ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph172 v Focus ST

I wasn't too offended by the 182's gearbox tbh. But then I have been driving a Corsa Sport for years which has an absolutely dire gearbox. Before that it was a Fiesta Zetec S and that was superb. The Father-in-laws Focus was pretty good as well.

The biggest problem with the Corsa was changing up from 1st to 2nd. If you tried to do it at all quickly then it'd stick. Your foot would automatically let go of the clutch resulting in a hideous grinding noise and much howling of engine while you coasted, powerless. Most embarrassing! At least the 182 goes up nicely through the gears. I just have some problems changing down from 3rd to 2nd. Hopefully I'll get used to that though.

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
I hate these threads and the 2 cars are, as people have said, quite different but I'll put my 2p in as I am thinking of going the other way, to a Focus ST.

I've only test driven the ST and found it to have really accurate steering, and good body control & obviously grip. Being able to choose different weightings of steering helps too. The ST was really good but my feelings were, it felt like quite a large, heavy car (it is fairly). I expected more punch from a 2.5 turbo, but it's all very refined - the boost doesn't come in like it ought to in a hot hatch. I remember driving a Megane F1 team at the time and an astra vxr (which has a much higher power to weight ratio) and being far more impressed by the punch of those but the handling of the focus was better. The engine sound was nice in the I read somewhere they limit or modulate the boost pressure in 1st and 2nd gear in the focus instead of letting the boost pressure peak as it naturally would? This can certainly be felt. I can imagine a remapped one being really good. The standard one for me (this might sound silly) but did some things too well and lacked any of the traits a hot hatch should have. The Astra VXR had some of those traits, it's raw punchiness but didn't handle well. Funnily enough, the best compromise was the Megane IMO at the time! Tried a new shape Civic Type R too which was a nice place to be, great engine but lacking power for the size of the car.

I am surprised by all the comments about the gearbox on the clio as mine is really slick, has a nice weight to it and no slop in it despite 95,000 miles. The focus by comparison, I thought felt light and notchy.

Seats in the clio I don't mind either but the recaro's in the focus are probably better. Incidentally, don't want to go off topic but how to people feel the ST fairs against the old RS focus?

Oh, just realised this is an old topic anyway!

Nick

Clio 172 ph1
I really like the gearbox on my 172! The gear stick moves really "definitely" between gears, as opposed to my last few cars (Peugeots) which have been quite wishy washy, admittedly I stalled a few times when I first bought it thanks to the rather sudden bite point on the clutch though :eek: >_<

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Dont be a sheep and get a ST.. MPS is far better value for money! Maybe bland looks for some people but thats what i love about them propper q car!

got mine for 7k on a 07 69k and 5k worth of mods!
standard spec is full in dash multi cd bose sound system, digital climate control, auto wipers, auto xenons, half leather embossed seats and focus RS performance... downside is its £100 more tax every 6 months than other hot hatches....

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Good point about the MPS - they have so much kit as standard. The new version just comes into the 225g/km class for tax too! Not quite the performance of a Foucs RS I wouldn't have thought .. 256bhp and 380Nm rather than 300bhp and 440Nm, quite a difference. Think the old MPS is a bit heavier than RS too. Nevertheless, a better spec than the ST, faster and more kit.

Think they have an LSD standard too?

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Well on evo tests 0-100 (60-100) times are mps= 14.3 (8.2) and rs 14.2 (8.3)
Rs is heavier and am sure any honest owner of either will tell u they are pretty much identical. Obvious thr rs is the better car but its mps vs ST in this mini debate.

Yeah mps has lsd as standard

Last edited: