ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Performance Mods for MK2 1.2

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Is it worth getting a K&N filter for it? Are there any other cheapish modifications for the engine that would be worth getting to make the car very slightly faster and sound a lot better than it does?

It's a '98 Phase 1, 8 valve 1.2.

Petrol Blue 182.
aparently not, you loose performance iirc, do what im doing, get motorbike carbs :cool: strip the car out too, i have and im quite suprised with the results tbh

clio 172 cup, 106 gti
my m8 had a universal filter on his 1.2 8 valve an the noise that came from it was mad lol such a deep rumble from such a small engine, if ur goin 4 more bhp gain dnt bother. if ur goin for the noise great mod ;)

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
my m8 had a universal filter on his 1.2 8 valve an the noise that came from it was mad lol such a deep rumble from such a small engine, if ur goin 4 more bhp gain dnt bother. if ur goin for the noise great mod ;)

I thought so, it's such a small engine there wouldn't be much point in performance modifications but if I can get something that would make it sound better than would be a total bonus.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Sounds better is an understatement, when i did this to mine, i had friends with MUCH nicer cars than i did who were more than shocked by just how great it sounded. A couple tried buying filters for their 1.4 etc and it was no where near as loud and not as much of a deep grunt.

O4 Dynamique
Ive got a 1.2 16v, and I wanted to do some engine mods but I realised that at the end of the day, it will always be a 1200cc engine.

Im just going to save my money for my next car.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Sounds better is an understatement, when i did this to mine, i had friends with MUCH nicer cars than i did who were more than shocked by just how great it sounded. A couple tried buying filters for their 1.4 etc and it was no where near as loud and not as much of a deep grunt.

What product did you fit to your car mate?

Petrol Blue 182.
on the ph1 theres a senser on the air box itself iirc, temperature sensor or something? so i think you have to get a IK specificaly for the ph1, cant use any universal poop from halfords

133, 182, Kangoo 182
I've got an induction kit and the noise it makes is awesome. I didn't notice a performance decrease and IMO it actually made it feel more responsive.. ofc that could just be the psychological effect.

Will be stripping mine out soon and getting some lighter wheels and a SS catback and decat. Should make it sound and perform pretty nicely for a 1.2. :)

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
on the ph1 theres a senser on the air box itself iirc, temperature sensor or something? so i think you have to get a IK specificaly for the ph1, cant use any universal poop from halfords

Valuable bit of information there cheers bud. I'm gonna take it up to an AutoSave shop near me, those guys seem to know what they're on about see if they have what I need. How much roughly would this piece of kit be?

133, 182, Kangoo 182
A cone will allow more air in so will make it sound beefier. If you use a cone it would be a good idea to get a head shield and if you have more money then a cold air feed so it sucks in cold air from outside instead of warm air from engine bay (causing a performance decrease).

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Again depends on the brand but probably around £100 for a kit and cold air feed. A kit should include the 90' bend and some include the heat shield. I've not seen inside a PH1 non-sport engine bay but you might get away with positioning it somewhere where heat won't be a big issue.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Where would you recommend sticking the end of the cold air feed tube?

Couzens it doesn't say anything in the log book about a temp sensor?

Here's some pics of the engine bay:

Any specific type of Induction Kit you could recommend?