ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

plasma or lcd?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I've read a lot of good remarks about that screen Steve, and it is currently in front.

One of the graphic artists here has one at home, if it's good enough for him it's got to be good. He's a serious film buff.

Did you get it with the cabinet?

No on the pedestal.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Panasonic TH-37PX70CAB 94cm V Plasma Panel, 1024 X 720 resolution, Ultra Slim, Intergrated Digital Tuner, 7 Day EPG, V- Real 2 Technology, 1080p Processing and Remastering, 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio, 3072 Shades Gradation, PC Input, 3 x Scarts, 2 x HDMI WITH VEIRA LINK, Includes Cabinet. (Available in March'07) £847.76 £996.12

LCD is for the uninformed, or 'sheep' who follow.

Just ordered that exact model, but not from there.. I got it from john lewis as you get a 5 year no quibble warranty.. !

The PX70 is one of thee best plasmas out there just now (for that price bracket)

Lee

BMW M2C
Panasonic TH-37PX70CAB 94cm V Plasma Panel, 1024 X 720 resolution, Ultra Slim, Intergrated Digital Tuner, 7 Day EPG, V- Real 2 Technology, 1080p Processing and Remastering, 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio, 3072 Shades Gradation, PC Input, 3 x Scarts, 2 x HDMI WITH VEIRA LINK, Includes Cabinet. (Available in March'07) £847.76 £996.12

Just ordered that exact model, but not from there.. I got it from john lewis as you get a 5 year no quibble warranty.. !

The PX70 is one of thee best plasmas out there just now (for that price bracket)

I think I'm going to do the same....once I've got something to sit on in the lounge.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Plasma every time.

They use less electic than lcd, on standby it's almost nothing unlike crt.

They don't get hot, you put your hand over the top of an lcd :S

Plasma has better contrast etc etc & put a black image on both & plasma is unbeatable.

They last 20 yrs or more so you'll be sick of the sight of it before it goes pop.

For fast moving images ie sports, again plasma, if you watch sky footie you'll be amazed.

They don't attract dust so dont need cleaning.

Lee look here ;)http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_95&products_id=650

&

anyone back this up with facts or is he talking waffle?

i went with lcd, no problems.

If im being honest.. (im a plasma fanboy)

Plasma uses a lot more electricity compared to LCD.. generates more heat as a byproduct, but does have much better contrast and will own LCD's when it comes to fast moving video..

But then we do have image retention problems..

hence why I said in my post above,

TV/Movies lovers = Plasma
Console Gamers = LCD.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
aint digging at him, genuinley curious, our lcd is always on standby, when we go to bed and that, does it use *that* much electric that we should turn it off properly? or isit not really noticeable?

LCD on standby uses virtually no electricity.. plamsa doesnt fair so well and is better to be turned off using the 'hard' off switch.

Thats why most LCD's dont have a 'hard' off switch.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I'd back up the thing with sports, especially in SD on LCD it can be awful to watch on some sets.

My question would be, when you watch a true 1080p picture on e.g. a 37-42" LCD tv, will the plasma ever be as good, as my understanding is that it can't display this resolution ? If it is as good then surely LCD's wouldn't exist, there would be no need for them.

Got a real hard decision on what 37" set to get next :dapprove: This one has to be right lol

On a 37" or for that matter anything less than a 50" you wouldnt notice the difference between 720 and 1080 at normal viewing distances..

seriosly..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I think I'm going to do the same....once I've got something to sit on in the lounge.

Sorry, I ordered the 42" not the 37... heh..

Ive done a LOT of research on this screen.. it looks awesome.. I get mine delivered this comming wednesday so will let you know if it lives up to its name.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
it would take about 15 years for a plasma to run out on constant

Just to correct.. in about 15 years of constant usage they would reach their 'half-life'. which means they will still work fine, they will just be half as bright as they were when they were new.

Monaco 172 2/468
Yeah will be nice to get a review of that set KDF, it sounds sweet :) and some pics :cool:

Just one thing I don't understand, that tv is quoted as being 1080p, apart from the fact I didn't think plasma's could be, it also says in the details section that the resolution in 1024x720. Whats that all about :S

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Its been plagued with problems.. so much so that toshiba (IIRC) have walked away and sold all their rights to SED technology..

I would put money on the fact that it will be delayed..

I have a friend at canon, they have a few working protos, i reckon the damage to the LCD/plasma market could cause that one to get filed in a draw, which is a huge shame.

Ive seen the tosh one in action, its stunning.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
KDF, sorry mate your info is out of date.

PLASMA and LCD - the FACTS
When it comes to finding out more about plasma and LCD, there are a number of myths out there that can be confusing. Here, Panasonic responds to some misconceptions and offers new information.

How do I choose between Plasma and LCD?
Size matters when it comes to making a choice. LCD is at its optimum performance up to and including 32", whilst plasma offers optimum performance at 37" and above. Panasonic Viera Plasma TV is currently the UK's Nr1 best-selling large screen TV. (see our chart below to help you make a choice).

Which is more energy efficient, Plasma or LCD?
The energy consumption of both is actually about the same in normal operating conditions. An LCD screen consumption is constant whereas with Plasma it fluctuates according to the brightness of a scene, eg when a scene is predominantly dark , a Plasma will use less energy. All in all the energy efficiency evens out for Plasma and LCD.

A popular Plasma myths dispelled
Does Flat Panel TV need re-gasing? No. Plasma gases are inert and sealed within tiny cells that are sandwiched between glass plates. There is never any need to re-charge or refill the Plasma.

Which technology has the longer life span Plasma or LCD?
The life span for both is dependent on viewing habits, but if both are watched for the same duration, one would expect the life span to be approximately the same, 60 000 hours, roughly twice the life span of older CRT technology.

In Summary : don't believe all that you hear

The new European research shown below clearly shows an overwhelming preference for Plasma, citing deeper blacks, richer colour reproduction and critically, the capability to accurately display fast moving action as key drivers.

These findings, coupled with the Fast Facts above, dispelling myths like shorter life, re-gasing and power consumption, conclusively support the case for Plasma when choosing a flat panel TV for the home.

NEW EUROPEAN RESEARCH RESUTS : Plasma offer the best all-round viewing.
Recent independent European research for Panasonic (the first in Europe into customer preferences for medium to large-screen TVs*) has revealed that after viewing plasma and LCD large screens, 73% rated Plasma as superior.

A majority of two to one rated Plasma as providing the best image quality and 72% felt that the best black quality was created by large Plasma screens. The research replicated the typical viewing conditions found in the home and produced very clear results.

Key statistics include

Sharpness : Plasma was deemed to provide the best sharpness experience by 61% of respondents compared to 22% for LCD.
Colour: Plasma was deemed to provide the best colour quality by 65% of people with LCD at 24%
Response speed: Plasma was earmarked as providing the best quality for response speed by 62% of people, with LCD scoring 15%, nearly a quarter of respondents believe that both technologies provide a similar performance.
Contrast: According to the survey. Plasma has the best contrast performance (61% indicated that Plasma performed best compared to 26% for LCD)

On standby plasma uses the least energy.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
g40steve, I stand corrected. I honest thought Plamsa would still draw more power than LCD when both were fully on...

Certainly on standby mode though LCD wins..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Yeah will be nice to get a review of that set KDF, it sounds sweet :) and some pics :cool:

Just one thing I don't understand, that tv is quoted as being 1080p, apart from the fact I didn't think plasma's could be, it also says in the details section that the resolution in 1024x720. Whats that all about :S

Ye, I can see why you got confused.

Its actually listed as having a 1080P scaler chip, which means it will happily accept 1080P but is then processed to look the best it can on what is a 720p screen.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Its been plagued with problems.. so much so that toshiba (IIRC) have walked away and sold all their rights to SED technology..

I would put money on the fact that it will be delayed..

I have a friend at canon, they have a few working protos, i reckon the damage to the LCD/plasma market could cause that one to get filed in a draw, which is a huge shame.

Ive seen the tosh one in action, its stunning.

Dont get me wrong, SED could end Plasma and LCD technologies for sure.. and I really hope it comes to fruition, I just don't think its going to happen as quickly as they make out.. or if they do they will be very buggy and crap till the 3rd-4th gen (Kinda like plasma really heh)

Audi TT 225
Look what I just got.... well delivered on Tuesday :evil:

LG 50PC1DA 50 inch bad boy :cool:
PC1D%20Front_L_lge.jpg

And an LG LTH550TB DVD + 5.1 Home cinema system and glass stand for £1649.

I know I "should" have got an LCD and my Xbox 360 wont look as good on it... but comparing them in the shop this just looked the fricken muts nuts :approve:

Come on Tuesday DAMN IT!!!

g40steve, I stand corrected. I honest thought Plamsa would still draw more power than LCD when both were fully on...

I'm still not so sure on that mate, our screen gets completely shut down by the control box and the control box itself then goes into a standby mode and is stone cold. I would say they would probably end even to a certain extent on power consumption.

Whoever said movies/films for plasma and LCD for consoles. Spot on in my opinion.

2012 WRX Waggon
I heard that Sony had stopped making Plasma screens now?

I'm going to Costco later to buy a BBQ, I'll post some pics of the TV's they have got for sale over here, and the prices!!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I'm still not so sure on that mate, our screen gets completely shut down by the control box and the control box itself then goes into a standby mode and is stone cold. I would say they would probably end even to a certain extent on power consumption.

Whoever said movies/films for plasma and LCD for consoles. Spot on in my opinion.

Hmm, i need to look into the electronics inside to be sure.

PS. It was me that said LCD=Games Plasma=Movies ;)

Punto/Clio GTT
aint digging at him, genuinley curious, our lcd is always on standby, when we go to bed and that, does it use *that* much electric that we should turn it off properly? or isit not really noticeable?

LCD on standby uses virtually no electricity.. plamsa doesnt fair so well and is better to be turned off using the 'hard' off switch.

Thats why most LCD's dont have a 'hard' off switch.

cheers for the info

Who buys a tv to leave it on standby anyways?

Look what I just got.... well delivered on Tuesday :evil:

LG 50PC1DA 50 inch bad boy :cool:
PC1D%20Front_L_lge.jpg

And an LG LTH550TB DVD + 5.1 Home cinema system and glass stand for £1649.

I know I "should" have got an LCD and my Xbox 360 wont look as good on it... but comparing them in the shop this just looked the fricken muts nuts :approve:

Come on Tuesday DAMN IT!!!

Same as mine mate, except mine is the 42" version.. The 360 on it is amazing! i honestly dont think you would notice any more of a difference with an LCD if it was better..

Audi TT 225
Thats good to know, LCD would suck at 50" I think. I compared many TV's even a 2999 pioneer 50" looked naff next to this one! LCD just had no competition they all looked dull, lifeless and blocky and this one just looked outstanding. And it was pretty cheep looking at the price of the other 50's.

I think Ive underestimated just how big this mofo is tho.... got the measuring tape out last night and me and the missus were a bit worried....
But who cares muwahahah

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
I really wouldn't go for a Panasonic plasma. Their CRTs were great, but their plasmas aren't. We have one at work (HiFi shop) and screen burn in occured v.quickly. The absolute best plasmas are FUJITSU ; Pioneer plamsas are very good too.

Plasma picture is better, but the LCDs can be more convinient, i.e. no screen burn worries.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I really wouldn't go for a Panasonic plasma. Their CRTs were great, but their plasmas aren't. We have one at work (HiFi shop) and screen burn in occured v.quickly. The absolute best plasmas are FUJITSU ; Pioneer plamsas are very good too.

Plasma picture is better, but the LCDs can be more convinient, i.e. no screen burn worries.

About 1000 professionals on avforums.com would disagree with you lol, but each to their own.

182FF c/w Recaros
Panasonic Plasma's are by and large, great.

Have one myself.

Screen burn, as long as you're carefull and don;t do anything stupid (leave a static screen on for 12 hours) it's not an issue, imo.

Unfortuantely, have the dreaded Purple Snakes Issue, therefore, given the amount of grief i've had over it, I couldn't recommend a Panasonic Plamsa, (or any other Panasonic product) ever again due to their DISGRACEFULL attitude and customer services.:mad:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I feel sorry for you with regards to the 'purple snakes' this is something I did check on the new PX70 model, and apparantly if you look hard enough you can still see them, so while the problem isnt really noticable anymore (professionals said they could only spot them from a distance of 2 feet), they still havent fixed the problem.

Isnt there supposed to be a new firmware out to fix it though ?

182FF c/w Recaros
I've had one "supposed" D Board replacement.

My Plasma has been in a workshop for 2 weeks now, awaiting a part from Panasonic.

The repair centre seem confident that they can sort it.

Second time lukcy perhaps? After that, giving up and going legal route if needed.

Depending on what you read, the repair seems provide a 50-90% fix.

Whilst I love my Panasonic Plasma (first ever Flat panel for me) and for 90% of the time it's chucking awesome, for the other 10% when the Snakes appear, it's horrendous.

I tell you this.

After Panasonic saw this picture and said it's perfectly normal.:eek: That was the final straw.

PB-002.jpg

Never again will I buy a Panasonic Product again.

Honestly, their customer service is as bad as Renault lol.:rolleyes:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Ye, that doesnt look 'normal'

I hope you get it sorted bud. If im not happy with the PX70 i can send it back no questions asked. Done quite a bit of research though so it should do what I want it to do.

The pioneers are also quite good just now, possible alternative to the panny.

Racin Blue 182

TBH most of the 'newer' screens have very low standby power consumption - my Pioneer 43" plasma consumes 0.7w on standby..... Don't think many LCD's would get much better....

Cal me old fashioned but you can't beat the old Cathode Ray Tube, I'm sticking with mine until it breaks, Im not tight, I just think it's a better picture than these new fangled flat screen jobbies. The flat screens are also the burglars this season must have!
I reckon in a year or two these new tellys will be better build & picture & cheaper, wait until everyones got one then sales will plummet, then they've got to bang em out cheaper..

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
LCD everytime, plasma sales are indecline already... they'll be none existant in a couple of years.

Audi TT 225 Quattro
plasma everytime for me, got a 42" hitachi pd7500 last year and have'nt looked back once. picture is amazing with whatever you feed it. one of my friends had his heart set on getting some 50" sony lcd untill i got my plasma, week later he had one sitting in his frontroom.. mine playing finding nemo
DSCF1590Medium.jpg

182FF c/w Recaros
LCD everytime, plasma sales are indecline already... they'll be none existant in a couple of years.

I wouldn't be too sure about that....still life in the old dog yet.;)

LCD simply does not excel in all areas and as such, Plasma may be around for a while yet, at least until we get something that can combine the strengths of both.

Despite increased competition from LCD, sales of plasma screens have rocketed, according to research firm iSuppli. During the last quarter of 2006, worldwide shipments jumped to 10 million units, creating a market worth approximately 7.7 billion dollars. According to iSupply, plasma production will rise 14 per cent by 2011. The dominant maker of plasma screens will continue to be Matsus**ta, parent of Panasonic.

Audi TT 225
I was gonna get a Sony 40" 1080p LCD until I saw the 50" plasma....
Its being delivered tomorrow between 7 and 11..... OMG I hope its at 7!!!!
Will post up pictakkaz once its setup!

Looked at LCD just before Xmas as my four year old 43" plasma died.

Couldn't find an LCD that looked as good as my four year plasma, let alone the newer models.

In the end went for a Pioneer PDP-507, very nice!

Saxo VTS
Anything 42"+ go for Plasma.

Anything less than 42" go LCD.

Prefer the image on a Plasma. LCD's still good and imo better for 'normal' use, but Plasma just looks sharper and has richer colours.