ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 icv fault

I have a sticky idle on the ph1 and after cleaning the throttle body and replacing the throttle cable it still appears.

This thinking it's the icv, I have searched the forum but there's a few contradicting threads, if I put my thumb over inlet to the idle control valve and it tries to cut the engine out does this mean its working?

Thanks in advance!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It could be the IACV sticking or the seal leaking but I've also seen faulty TPS's cause 'sticking' throttle symptoms on the Ph1's to.

So, I've now replaced the throttle body, replaced the tps the its and the map sensor and the revs are down to 1250 at idle once warmed up.

Could this be an air leak, I put new ngk plugs in so the inlet manifold has been off but I was sure I replaced this properly

Ph1
Did you replace the throttle body with a 2nd hand one? Iv been waiting 3 months for a new one to arrive from Renault lol so if you fitted a 2nd hand one could be that?
Easy way to check if its a throttle body or cable related is when its stuck holding its revs turn the throttle holder (black circular disk on the TB) anti-clockwise to closed position. If it lowers the revs its either your cable or a sticking throttle body.

As for air leaks when iv had them in the past its usually idling at roughly 1500 - 2000rpm + of constant idling.

Did you replace the throttle body with a 2nd hand one? Iv been waiting 3 months for a new one to arrive from Renault lol so if you fitted a 2nd hand one could be that?
Easy way to check if its a throttle body or cable related is when its stuck holding its revs turn the throttle holder (black circular disk on the TB) anti-clockwise to closed position. If it lowers the revs its either your cable or a sticking throttle body.

As for air leaks when iv had them in the past its usually idling at roughly 1500 - 2000rpm + of constant idling.

Second hand mate, gave it a full strip down and cleaned then re greased where needed, it's in alot better condition than mine.

Tested the throttle body and it's definitely not that sticking, it returns to shut straight away.

Must be something else

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The only way you can really tell the condition of a TPS is to look at it 'electronically'.

It may not be physically damaged but if faulty could be telling the ecu that at idle the pedal request is still for 14% (just an example) so the revs increase. It could also be a few other things such as speed sensor, pas pres. switch... all which would require a pretty in depth diag session.

Mick

phase 1 172
spray carb cleaner gently around amywhere it could leak air while its running and a change in engine note will show you your leak

1st port of call inlet mani to head and work back to airbox

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Second hand mate, gave it a full strip down and cleaned then re greased where needed, it's in alot better condition than mine.

Tested the throttle body and it's definitely not that sticking, it returns to shut straight away.

Must be something else

It's not possible to do a 'full' strip down of a throttle body and put it back together properly, you'll likely bend the shaft slightly getting the screws out to remove the plate. Buy a new one - I had one that I kept cleaning for years (as I'm tight!). I bought an unused one and the car drives like new - makes a world of difference. You can order new ones via Adam at Wolverhampton Renault.

SQ5
It's not possible to do a 'full' strip down of a throttle body and put it back together properly, you'll likely bend the shaft slightly getting the screws out to remove the plate. Buy a new one - I had one that I kept cleaning for years (as I'm tight!). I bought an unused one and the car drives like new - makes a world of difference. You can order new ones via Adam at Wolverhampton Renault.

Not true.

I stripped mine and had it powder coated and we polished the inside and the actual flap and was always fine. No issues at all.

Cheers mick, I changed the tps again as I don't have access to a clip till next week, and my lad is removed so the switch is just unplugged.

As far as the throttle body is concerned it is possible to strip them down as Danny says, I've done it to this one and rebuilt it.

A mixture of stripping the inlets down, new gaskets and new parts seems to of cured it for now, cheers to everyone who helped!

clio 172 sport ph1
i have the opposite korky mate,my revs are slightly lower,tried everything simple,plugs,leads etc,goin to try fuel filter next,wish me luck lol