ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 172 not starting!! mot today.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Hi guys my wife's 172 won't start.
I got it to start this morning ran it for 15 mins turned it off and tried to restart it and it fired straight away.
10 mins later and now it won't start.
The car has been sat for about 14 months.
The fuel pump kicks in and I've changed the crank sensor over and still nothing! All the lights go out on the dash.
The other day it wouldn't start I gave it a light squit of easy start just to see what happened and it started straight away and carried on running fine.
Any suggestions?
It has an mot at 4pm today!
I have my ph1 so I can swap bits over I'll try the coil now! But I think it's fuel related and I have pressed the roll over valve.
Thanks

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Not the coil either and thete's defiantly fuel in th fuel rail!

Please help!!
Any suggestions at all?

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, i'd be looking at the battery.

Stick a set of leads between yours and hers.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Battery spins it over really well. I've just got another coil and leads.
Also I've left her coil pack and cank sensor on my car and it doesn't seem the same!
Someone else suggested the 3 relays aswell.
I'll try them
Thanks guys

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
It's definitely got no spark.
I've put another lead and plug in and it's got no spark.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
I did put a fresh gallon in the other day.

It's just annoying as it started this morning!

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
No, tried that just now and nothing.
Someone's mentioned the wiring to the crank sensor can corrode?
I haven't got a test light or multimeter to hand so it's hard work at the minute!

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Well I got it started, but I'm scared to turn it off!
Don't know why?
The battery got really weak so I used a jump pack and it fired up!

What is the correct battery for these? I fitted an 063 but the original battery was a lot bigger. Just wondering If there's not enough amps in an 063 when cranking?

PH2 172
Well I got it started, but I'm scared to turn it off!
Don't know why?
The battery got really weak so I used a jump pack and it fired up!

What is the correct battery for these? I fitted an 063 but the original battery was a lot bigger. Just wondering If there's not enough amps in an 063 when cranking?
I have a cheap & cheerfull Motrio 063 supplied by Mick @diamond for £27.58 i/c vat last December & have had no problems.
I do use the car every day though.
Get a drop test done on the battery to prove you haven`t got a naff one.
If the dash lights come on when your cranking the engine/ or the trip computer resets itself,you probably have a battery on the way out.

SQ5
I've had this with Clio's before, battery reads fines but when cranking it's a massive draw. Still cranks and spins but will not start.

Just needs a new battery.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
I have a cheap & cheerfull Motrio 063 supplied by Mick @diamond for £27.58 i/c vat last December & have had no problems.
I do use the car every day though.
Get a drop test done on the battery to prove you haven`t got a naff one.
If the dash lights come on when your cranking the engine/ or the trip computer resets itself,you probably have a battery on the way out.

I've had this with Clio's before, battery reads fines but when cranking it's a massive draw. Still cranks and spins but will not start.

Just needs a new battery.

Thanks guys I think I'll try it with a new battery and see how it goes.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Forgot to mention the car past mot with flying colours. It's so different driving it compared to mine.
Being standard.