ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Right, so from my very limited knowledge on flash...

It slides up and down for the focal length (where the 90is)
Thw red and blue, (maybe white and yellow too) are used for aperture I think. If you are shoting f2.8 and it is red on the scale, then click the switch to red.
That's what I think anyway from having a quick look.

Best way though, just chuck some new batteries in and fire off a load of shots using different settings.

Woops :eek:

DSC00255_zps12c292e2.jpg

Twingo Dynamique
Thanks Aaron, managed to find a manual online!! Haha, now I know roughly how it works hehe :) enough for what I want/need anyway! Now I just need to see if I can find something to use as a diffuser.. (Will it make much of a difference if I'm reflecting off ceiling anyway!?)

lol, yeh cracking bit of kit. It's not the quickest at f/4, but then you don't really need a fast wide angle lens.

The D600 is full frame iirc, so that's a good fit. I wouldn't really look at anything else.

Or there's the 14-24mm f/2.8. Full pro lens that, and not cheap.

Fiesta ST-3
Thanks guys. Is the step up between the two lenses really worth £500 dan? Also how wide is the 16-35 as you know I love my landscape photography.

16mm is wide on FF.

That's a bit over 10mm equivalent on cropped sensor, so yeh very wide.

Personally I wouldn't go for the f/2.8, it's super heavy too! LOTS of glass in it!

I'm sure theres comparisons of them online somewhere.

Fiesta ST-3
I went against your advice dan. I bought the 14-24mm f2.8. I've also ordered a lacroit adaptor and hi tech filters. Will get some pictures up if I manage to get out this weekend.

First impressions though the clarity is superb.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
It’s supposed to be an awesome lens, I’ll look forward to seeing the results!

I’m still surprised that Canon haven’t made a rival for it, but it could be argued that the 16-35mm F2.8L is more than adequate.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Did that sell then Teg? ^^^

Has anyone used Magic Lantern? I'm a bit dubious of installing it in case I brick my camera. Looks like some features would be useful, built in intervelometer would be handy, especially days when I forget mine!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted.
I spotted it had sold, just wasn't sure if it actually went. Just shown the Mrs as we were looking for an old camera. Didn't spot your ad in time :(

Anyone with a HTC one or I'm guessing any other android phone with IR. I've just downloaded a app called HTC IR universal remote and it allows me to use the phone as a shutter remote.

Erm, may have bought a 5D MkII today ;)

Bit stuck though, ideally don't want to spend more than about £800 to nail everything below motorsport focal lengths (i.e. 24-120mm), big gaps are fine as long as I have something around 30mm and something around 100mm, used is also fine when factoring in cost (positively encouraged actually!)

- Canon 24-105mm f4
- Canon 50mm 1.4 & Canon 135mm f2
- Sigma 35mm 1.4 & Canon 85mm 1.8 (or 100mm f2)

Any thoughts? Head says 24-105, heart says fast primes, probably the 35/85 combo. I have my Sisters Wedding to cover in May but can hire to cover myself (probably a 24-70), so mainly just general walkaround, travel, baby pics etc.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
I've heard that 24-105 f4 is one of the worst "L" lens. I'd also forget Canon 50 f/1.4. It is not as good as it should be. Moreover that is said 50 f/1.8 IS would come this year. I'd consider Canon 35 f/2 instead of Sigma. It is cheaper and perhaps it has not as good IQ as Sigma has, but it performs very well above f/3.5 and acceptable between f/2-3.5 (on an APS-C body). Only the serious vignetting at f/2 would be problem on a FF body. Canon 85 f/1.8 is highly recommended lens.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I've heard that the 24-105 is sharper than my 24-70, but in practise they're both sharp I can tell you that having used both on the 5D2. Primes will be better of course. The one difference between the 24-105 and the 24-70 is the distortion, the 24-105 distorts quite badly at the wide end, where the 24-70 has hardly any. The primes should be distortion free too really.

I think if I bought the 24-105 I would forever be wanting the primes, so heading that way. Need to settle on something and stick with it as we've got a little one on the way in September and finances won't quite be so flexible then!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers Aaron! Is it a fixed 105mm lens or is that at full zoom? Think I will be investing in one of these

It'll be fixed.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma105mm/

Not that I'm wishing to p*ss on your parade... but how's the rest of your photography ? Macro is quite a specific area to get into .. the lense I'd imagine (on a crop camera??) will be rather long for anything apart from taking pics of insects on your desk haha :eek:

Or buy some close up filters and bolt them onto a 50mm 1.8. A Hoya Close Up +4 gets in very close on a 50mm, nice cheap way of experimenting.

The postie dropped off some L goodness today...

i-ccjbFRG-M.jpg

- Canon 135mm f2 (needs no explanation)

- Canon 20-35mm f2.8 (discontinued lens, about 20 years old and pretty rare now, £200! Absolute steal, apparently sharper than the modern replacements, solid metal too, they often sell for double that so I'm pleased with my efforts)