ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pipercross viper vs ITG Maxogen?

ITG are very good and their AB65 airbox as used in the Maxogen kit is far better designed and 'works' more effectively than the Pipercross viper. The bigger brother of the AB65, the AB80 is used in WTCC, Seat Super Copa and various other 'proper' race cars.

I'd recomend you feed any airbox from a high pressure zone on the front of the car if at all possible though to aid filling and minimise losses.

Cheers
M

Ph1
Loved my old Viper and defo made the car pull better once all set up and in conjunction with other mods but the foam tore so went Maxogen.

Maxogen kit is amazing. Quality is second to non, you'll never need to buy another!
In terms of performance the Maxogen pulls better near the top end than the Viper but tbh not a great deal in it.

If your planning on spending a lot on the engine as a whole id go Maxogen but if your only going to put basic mods on and maybe sell your car with in say 2 or 3 years id go CDA

ITG are very good and their AB65 airbox as used in the Maxogen kit is far better designed and 'works' more effectively than the Pipercross viper. The bigger brother of the AB65, the AB80 is used in WTCC, Seat Super Copa and various other 'proper' race cars.

I'd recomend you feed any airbox from a high pressure zone on the front of the car if at all possible though to aid filling and minimise losses.

Cheers
M

You seem like a pretty clued up chap from reading your posts, what do you do for a living?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Very expensive for no proven gain. I'd be more inclined to remove the acoustic valve, get an rs Tuner, spend £200 on a track day. You will gain more power with a custom remap than a maxogen/viper etc

Cheers
M
I read somewhere you needed to be doing silly speeds to actually create enough force to warrant it being at the front on the car?

Very expensive for no proven gain. I'd be more inclined to remove the acoustic valve, get an rs Tuner, spend £200 on a track day. You will gain more power with a custom remap than a maxogen/viper etc

In terms of aftermarket airboxes the ITG AB65/AB80 airbox is pretty much at the top of the game. Short of paying a lot of money to have a company design an induction/filtration setup specificaly for the requried application you'll struggle to outdo a well done setup with an AB65/AB80 at the heart of it.

Cheers
M

I read somewhere you needed to be doing silly speeds to actually create enough force to warrant it being at the front on the car?

You'll need huge forward speed and a well designed inlet feeding the airbox to achieve any useful amount of positive pressure in the box at WOT, the amount of inducted air at full chat is pretty huge! However feeding the box from the front of car does help to negate losses and aid airbox filling therefore increasing efficency.

It's really a case of doing it properly but having said that induction pickup points which aren't directly in the airflow can work perfectly well with little loss.

Cheers
M

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
In terms of aftermarket airboxes the ITG AB65/AB80 airbox is pretty much at the top of the game. Short of paying a lot of money to have a company design an induction/filtration setup specificaly for the requried application you'll struggle to outdo a well done setup with an AB65/AB80 at the heart of it.

Cheers
M

Fair enough, but on the 1*2 clio's, regardless of the quality, the gains are low and unproven.

ValverInBits
I got my viper for free, but i dont think they are worth more than £50

BMC CDA is a nice peice of kit, and Maxogen is just too expensive

Ph1
Fair enough, but on the 1*2 clio's, regardless of the quality, the gains are low and unproven.

Bit of a contradiction in your post there lol Gains are low and unproven. If there unproven how do you know the gains are low? ;)

Its proven on modded engines, not sure about on its own but its not just about performance where the cost lays.

The kit is on another level purely in design and build which you have to take into consideration too.

Ph1
Good to have someone in the know arguing the point in favour of the IK for a change lol - dying breed is a IK lover lol

Good to have someone in the know arguing the point in favour of the IK for a change lol - dying breed is a IK lover lol

If it was on a 225 I'd be telling you to keep the standard induction setup!

Point is there is no one solution for every car and what works for one probably won't work for another.

The 1X2 can benefit from changes to the induction/filtration setup. The 225 I've yet to see anything aftermarket make a positive difference, likewise for the 197.

Also I'd say the ITG AB65 based setup isn't really an induction kit, it is a proper airbox and designed as such. Induction Kit tends to conjour up images of a K&N filters on bits of drain pipe ;)

Cheers
M

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I run my 197 with the standard airbox. Just keep the paper filters changed at regular intervals. No need for aftermarket drop in filters imo

ST
I run my 197 with the standard airbox. Just keep the paper filters changed at regular intervals. No need for aftermarket drop in filters imo

There is mate...mine comes on cam .23 secs quicker with the ITG panel filter quicker than it did with the standard one..:eek:

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
There is mate...mine comes on cam .23 secs quicker with the ITG panel filter quicker than it did with the standard one..:eek:
well my R27 runs with a sock!!! dont say anything to any1 tho coz its for sale!!

Had 20k clocked off it too!!

;)

rps13
have you tried tesco value socks?

almost as good as the pringle ones i had

bit more induction roar though