ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phone warranty with Orange - Tom perhaps?

172 Cup
The scenario..

My mate decides to start a pay monthly contract with Orange about 8 months ago and picks a Sony Ericsson phone.

All is good up until a couple of weeks ago when the phone dies. He contacts Orange who state "We're only responsible for the first 6 months of the warranty. Go away and phone SE yourself" which he does.

The phone is posted to SE who keep giving him excuses. A SE "manager" has just called him back to say that they are waiting on a spare part and it will be another 2 weeks before his phone is returned. Orange have washed their hands of the problem and say if a problem develops after 6 months then it's not their problem. BTW he still has to pay his line rental during all this.

As I'm with Vodafone, who have previously replaced my faulty phone in less than 48 hours, this sounds like a complete piss take.

My question is this.. If he took out the contract with Orange and pays the bill directly to Orange every month then surely his "Contract of Sale" is with Orange and therefore they should be responsible for 12 months warranty and not palm it off to the manufacturer after 6 months.

Tom are Orange well known in the industry for treating customers like this or is my mate an exception to the rule?

Last edited:
A few timesI've had to contact Orange regarding a phone not working right and they sendsomeone around with a new one the next day and to pick up my old one. thats within one year.

Sy

SLK250 CDI
My question is this.. If he took out the contract with Orange and pays the bill directly to Orange every month then surely his "Contract of Sale" is with Orange and therefore they should be responsible for 12 months warranty and not palm it off to the manufacturer after 6 months.

Tom are Orange well known in the industry for treating customers like this or is my mate an exception to the rule?

Yes, this is Orange's interpretation of the sale of goods act - they will defend it against anything.

The only avenue to pursue a claim against Orange is by suing them for costs, claiming that they are in the wrong by not handling the repair themselves (as you claim that the phone was not fit for the purpose for which it was supplied).

Skoda Fabia vRS
everything electrical MUST come with a 12 month warranty

id say myself Orange are fully responsible for it as they are the retailer, i did a course on all this kind of stuff a year or so ago

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
A few timesI've had to contact Orange regarding a phone not working right and they sendsomeone around with a new one the next day and to pick up my old one. thats within one year.

Sy

same here, ive had about 4!! all sony ericsson aswell. Even broke a few by mistake and they still covered them under warranty. :quiet:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The problem lies with sonyericsson not orange however they do go by this bizarre 6 month thing which confuses everyone.

No network has an obligation to provide you with a working device UNLESS its specified within your contract (and it isn't)

Take the phone plus proof of purchase to a carphone warehouse and it will be sorted in 28 days. Its all down to the repair agent, NEVER send the phone to SE/NOKIA Directly as they all have service centers that do the job in half the time. There's an SE agent 3 miles from my house that turns round jobs in days.

Orange will only replace phones on business contracts/customers on orange care/within 6 months.

172 Cup
The problem lies with sonyericsson not orange however they do go by this bizarre 6 month thing which confuses everyone.

No network has an obligation to provide you with a working device UNLESS its specified within your contract (and it isn't)

Take the phone plus proof of purchase to a carphone warehouse and it will be sorted in 28 days. Its all down to the repair agent, NEVER send the phone to SE/NOKIA Directly as they all have service centers that do the job in half the time. There's an SE agent 3 miles from my house that turns round jobs in days.

Orange will only replace phones on business contracts/customers on orange care/within 6 months.

Not dismissing the suggestion in any way, shape or form but what do people do without a phone for 4 weeks?

I'm just grateful I'm on a network that seems to care about customers..

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Quite simply they need to sort something out themselves.

CPW will provide a free VERY BASIC replacement handset while the phone is in for repair.
However this requires a sizable deposit which will be refunded.(£50)

Me being me i keep my previous handset as a spare for this very reason.
You can pick up an orange PAYG phone for around £20 and put your sim in it, this is the easiest solution.

Its not a case of the network not caring, its a case of them doing what they are contracted to to. If you want a network to help you in this situation you need to pay extra for a form of insurance.

For the record im on tmobile, and pay for insurance through carphone.

ST
I'm also on Orange and i had 3 samsung D900's last year over the course of my 18 month contract replaced under warranty every time...

I've also got phone insurance so if Orange come the cvnt i can claim for accidental damage on my insurance..

For the sake of a £25 excess charge and £5 a month its well worth if you have a handset thats worth more than £200.

dk

911 GTS Cab
quite a few manufacturers do this.

Sony Vaio for instance require you to send the laptop back to them and don't allow retailers to service them.

So after the DOA period (think its 2 weeks) it HAS to go back to Sony. Now you may say your contract is with the retailer and for this reason the retailer will send the item off on your behalf but i wouldn't recommend this as it takes longer and the retailer doesn't care when it comes back so isn't likely to chase it for you.

Sure theres another laptop manufacturer that deos the same, think its toshiba. We have to send a document to customers making sure they know this before buying sony laptops to make sure they don't come back to us when they have a problem.