ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power line networking

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I need to get the Internet from downstairs to up stairs.

Any recommendations on power line adapters?

There seems to be a lot of choice around the £30 - £50 mark, for 200MBPS range. Won't be used for anything particularly onerous, but of downloading and surfing.

Any advice is much appreciated.

2007 clio dynamique
I had a set of com trend adaptors that came with my BT vision box and they were great for streaming etc, and have a look on eBay loads on there for that price

I'm always wary of power line networking, especially if you have a lot of devices on your lines making noise such as psus etc.
I use a power line networking set up here. If it were up to me I'd run a cables from the router and up the stairs and all over the house but apparently this isn't aesthetically pleasing. Neither is trunking the cable along the wall either.
In the home I've got a 40mb sky fibre line and I see a maximum of around 26mb through the power line network which means I'm forever switching to wifi to download. It's further frustrating when you really need to be cabled because you have a couple of NAS boxes about and if someone is streaming off one, the bandwidth just isn't there to copy files to and from the box at the same time.

But I digress, for basic usage such as gaming and watching the odd video and potching online you'll probably fine with whatever you purchase, but the moment you want to do something meaningful with your network or you want to copy files from one device to another and you don't have the patience of Buddha, you'll be quietly laying cables everywhere. Once you have your set up run a line speed test using the wifi vs the power line to ensure you're not losing out.

DCi
i have 4 devolo ones - it's not my house so i can't cable but if i could i would run a cable!!

they are good for everything but need to be restarted every now and again (less than once a month) not sure if it's electrical interference or something that causes that but oh well...