ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poorboys bits (& some other stuff)

1.8 Civic EX
So all being well I'll be picking up a new (to me) car at the weekend so I want to get some new bits.

It's a black car and already has a few swirls but the garage said they will give it a machine polish to get rid of some the swirls/scratches etc ready for pick up.

So I'm after some products that I can use on a semi regular basis and that are easy to use by hand as I don't have any machine polishers etc.

I've still got plenty of AG Car Shampoo that'll be used for the wash stage till it runs out.

I also already have some Poorboys Nattys Blue paste wax and after seeing the pics of the Datsun from the Glaze thread I'm thinking about picking up some Black Hole too. I have also seen a Poorboys Polish which contains Carnubra.

Would all three work well together? I would assume yes..

wash - rinse - polish - black hole - wax. Correct?

I'll also need a new wash mit, drying towel, applicator pads and buffing cloths to apply and remove the above products so any recomendations for those?

Last thing, the car has leather seats so was looking at the Poorboys leather cleaner. Anyone used it or have any opinions?

Leather Stuff - http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/poorboys/leather-stuff.aspx
Polish - http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/poorboys/polish-with-carnauba-blue.aspx
Wax (I already have) - http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/poorboys/nattys-paste-wax-blue.aspx
Black Hole - http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/poorboys/black-hole-show-car-glaze.aspx

And before anyone asks the only reaon I'm thinking of going all Poorboys is simply because I already have the wax and am interested in the Black Hole so may aswell stick to the range...

DON'T LET THE GARAGE POLISH IT. Is my first piece of advice.

Next, LTT or Gliptone for the leather products. Both the cleaners and conditioners are great (although many feel that they're not needed... they work and remove a lot of dirt).

Have a read of Gally's threads on processes. Products wise, Yellow_Dave and JamesBryan have listed some recently, so have a look through.

Lastly, no need to "stick to the range". Branch out. If you've bought some products, try some others, based on people's write ups and opinions.

1.8 Civic EX
It should be ok, its not the garage thats doing it, its a bodywork place down the road. They are respraying the bumpers too as they are a little scuffed, previous owner obviously had issues parking.

1.8 Civic EX
lol my confidence is fading....(I did say to them if I'm not happy with the work I get my deposit back and walk away, which was written down and the manager signed)

So ignoring the fact that my car may be mullered by the garage, do I have the right process?

wash - rinse - polish - glaze - wax

and still after recomendations on towels/mits and thoughts on the Poorboys products.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
lol my confidence is fading....(I did say to them if I'm not happy with the work I get my deposit back and walk away, which was written down and the manager signed)

So ignoring the fact that my car may be mullered by the garage, do I have the right process?

wash - rinse - polish - glaze - wax

and still after recomendations on towels/mits and thoughts on the Poorboys products.

Yes, your process is correct.

Drying Towel: I've currently got the Chemical Guys Wooly Mammoth, they're around £18 but will last ages. You want something that is nice and soft.

Wash mitts: Anything with Lambswool or Sheepskin really.

The Poorboys Natty's Blue will be fine, as will the Black Hole.

I'm not sure on the polish with carnauba, sounds like a filler when i read the description. Autoglym Super Resin Polish should be ok for you, as you're doing it by hand.

Most likely, as well as overspray.

Eurgh :dead:

Golf GT & A4 Avant
unless the paint is oxidised they will not improve by just bashing over it with a buffer / mop etc etc. I very much doubt they will sit through the correct process of correcting, see Russ' recent detail threads, so there will be no gain for you.

You are best off, presuming you will do it all by hand?, with a decent pre wax cleanser and or glaze. Have a read through Gally's sticky'd threads at the top of the section before ordering anything! you really will save yourself some money.you could get yourself a polishing compound and hand pads, such as http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/kits/psystem-perfect-hand-polish-kit/ but that will take quite some time to do a whole car.

a pre wax cleanser will contain a small amount of abrasives to help clean up and maybe start to remove very minor swirls, but will also contain oils and fillers to help hide also. A filler heavy glaze will do best at hiding them, but will only last as long as your wax. have a look through these pics of autofinesse rejuvenate and tripple http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=221849

1.8 Civic EX
Thanks although I think people might be misinterpreting what I'm asking.

I've already read through Gally's threads which is where the Black Hole caught my eye.

The paint on the car is already in rather good condition bar a few areas that are scratched/swirled which is why the garage/bodyshop place is going to take a look.

I just want some products to put on that I can keep it looking smooth with a nice gloss and decent protection that I can apply by hand every few months or so but something thats a "step up" from the average AG products etc. Paint correction etc is not what I'm trying to achive although I appreciate some products will have a certain amount of corrective properties.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
in that case sounds like the car is in an average condition therefore your typical garage / bodyshop still won't achieve much if any improvement.

1st off, look into decontaminating the car, tar remover, iron remover, claying. typically you could get away with doing this once a year although although tardis is so easy to use I use it every time I detail. Then as said, a good pre wax cleanser or cleaner glaze topped up with a wax or sealant will be fine. have a look for britemax blackmax or prima amigo as these appear to cross the boundaries of different products. you will then only need to do this again once your wax or sealant starts to fail. I have no idea with the Nattys waxes but a good and durable combo would be AG SRP or AG pre wax cleanser topped with AG HD wax