ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph-Quick Rally Car Build

RB 182 Cup
I thought that I would start a thread detailing the build of my Ph1 172 Tarmac rally car. I know that Hollister has a thread going about his rally car build, but my car isn't going to be anywhere near as competative as his, as I have not got the budget. :( The independant throttle bodies and 6 speed sequential box will have to wait!

This car is going to be built loosely around group N regs, so pretty standard mechanically. Over time I will modify the car more, as funds allow. For now though, I just want to do all the time consuming shell prep, and get the car ready to compete, so that I have a good solid base to build from in the future.

I never meant to buy a 172 to build into a rally car, although I have always thought about it for years. I was actually looking for a Metro GTI on ebay (told you the budget was small!), and thought I'd do a search for a 172. Anyway, I ended up winning this:

172ebay.jpg

My mate collected the it for me today, and it was the first time I'd seen the car. Apart from the damage to the engine, detailed below, its in really good nick!

The cambelt had snapped, and the previous owner was told he needed a new engine. The head was in the boot, and has been partially stripped, so we dug it out and checked it over.

DSCF0254.jpg

DSCF0255.jpg

The pistons are all fine, and on closer inspection of the valves, only the 8 inlet valves apear to be bent. I am going to change the exhaust valves as well, as a precaution though. All the bits to repair the engine have now been ordered, and when the new valves are lapped in the head will be sent off to be skimmed and pressure tested. Then the hard work will begin! :)

As it stands now, unaware that its gonna be ripped apart, and thrashed!

DSCF0253.jpg

Oh, and my last couple of rally cars:

IMG_8805.jpg

Corsa08.jpg

I will update this thread as and when things progress. Thanks for looking!

M

mini-valver

Great project! CAnt wiat to see you start the build. Good luck fella!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That fiesta was on ebay not so long ago!! I was going to bid on it!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
the picture of the head with the valve on the left had me baffled for a bit, until i realised the valve wasnt there lol

more clios been used properly threads poping up yay, makes me wana do a build thread for my car

RB 182 Cup
That fiesta was on ebay not so long ago!! I was going to bid on it!

Yeah, I saw it was back on there. Must have been the guy that bought it off me. He was a bit optimistic about the power output though... It made 135 at the wheels when I had it rolling roaded. The fester was my first rally car, and was good fun to build. It crossed my mind to buy it back... Cheap for £2500!

Clio 220 lpg
Good luck with your project, the clio is a fantastic rally car and it is good to see someone else on here spending there time making a compertition car and not a track day car.

Rally Cinquecento
Good to see a proper motorsport build for a change. As said makes a change from a track day car.

See more clios' poping up about the place now in rallys, especialy Single Venues. There were two in Anglsey over the weekend, ond Pink Mk1, that got a 16th o/a and a 1st in class if i remember correctly, and a Mk2 Ph2. The guy had just finished building it for the event and was complaining about his seading, car 58, but as he put it with 220bhp, he would be cought up by a few F1000 Micras out in front of him. Well safe to say he didnt get caught up, he didnt even do one stage! He rolled it on the second corner of the first stage! Hitting some tires on the out side of a corner he took flat out in the damp on cold tyres! The driver and nav were ok thankfully but the car, well that will deffo not be back on the cuircit! lucky if the engine is still usabe!

Power is nothering without control, as they say :rasp:

172 cup
Good to see a proper motorsport build for a change. As said makes a change from a track day car.

See more clios' poping up about the place now in rallys, especialy Single Venues. There were two in Anglsey over the weekend, ond Pink Mk1, that got a 16th o/a and a 1st in class if i remember correctly, and a Mk2 Ph2. The guy had just finished building it for the event and was complaining about his seading, car 58, but as he put it with 220bhp, he would be cought up by a few F1000 Micras out in front of him. Well safe to say he didnt get caught up, he didnt even do one stage! He rolled it on the second corner of the first stage! Hitting some tires on the out side of a corner he took flat out in the damp on cold tyres! The driver and nav were ok thankfully but the car, well that will deffo not be back on the cuircit! lucky if the engine is still usabe!

Power is nothering without control, as they say :rasp:

I think you'll find they say 'power is nothing without control' :rasp:

Be good to see the op's car when done :D
how much did it cost to get the parts for the engine rebuild then?

RB 182 Cup
Wel today, bits to repair the engine have been turning up, and I've lapped in 4 of the new valves, and got bored! :boring:

Tommorow I'll get the rest done, and fit the new valve stem seals, and refit the valve springs and collets, so that it can go away and be machined and pressure tested. I'm well impressed with the inlet tracts on the head for a standard engine. The manifolds need matching though, so will probably get these done whilst its in bits.

182 Trophy (#27/500)
This stands to be one of the most interesting project threads yet!!!Cant wait to see it develope!!!

RB 182 Cup
Just a bit of an update...

The head is back from the machine shop and looks all shiney and new!

DSCF0261-1.jpg

Was hoping to get it back on over the weekend, but the head bolts are wrong! :banghead:

So, instead I've started to strip out unwanted parts.

DSCF0256.jpg

Decided to take Wednesday off to get the thing running, as I don't want to buy the cage until I know the car drives ok. Hopefully a better update Wednesday night!

RB 182 Cup
My overdue update then...

Came down with a bad case of man flu on Wednesday, but I'd already taken the day off, and the next chance to work on the car for any more than a few minutes at a time will be Christmas. So, I ploughed on regardless... :dead:

Started the day at 8:30 am (did I mention that I had the flu?!) with a big pile of bits.

100_1465.jpg

100_1468-1.jpg

And slowly put them all back togeather. Only ended up with 1 spare part in the end, a plastic pipe holder for the now removed A/C system. Not bad as I didn't take it apart!

So I got it back to the point where it should run, reconnected the battery and span the engine over with the coil pack unplugged to get the oil ways primed and the tappets pumped back up, reconnected the coil pack, crossed my fingers and span the engine over....

100_1469-1.jpg

And bloody nothing happened! :mad:

A quick check showed no spark, and at that point I noticed the immobiliser light was doing its nut. So after 10 hours straight work, (I had a really bad cold by the way. I nearly died!) the car still didn't run. :(

I'm really keen to get this boring part of the project over with, so I can document all the more interesting things that I'll be doing. However, I have a key bloke coming on Wednesday this week to try and recode the 1 key I have, and I have another spare key on order from Renault that should be with me by the weekend, so fingers crossed I'll get to hear it run this week!

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Good write-up so far mate.

Looking forward to seeing how the car progresses, as I'm in the process of making my ph1 'race-ready' for my first season next year...

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you snaffle the car for (with the knackered engine)?? If you don't want to post, feel free to PM... :eek:

Cheers, Baggers.

Rally Cinquecento
The driver has got a replacement shell and the car will be back out once it's fitted.

Good to hear, just recently saw a pic of the car before the off and it looked realy nice. Lesson learnt i suppose!

Good to see the project comeing along :)

RB 182 Cup
ITS ALIVE!

Replacement key turned up today, and the car started first turn.

Well chuffed!

Found a brand new cage for sale through the forum, and have sent the money off for that, so looks like I'll be mostly fitting that over the coming weeks!

RB 182 Cup
what's the cage, still going omp?

Yeah, got a cage off of a Clio sport member. OMP bolt in. Been sat in his garage for over a year. Bit of surface rust apparently, but never been fitted though. Was supposed to be with me tomorrow, but parcel force returned it to him as part of the packaging came off and exposed a sharp edge! Bloody health and safety!