ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 track shed

172 5HED
As some of you know I am getting rid of the 197 that was meant to be my track toy, a crippling finance payment, s**te fuel economy and other issues have meant it has to go.

Got a couple of good petrol head mates who fancied a track toy so we set about looking. We knew we wanted a ph1 172 as its a quick little car that, with some minor tweaks, can be quite capable on track.

After some searching we discovered this sorry looking example....

BqDWcNgBGkKGrHqIH-EIEuYPO7U19BLuIsP.jpg

BqDUbBmkKGrHqMH-C8EuZKlzpQwBLuIv8yo.jpg

BqDVvNg2kKGrHqYH-CYEuZ0OMcRBLuIpCfm.jpg

BqDYh6QB2kKGrHqYH-D4EuUf0ErBLuI1WM-.jpg

Looking past the battle scars it seemed ideal for what we wanted. Damage is only cosmetic and for track use all we really need is a bumper. Bonnet will be pinned (as its a rare ally one) and we have plans for the passenger side light.

All this for the tidy sum of £520

Car arrives tomorrow and striping starts Thursday.;)

Last edited:

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I cant believe you complained about fuel economy on the 197 when you spent thousands to get it to 200bhp!

172 5HED
Hope to see you out on track dude, bargin price that

What mods you looking at ?

Cams?

I'm running421's I love them

Basics really, handling and brakes, stripped and a couple of minor engine tweaks, no cams tho!

I cant believe you complained about fuel economy on the 197 when you spent thousands to get it to 200bhp!

It was s**t to begin with, I fully expected it to get worse, wasnt a prob untill other issues forced my hand. Im not complaining about it, its just one of the things that when added up, meant it had to go!

Swift Sport
Glad to see you're back with a project Kev :) My mate has done exactly the same thing, he bought a Ph1 172 for £800 that needs some love.

Be interested to see how you both get on :)

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I must admit the fuel economy on the 197 is pretty pants.

I drove mine like a nun and returned 27mpg - I drive the exclusive like a hooligan with a decat and return 34mpg!

172 5HED
I must admit the fuel economy on the 197 is pretty pants.

I drove mine like a nun and returned 27mpg - I drive the exclusive like a hooligan with a decat and return 34mpg!

Yerp, its pretty dire TBH! What also doesnt help is the bird has moved me miles away from where I uxsed to live!

LY R26
keep us all posted.

Your 197 was ace so this should be just as good :D

i found the 182 is more fun than the 197 was so no doubt you'll see the same

Darren

172 5HED
Just seen the old girl on the trailer back from mid wales. Rcpts for hundreds just recently, new bearings, new rad, grooved front discs etc, two new back tyres (not what I need but will sell), Ali bonnet.... cant wait to get cracking tomorrow!

172 5HED
Progress today ;)

Got the old girl off the trailer to take off the mashed bits

CIMG9520.jpg

Looking better :D not much damage at all TBH!

CIMG9523.jpg

Then we started tinkering

CIMG9529.jpg

Rear stripped
CIMG9527.jpg

Front stripped
CIMG9530.jpg

CIMG9528.jpg

Tons of sound deadening.... out it came
CIMG9533.jpg

CIMG9534.jpg

The junk...
CIMG9535.jpg

Thats all for now, just a pic of the new off road stance to finish lol!

CIMG9537.jpg

e91 330d/type r mini
lol so thas why mine sits so bloody high, never realised how far up the car sits once stripped. mine sits like that and i have sportlines fited aswell :(.
cant believe how much you go done in one day :)
damage looks very minimal which is a bonus

TrackCar & F30 330d
4x4 lol.

You going to be chopping the second skins out of the doors, bonnet and boot? Quite a lot of weight to be saved there.

172 5HED
lol so thas why mine sits so bloody high, never realised how far up the car sits once stripped. mine sits like that and i have sportlines fited aswell :(.
cant believe how much you go done in one day :)
damage looks very minimal which is a bonus

Aye, less than I thought TBH mate! Sits bloody high tho!

4x4 lol.

You going to be chopping the second skins out of the doors, bonnet and boot? Quite a lot of weight to be saved there.

Show me the way mate.... just worry about strength:eek:

172 5HED
Great project,you have got yourselfs a right bargain there,will make you a nice cheap track car:cool:

Guess whos car it was inspired by????!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Should be a flyer by the time we're done! What have you got suspension wise on yours? Looks like it handles well mate!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Show me the way mate.... just worry about strength:eek:

This is the amount i chopped out of my heavy 182 bonnet
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024 x 768 and is 208 KB.
DSC00265.jpg

And this is the amount i chopped out of my boot.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024 x 768 and is 101 KB.
DSC00272.jpg

I'll only be doing the doors when my cage gets put in :)

172 5HED
You pussy, where's the Dci :(

Couldnt turn this down at the price mate!!:cool:

This is the amount i chopped out of my heavy 182 bonnet
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024 x 768 and is 208 KB.
DSC00265.jpg

And this is the amount i chopped out of my boot.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024 x 768 and is 101 KB.
DSC00272.jpg

I'll only be doing the doors when my cage gets put in :)

Sweet, ta mate, will have a good crack at the boot, we have the ali bonnet on this but could still get some bits off ;)

Sore Subject
I cant wait for us to get this thing done, you both got some work done after i left 10 out of 10 for effort!! :cool:;)

Hyundai i40
great project kev

look forward to seeing it....finished...well it will never be finished knowing u