ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Play in steering rack

172DD Cup
i have some play in my steering column or rack, if i wiggle the steering wheel from side to side you can feel a feint knock. you can REALLY feel it if you grab the tie rod, which to me says there is play in the rack.

i know it's not the tie rods or anything simple, as i've disconnected the track rod ends from the hubs so i just have the tie rods floating in the air and it still knocks if i wiggle the steering wheel.

rack bushes are new as they were worn anyway. if i grab the u/j closest to the rack there is no play.

any suggestions? i've read you can adjust the rack via bolt, but don't know where this bolt is.

cheers :)

Laguna sport tourer
i had this on my dCi and it was the rack end balljoints (the bit that looks like a drumstick). There is an adjuster on the rack but its a right shunt to get at and adjust if you look straight up from underneith from where the steering colum is you will see a small hole in the subframe, you have to relieve the steaking and turn it clockwise in 180 degree incraments (10mm allen key iirc) and the re steak it.

Clio 172 "Ruby"
I have the same problem but my squeaks to as I'm steering at low speeds, it's bloody doing my nut in now,

172DD Cup
Knowledge should be ok. Do u know what the stake adjustment is usually used for? Is it to align the rack, or tighten the pinion/gear assembly?

172DD Cup
is this the item i'm looking for? doesn't look accessible without removing the rack. due to lack of sight i can't see how to remove the stake unless it's the big plastic ring around the hex hole.
Photo0020.jpg

here you can see the gap in the subframe
Photo0022.jpg

this is it from the other side
Photo0023.jpg

172DD Cup
well, i had some success. i dropped the rack off it's mounts and tightened it 180 degrees. steering was alot tighter which was great, and it got rid of the play i could feel in the system, but it was so tight the car wouldn't straighten itself up! with the wheel at a 45 degree angle it would stay on that course if i took my hands off the wheel! rather than drop the rack again i widened the hole a little so i could get a hex in there with the rack in situ. i backed it off 90 degrees and it was a little better. it wouldn't straighten itself up from say a 15 degree angle, but it was easier to steer and the play wasn't apparent. so i backed it off another 45 degrees and this time it almost straightened itself up. i still couldn't feel the play which was good, but it felt horrible to drive, didn't inspire confidence at all, felt like it had a mind of it's own.

the firmess in the steering with the pinion tightened 180 degrees was excellent, if only i could find a way for the car to straighten itself up.

Renault Clio III dci
I know this is old thread but I must reply. Steering rack is definitely not adjusted in 180 degree turns. Its spring loaded and turning bolt clockwise linearly tightens the spring. I would advice 10 degree increments for a start , most times you need to adjust multiple times for perfect steering stiffness without play, its almost like adjusting steering angle from tie rods, very little does much.