ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

problems ahead i think........help

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

just on the way home i think the exhaust i think was rattling on changing down...... or on release of the go go pedal

also i was then occasionally getting a weird vibration all through the steering wheel (never had this before)

any help appreciated...cheers

I would check the exhaust systerm for excessive movement.

As for the vibration in the stearing comming and going, i had that, usually at motorway speeds, and it turned out it was a f**ked CV joint in the driveshaft, there shoudlnt be any play up or down or side to side in the cv joints, on mine it was the offside inner joint that was fooked

So it only vibrates when the exhaust rattles?

Also check the heat shields arent touching the exhaust.

Check the whole system and the cv joints and report back, can only tell so much from symptoms described.

At the end of the day from what you have said it could be one of any number of thigns causing either of the probs

As i said loads of possibilities, engine mounts cv joints, driveshafts, wheel bearings, warped discs, un-balenced wheels, flat spotted tyres etc etc etc

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

tyers are brand new, disks are fine, wheel bearings just been donewheels are fine

the exhaust caught before so it was modded to sit ok, could the engine mounts cause the exhaust to move and tap....

clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Freebone on 31 July 2005

tyers are brand new, disks are fine, wheel bearings just been donewheels are fine

the exhaust caught before so it was modded to sit ok, could the engine mounts cause the exhaust to move and tap....

yes mate...

Da

Less

Quote: Originally posted by Freebone on 31 July 2005

Yes, because the exhaust is connected to the engine via the manifold, so if the engine is moving due to knackered mounts then the exhaust will move also.

Yep, sounds like engine mounts, or a loose heatshield on the exhaust.
Try revving the engine whilst stationary and check for excesive twisting from the engine and noise comming from the exhaust.

This might indicate worn mounts, as the exhaust may touch something its not supposed to when the engine twists.

Twist the throttle body from under the bonnet, youll be able to see whats goin on, maybe a plit rubber on the engine mounts? Could have gone brittle

you wont get as much movement when revving stationary as you wont get resistance from the car weight, but you may be able to see something if you blip it quickly.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i dunno see cause when i went out in it again it was ok, i thought it could have been the mounts

daz i knew the exhaust was connected to the manifold in turn to the engine....cheers......i aint thay stupid...lol

Check the rubber in the mounts for cracking, and when you suddenly acclerate, say from 35 in 2nd does the ger stick move more then a few mm, if so its engine mounts

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

well just had a look, couldnt see any cracks
the engine only moved forward and back slightly on pulling the accelerator, i then took it for a test drive and absolutely nothing at all

could the engine mounts be on the way out?