ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

plasma or lcd?

hi everyone which is the better tv for picture quality etc etc a plasma or lcd i have always been confused about this???

Milltek'd 182
plasma's are more hassle (regassing etc..) and use 3x as much electricity as a normal TV. so i'd say LCD....but i havent tried either thats going off hearsay

i went for a plasma.. with my budget, i went in and looked at what was available, and i chose plasma.. glad i did, but sure LCD's are just as good

i think if you are looking for up to 37" go for LCD, above that get plasma

Polo + Micra
nah it's ok mate it just depends on how you use it on how well it works over a period of time.

i went for lcd as i saw the samsung ones used on the xbox 360 stands in shops and thought it looked sweet

nah it's ok mate it just depends on how you use it on how well it works over a period of time.

i went for lcd as i saw the samsung ones used on the xbox 360 stands in shops and thought it looked sweet

yeah the samsung lcd's game use are good..

Lee

BMW M2C
I've spent most my afternoon reading into this and I still haven't decided.

If the new Samsung LCDs come out soon I might go for one of those. My old 26" Samsung LCD has been pretty good and the new ones are supposed to be massively better.

I was thinking the 40" model: http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/tftlcd/le40m86bdxxeu.asp

Or possibly this one if I went Plasma: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...h_Cabinet_Stand/Product.html?searchtype=genre

I'm not sure if 42" would be a bit too big for my lounge though so it's between 37" and 40".

Lee

BMW M2C
I did that the other day. They only ever have a handful of displays connected to decent sources, plus LCDs look very different in shop lighting than they do at home.

yeah true.. depends what you watch i was told aswell.. i tend to watch films more, and plasmas have better 'true' blacks than lcds which is apparently better for films.. but think sports are meant to be better on LCDs.. the xbox360 is awesome on my one aswell

Monaco 172 2/468
From my experience Plasma screens seem to look better on SD pictures, I always feel SD on LCD sets feel like more of a comprimise. However once you put a proper HD source in I think the LCD's are a better option, and I think once 1080p becomes more common I think the old 37" + should be a plasma will be a thing of the past.

If you are just buying one for being a flat panel tv without any HD sources though i'd deffo get a plasma, LCD is a waste of cash in my humble opinion :)

Lee

BMW M2C
We've got a 42" Plasma setup at work and that always looks amazing with 360 or PS3 on it. Plazmas can do better blacks, but the new Samsung LED LCD displays should be able to match it as it's not just one large backlight which is always on.

Still reading, and still not got a clue what to get!! lol

Most the Plasma screens I've looked at aren't true 1080p, but then at that size it's not really an issue but I'd still like one which is. Which is where that new Samsung looks good again.

I'm buying one because my 26" is to small. It will be hooked up to a 360, PS3, upscaling DVD player and Sky HD.

Polo + Micra
i notice that most plasmas have a lower(non widescreen) res than lcds?

so does that mean it has to process the signal in some way to make it fit and look right?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
plasma's are more hassle (regassing etc..) and use 3x as much electricity as a normal TV. so i'd say LCD....but i havent tried either thats going off hearsay

No such thing as re-gassing.. urban myth.. and a plasma will last as long if not longer than LCD.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
To sum up the LCD/Plasma battle,

If your mainly going to use it for console gaming.. go LCD.
If your mainly going to use it for watching TV/Movies go Plasma

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

so does that mean it has to process the signal in some way to make it fit and look right?

They use rectangular pixels not square pixels.. very common with no detrimental effect.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Plasma every time.

They use less electic than lcd, on standby it's almost nothing unlike crt.

They don't get hot, you put your hand over the top of an lcd :S

Plasma has better contrast etc etc & put a black image on both & plasma is unbeatable.

They last 20 yrs or more so you'll be sick of the sight of it before it goes pop.

For fast moving images ie sports, again plasma, if you watch sky footie you'll be amazed.

They don't attract dust so dont need cleaning.

Lee look here ;)http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_95&products_id=650

&

Panasonic TH-37PX70CAB 94cm V Plasma Panel, 1024 X 720 resolution, Ultra Slim, Intergrated Digital Tuner, 7 Day EPG, V- Real 2 Technology, 1080p Processing and Remastering, 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio, 3072 Shades Gradation, PC Input, 3 x Scarts, 2 x HDMI WITH VEIRA LINK, Includes Cabinet. (Available in March'07) £847.76 £996.12

LCD is for the uninformed, or 'sheep' who follow.

Racin Blue 182

They use rectangular pixels not square pixels.. very common with no detrimental effect.

Most of the HD ready screens have to process the image to fit the res of the screen - typical LCD's 1366x768 have to process 'upscale' an SD 576i image to fit the 768 line image of the display.

the 'full' HD 1920x1080 screens have far more processing to do with an SD image - sometimes resulting in a poorer image than, say, a plasma with 1024x768 (typically) which has less processing to do with SD. Of course the flip-side is that a full HD res screen can display 1080 images natively without processing (SKY HD/Blu Ray/HD-DVD)

Punto/Clio GTT
Plasma every time.

Plasma has better contrast etc etc & put a black image on both & plasma is unbeatable.

They last 20 yrs or more so you'll be sick of the sight of it before it goes pop.

For fast moving images ie sports, again plasma, if you watch sky footie you'll be amazed.

Lee look here ;)http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_95&products_id=650

&

Panasonic TH-37PX70CAB 94cm V Plasma Panel, 1024 X 720 resolution, Ultra Slim, Intergrated Digital Tuner, 7 Day EPG, V- Real 2 Technology, 1080p Processing and Remastering, 10,000:1 Contrast Ratio, 3072 Shades Gradation, PC Input, 3 x Scarts, 2 x HDMI WITH VEIRA LINK, Includes Cabinet. (Available in March'07) £847.76 £996.12

anyone back this up with facts or is he talking waffle?

i went with lcd, no problems.

R

rich[182]

Plasma every time.

&

anyone back this up with facts or is he talking waffle?

i went with lcd, no problems.

^ 3 months-worth of getting what hi-fi, home cinema & dvd mags supports most of the above, esp in terms of picture, put it this way only the flagship sony bravias come close to pioneer plasma for picture, esp with SD and sports/fast motion stuff, even some of the £1500 LCD's that get 9/10 always seem to have contrast or banding issues or motion blur, if you go over to avforums it's unbeliavable how many people have probs with LCDs, most of the hardcore dvd movie watching guys wouldnt do so on a LCD so long as theyve a hole in their a**e

Punto/Clio GTT
aint digging at him, genuinley curious, our lcd is always on standby, when we go to bed and that, does it use *that* much electric that we should turn it off properly? or isit not really noticeable?

aint digging at him, genuinley curious, our lcd is always on standby, when we go to bed and that, does it use *that* much electric that we should turn it off properly? or isit not really noticeable?

ive always wondered this, but i have the plasma

a burnt one
Yes, but apparently the the pioneer plasma's are streets ahead of any other plasma, take them out the equation and the normal punter wouldnt tell much difference between plasma or lcd.

My sister has a 43" pioneer plasma, one of the earlier ones and i bought a 40" samsung LCD last friday and there isnt that much difference in quality, you would only notice if you watched them side by side.

We have a 50" Pioneer plasma and I have been looking everywhere for an LCD screen to match the quality with a smaller screen for my room, no such luck, all in my opinion obviously, the difference is noticable and a lot of what Steve has said in the above post is true.

jeezzz didnt think i would get such a great responses from this cheers everyone!!! everytime i stand in front of a plasma whether its a sony or swisstec he he the picture quality for a 40 inch or so is so much better than an lcd and as people have mentioned the edges are not as sharp and there is blure when things move so quickly!!! i think i will get a plasma tv just got to find a nice one want a black one if possible to match the theme in my home any suggestions cheers

Monaco 172 2/468
I'd back up the thing with sports, especially in SD on LCD it can be awful to watch on some sets.

My question would be, when you watch a true 1080p picture on e.g. a 37-42" LCD tv, will the plasma ever be as good, as my understanding is that it can't display this resolution ? If it is as good then surely LCD's wouldn't exist, there would be no need for them.

Got a real hard decision on what 37" set to get next :dapprove: This one has to be right lol

Lee

BMW M2C
Unless Samsungs new range of LCDs appear soon the Panasonic Plasma is looking most likely for me at the moment.

The thing that makes me think LCD is purely because I game more than I watch TV and don't really care if the SD picture is a bit poor (which it is on my 26" LCD) if the hi def pic is spot on.

I think I'll go hook a PS3 up in the boardroom Panasonic Plasma and see how I feel then.

I always thought Plasmas used a lot more power than LCDs?

"Power Compared to plasma, LCD TVs consume far less energy. On average a 32-inch screen consumes 110 watts of power, a 40-inch about 180 watts."

"
  • Power consumption Plasma TVs are power hungry and consume far more energy than rival TV technologies (see 'Use less electricity' for some energy saving tips). A 42-inch screen consumes on average 250 watts of power. "

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i bought an LCD cause i was informed the high def content would be better on it and so would use of my pc through it. since it's just a glorified monitor for me that works but i guess if you want more regular telly out of it then proabably plasma if ya best bet

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
For an lcd to even come close to a plasma you need to be looking at sony bravia 'X' range, these cost a fortune, the 's' range are ###p!!

Lee power consumption between lcd & plasma in use is similar, where palasma scores is on standby they use almost nothing.

Please if you are considering getting one do not listen to the muppets in the shop, as they will steer you to whatever product they have been told to shift.

I have a th37px70 & can afford to buy anything, that sums up how good they are.

Also do not be steered into what looks most asthetic, go by perfomance of panel, like in hifi i 'used' to have Linn Niam active system it looked old fashioned but when you close your eyes & give it quarter past 'U2' could actually be in my front room. :D

Samsung vs Panny, sorry would take the panny everytime.

Last edited:

Lee

BMW M2C
I've read a lot of good remarks about that screen Steve, and it is currently in front.

One of the graphic artists here has one at home, if it's good enough for him it's got to be good. He's a serious film buff.

Did you get it with the cabinet?

VRS
i appreiciate all the techy info that every1 has mentioned but my needs were very different

i wanted a good quality screen which looks nice and fits on the wall in my room and is a good price

the samsung ticked those boxes :)

i dont spend too much time watching tv but appreciate that the people who do spend a lot of time in front of the box wanted something a bit more special :D