ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PlastiDip UK?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Apparently it's been done with 1 can, but 2-3 is more realistic I think.

I typed in 'Plasti Dip alloys' into Google and read the posts on other car forums and they were buying 3 cans,
2 in order to give them 3 coats each and 1 as a back up.

Last edited:
  1.2 y0!
was goin to buy the orange flourecent but found out its like 3 times the price! :( not sure what colour to go now, didnt want to go black as i think it'll look like a chavmobile, dont like any of the other colours on my colour car. Hmpf

BMW E34 540i
the finish is matt and does not have a shine, but a coat of the clear lacquer leaves them with a shine.

Question is whether after coating it with clear lacquer it will still peel off ?

Hmm looks nice. Going to make the wheels white sooner than I thought !

Bora.
Question is whether after coating it with clear lacquer it will still peel off ?

So I decided f**k it so i lacured the whole rim last night to test to see if it would react or anything, Checked this mornnig and it looks completly different but not reacted or anything so lacur seems to be safe to use on it.

They have gone from a matt finish to a shiney finish. Not sure if it would peel now but it looks pritty good.

can only go with what was said about the above test alloy wheel.

Ph 2 172
was goin to buy the orange flourecent but found out its like 3 times the price! :( not sure what colour to go now, didnt want to go black as i think it'll look like a chavmobile, dont like any of the other colours on my colour car. Hmpf

How much extra did they quote you per can for the fluorescent colours mate? I was looking at getting lime green.

Golf GTD Mk7

How much extra did they quote you per can for the fluorescent colours mate? I was looking at getting lime green.

3 x £9 = ;)

Cro

Meg'd r27
for the fluorescent colours you mean dave? Because surely it wouldnt be £45 for 1 tin if it's 3x the normal price

Fiesta ST-3
Forgive me if I'm missing some thing here but if you Lacquer them then that surely defeats the whole object of being able to peal it off once you have had enough?

And that you may as well just use normal spray?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
for the fluorescent colours you mean dave? Because surely it wouldnt be £45 for 1 tin if it's 3x the normal price
No sorry mate, the buy basket only has a drop down menu for the normal colours.
You might have to ring them for the fluorescent colours, as I can't find them on their website.

Forgive me if I'm missing some thing here but if you Lacquer them then that surely defeats the whole object of being able to peal it off once you have had enough?

And that you may as well just use normal spray?

I agree, wouldn't lacquer make it impossible to peel off?
I was under the impression that the clear spray they do give it a gloss look, that's what I read on the Mini forum.

Last edited:
  1.2 y0!
3x may have been exadurated a bit i cant find it on the website now but the flourecent kits seemed a lot more expensive than the standard colours :(

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5

No sorry mate, the buy basket only has a drop down menu for the normal colours.
You might have to ring them for the fluorescent colours, as I can't find them on their website.

I agree, wouldn't lacquer make it impossible to peel off?
I was under the impression that the clear spray they do give it a gloss look, that's what I read on the Mini forum.

I spoke to a guy on the phone earlier, he said it's £15 for a 750ml can of clear high gloss finish. It adds extra protection but apparently it doesn't change the characteristics so can still be removed

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
Strange...clearly shows them on the website :S

I didn't bother asking about colours though, I'd probably only buy black anyway so can't help you there mate :(

Ph 2 172
Yeah i thought it was a bit weird aswell. He said that they do sell fluorescent colours but you need to buy a spray gun off their site and thin the paint 50% then spray it on. Sounds like a money grabbing scheme to me. Lime green rattle cans it is for my wheels lol

Alan1.2

ClioSport Club Member
  clio dynamique
Iv got 2 cans of black for my standard dynamique wheels , could end badly , suppose i can tear it off in the end if it doesnt look good .

BG 182
Just got the standard black for the time being. For the price and appeal of it, I'm just going to try it, easy to rectify if it doesn't go to plan.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Theres loads of reviews on other car forums such as Mini, Seat Cupra.net and some 4x4 sites, I just Googled PlastiDip alloy wheels and spent a night reading them, to my knowlege no-one on here has done it yet, apart from one lad that sprayed his roof.

I'll be going for black in a month or so once i've got new tyres all round, be good to see how you get on with it Jacko.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=314494

21726210150170034232105.jpg

20811510150170034952105.jpg

Last edited:
  1.2 y0!
how well do you lot recon it would work on bumper plastics to freshen up instead of colour coding?

BG182FF
apparently masking them is hard as the plastic sets onto the tape and when you remove the tape it tears it :(