ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Private Cars Cannot Be Sold With Road Tax From October 2014

Private Cars Cannot Be Sold With Road Tax From October 2014

Motorists that sell cars privately will not be entitled to offer the “unexpired tax” incentive from October 2014, the Automobile Association has revealed. Sellers will have to claim vehicle excise duty refunds for any remaining months from the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Buyers will then have to pay road tax online, at post offices or via telephone before taking to the road. Why? Because the paper tax disc that has graced windscreens for nearly a century will soon be consigned to history. This is part of the government's plan to cut red tape and minimise expenditure. Motorists will no longer be able to glance at windscreens to confirm the tax has been paid. This could encourage unscrupulous sellers to claim that their vehicles have (say) eleven months tax remaining when they only have two. Extra tax, of course, can be worth hundreds of pounds on relatively modern vehicles that have high carbon emissions. So, to eliminate the risk of misrepresentation private buyers will know that – whatever the vehicles and whatever the prices - sellers will have to remove any tax value.

Automobile Association Emphasises Motorists' Concerns

The Automobile Association has claimed that motorists suspect that the tax disc's demise will cause problems. A poll of more than seventeen thousand revealed that seventy percent are “worried” they might drive cars that have been recently purchased by friends/relatives not knowing they are untaxed. Furthermore, another of the company's polls revealed that forty-seven percent claim that not having a disc will make them “more likely” to forget to renew. But overall its eradication is sensible. Why? Because it is simply a receipt that can be checked by the police to ensure vehicles are legal. That was fine in the past. Now, however, enforcement comes via a computerised database that automatically spits out fines to non-compliers. There is also a camera based system that scans number plates as vehicles pass and identifies tax dodgers - so relying on police officers to scan windscreens while on patrol in an outdated concept. Furthermore, motorists should not be concerned about forgetting to renew. They will, after all, still receive reminders through the post and - for the first time – be able to pay any vehicle excise duty by direct debit. Options will be annually, six monthly, or monthly.

http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/...wsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter&src=motoring

Is that for real? Can't find anything other sources.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Hope it's just internet talk. Simple things like buying a car in the evening or weekend would become a nightmare unless you have a get you home grace period. Which won't happen.

182 ff
could someone say their car is sorn ,then still drive the car, take a chance of getting caught, to save £260, which is joke.. I bet they crush your car don't they? if caught

Last edited:
  Bumder With A Buffer
To be honest a paper tax disc is retarded. A fine for "failure to display" a piece of paper even though it is mostly stored online now is shirley a good thing.

Think it was 2 years ago my tax was up for renewal end of December 2012. I went on holiday on the 6th December until the 7th Jan and couldn't/wasn't allowed to renew the tax in the post office due to not having the renewal form. So had to text parents and get them to get the "code" when it arrived so I could do it online. Car was parked in the long stay car-park and when we landed had to piss around with the car parking attendant person/company who wouldn't drive the car back to the meet and greet as it "had no tax" it was a royal pain in the arse. Ended up having to get a taxi to the car-park and then there ws a n argument for them not letting me take the car out of the site due to "no road tax". Meh.

Its not like I could get the disc sent down to "My Car, in the middle of a car park, Gatwick Airport".

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I want a clio dci with £20 a year tax. I'm going to pay monthly.