer i do like the practice league very good idea.

GTD, Lupo
Yeah top game. Think i have almost finished the single player game but cant get to grips with the multiplayer game. Im sure i will in time.

Paul

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You'll never win online unless you're using hotkeys.

Wanna know why?

Watch:

Last edited by a moderator:
  BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
That is mental, but did anyone notice he wasn't actually doing a lot, seemed like he was highlighting units a fair bit...i could beat him ;)