ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

poly bushings Wow!

clio 172 mk2
well i just finished about a day ago installing this kit from ktec the powerflex range of the whole wishbone/anti roll bar kit along with the poly uprated engine mount and wow what a friggen difference....also i sorted out my suspension trouble car needed aligning also i had a busted steering end so got it sorted was nice to see ktec deliver to trinidad which is in the caribbean, umm to comment on these parts directly my setup consists of

stock springs and dampers
pirelli p-zero nero m+s tyres
and the complete poly set with the dog bone mount

this is the suspension and in total it took me about 5-6 hrs to install everything but omg after the alignment and putting some nitrogen in the tyres these little s***s rock totally stiffened up the ride which i wanted turn in is better and it just holds
the dog bone mount does stiffen up the engine movement alot and there is a good increase in vibration through the car but i love it feels really nice and starts nice too umm at first i felt as if my accel dropped cause i didnt feel the initial thrust as with having more engine movement but in reality the car just pulls its a smoother delivery and the gear changes are crisp
really precise and they just slot home lovely, as for the bush kit they really tighten up the steering and all steering vague is reduced its a small mod but makes a noticeable difference im happy and it makes the car alittle more confident to launch into the twisties...yay!!!
:)

clio 172 mk2
nitrogen is a cooler running gas than air so in a sense when u warm up ur tyres due to constant turning/accel and the such with ordinary air it expands with heat and thus ur psi rating goes higher which causes ur sidewalls to swell a bit since its a cooler gas the cooler ur tyre is the more even the contact patch and thus more grip it is also lighter which in some sense makes it less resistant to rotational forces...most places such as air planes and nascar and formula one use this type of gas in their car basically these are some core benefits:

lighter gas
doesnt expand under heat
since denser its less likely to leak out of walls of tyre
less rotational resistance
improved tyre life
better handling
and they quote more mpg but i doubt since they only say about a 2% increase lol

Tangoed Works
Poly bushes are always worth it to tighten up the whole package. If youve spent loads on expensive springs and dampers or coliys then to leave these out is a bit of a waste.

Also will make the most of the standard setup as per the comments above.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
demon tweeks.... tbh i've never felt the difference......

on the subject of the bushes mind, i hear they are squeeky in operation?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
We use nitrogen in the race tyres...the tyres come on quicker and sustain a better temp for longer. 02 in high temp causes graining and makes the tyres go off..

no need on the road tho! lol

demon tweeks.... tbh i've never felt the difference......

on the subject of the bushes mind, i hear they are squeeky in operation?

Yp[ they are I'd never use them plus there no corectly speced Renault spend one or two pence more than other companies supprisingly designed the bushes these bushes both squeek and wear other suspension bit/metal more.

clio 172 mk2
as for the squeeking guess i got off on it cause it doesnt give me any noises whatsoever prolly caused i greased its arse up rell good as for wear and tear on the other parts i'll keep my eye open for it edde and see how it runs over time never could be too safe to avoid being sorry lol

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Most of the benefit from inflating with nitrogen is not from inflating with nitrogen but because bottled nitogen has no moisture in it. Dry air would provide most the benefit. The benefits that do occur either only occur in any measurably quantity in a highly loaded tyres, which isn't the case with a Clio, or with steel wheels (due to rusting), which also isn't the case in a Clio.

The supposed benefits of oxygen-free nitrogen in your tyres are about the same as oxygen-free copper cables in your hi-fi system. Somewhere between non-existent psuedoscientific gobblydegook and so small as to be unmeasurable.

Think about this. Ordinary air is 78% nitrogen. If nitrogen leaks out more slowly than air then the oxygen in a tyre filled with air will leak out faster than the nitrogen in it, and over time the percentage of nitrogen in your tyres will drift towards 100% anyway.

And if you get your tyres "filled" with nitrogen, how do they get the air out first. Tyres aren't balloons. They can't be collapsed down to zero size then inflated with nitrogen. By definition a "nitrogen-filled" tyre will contain 1 atmosphere, 14.7psi, of air, and its only anything above that, about another atmosphere, that will be the additional nitrogen, so there'll still be about 10% oxygen in there.

Gees, what sort of nonsense are we going to get next? Xenon-filled tyres? Its denser than nitrogen. Its a halogen so its totally inert.

Last edited:
  Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Intersting to hear about the Poly bushes....ive been looking to get some for a while. I may invest!

RB 182 with CUP packs
I had polybushes on my ZS & they started to squeek over time. They were taken off, cleaned & regreased & jobs was a goodun.

If they squeek then you possibly haven't greased them enough.

1.6 16v clio priv
Most of the benefit from inflating with nitrogen is not from inflating with nitrogen but because bottled nitogen has no moisture in it. Dry air would provide most the benefit. The benefits that do occur either only occur in any measurably quantity in a highly loaded tyres, which isn't the case with a Clio, or with steel wheels (due to rusting), which also isn't the case in a Clio.

The supposed benefits of oxygen-free nitrogen in your tyres are about the same as oxygen-free copper cables in your hi-fi system. Somewhere between non-existent psuedoscientific gobblydegook and so small as to be unmeasurable.

Think about this. Ordinary air is 78% nitrogen. If nitrogen leaks out more slowly than air then the oxygen in a tyre filled with air will leak out faster than the nitrogen in it, and over time the percentage of nitrogen in your tyres will drift towards 100% anyway.

And if you get your tyres "filled" with nitrogen, how do they get the air out first. Tyres aren't balloons. They can't be collapsed down to zero size then inflated with nitrogen. By definition a "nitrogen-filled" tyre will contain 1 atmosphere, 14.7psi, of air, and its only anything above that, about another atmosphere, that will be the additional nitrogen, so there'll still be about 10% oxygen in there.

Gees, what sort of nonsense are we going to get next? Xenon-filled tyres? Its denser than nitrogen. Its a halogen so its totally inert.

Actually from a chemical point of view Nitrogen is a smaller atom than Oxygen so it should be more likely to leak out than oxygen meaning that really with an air filled tyre your oxygen level would increase.
I would agree with the moisture part though as moisture, heat, oxygen and metal generally dont mix well.
Xenon is not neccesarily bigger as it appears in nature as an Xe atom but oxygen and nitrogen appear in nature as N2 and O2 molecules. What we need to find is a gas with a large molecule. How about propane. You would be rocket propelled when it got hot enough :)
Perhaps we should get the motorsport industry to start looking at using different gases. There has to be some that are relatively cheap and better than air