ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: BMW E21.

The head looks awesome in that last shot. Just putting together the time-lapse I got of today. A bit gutted there isn't as much footage as I would have liked, but I need to sort out the battery limitations.

Can't wait to see it tbh, even if we only got 2/3 of the day in, so be it. As you say, it was a chance to research what's what, so hopefully when we come to drop the engine in, you'll have a better idea of what the best settings are.

This looks like great fun :D can't wait to see it back on the road again!

This part has been the most enjoyable IMO, I love working on engines/suspension/generally oily bits! The lads have helped out too which makes it more fun. Hopefully it'll be on the road for a fair bit longer than last time :)

So today I picked up the subframe and ARB from the powdercoaters. Very impressed, the quality is excellent and they're well priced too.

12330664455_0ac285bfdf_c.jpg

12331093224_4df08f967a_c.jpg

Also got some fresh ball joint boots fitted on the control arms, ready for fitting on the car.

12331079014_bb82340839_c.jpg

Took a wire wheel to the shims that sit either side of the control arm bushes. They were crusty as hell, but they came up really well, before and after:

12330627035_5182440a8d_c.jpg

Then got a load of stuff painted up in black and silver, so I'll get some photos of those bits tomorrow once they're dry.

All good :)

They're what I used, he offered me a remove and refit tyres and refurb for £160, that was after I got my rear beam done. Thoroughly recommend them too.

This just gets better and better, any modification required to fit the M20?

Not really no, slam panel will probably need cutting to get the engine in, and then to allow space for the radiator.

Most of it is E30 or 6cyl E21 parts, most of it all bolts on tbh.

Awesome, love how clean the build is. Just makes you want to strip your own car just to get it to the same cleanliness.

I momentarily owned a e36 325 they're good fun, it'll be nothing on this once finished. Much prefer the layout in the cabin of the bimmers.

Any plans for the interior? OEM look as much as possible?

For reference, power to weight will be somewhere similar to a healthy 182; the M20B25 is 170bhp as standard and I can expect to see a finished weight of under 1100kgs.

Cleanliness comes at a cost, both financially and time wise. If I'd "thrown" it together it would be done by now, but I'm a stickler for detail and I really feel that the bigger picture is made up from the quality of the finer details.

Interior wise will probably be the standard dash (mine is in minty mint condition and it'd be sacrilege to change an original S1 dash). Carpet has already been changed to black, as have the door cards. Roof lining will be a black brushed nylon material. The main change will be the seats which will (eventually) be re-trimmed in a deep maroon/red leather.

Still plenty to be doing, I doubt it'll ever be "finished".

Like all things, nothing is forever. One day it'll be sold and I'll move onto something else. When that day is I've no idea, not for a very long time, as it stands today.

As I say, who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Love the progress on the E21 Ed, must be fun to have a project like this. Learning as you go and doing it all yourself is great. I could imagine you'll be quite attached to it once it's all finished.

Today was a very productive one.

Got the fuel tanks out ready to install the new fuel return line:

12414493035_44feaee3dd_c.jpg

Wasn't too much of a nightmare as I had expected. Drained the tanks and left them out to air any fumes out. New fuel pump is here and ready to be fitted once I've got a fuel level sender from an E30.

Underside of the car (the area hidden by the tanks) is in very good condition:

12414959124_a21950e380_c.jpg

I also got the engine bay stripped, all the braking system is now out, and the steering rack is off and ready to be spruced up.

12414945064_17393236f7_c.jpg

All stripped and ready for paint.

12414590703_86d51d974f_c.jpg

Really excited and motivated about the project at the moment, it seems every week the progress is flying. Also another weekend of thanks to the lads that helped, this time Rhys and once again Jon giving me a much needed help.

Over this week I'll assemble the new subframe and ARB, get the M20 rocker cover painted up and ready. Need to order a few bits for the M20 as well (inlet manifold gaskets and rear crank seal).

Plenty more to come soon.

Got some work done on the car today.

Petrol tanks painted, and then a good thick coat of underseal applied.

12618587344_dd9afcc655_c.jpg

I then prepped the inlet manifold and rocker cover, under the site lamps which produce at least the required 16°c to make the paint wrinkle correctly.

12618131185_96fccb767b_c.jpg

12618239423_b910346be5_c.jpg

Then applied the paint and let the lamps do their work. The results are fantastic and I'm very impressed. I'll sand up some of the details and it should complete the look really well.

12618099883_23fd5e7a6e_c.jpg

12618380914_b8a8914db8_c.jpg

12618528714_b5e1df5391_c.jpg

I also got my fuel return line fitted. The engine bay is pretty much ready for paint too.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Picked up a copy of BMWcar at the Service station yesterday as it looked interesting. Was a nice surprise inside!

Picked up a copy of BMWcar at the Service station yesterday as it looked interesting. Was a nice surprise inside!

Haha yeah, it's a really good feature. I was chuffed to bits with it.

Epic work on the crackle black matey.

Looks bloody great.

Thanks, as I say, I'm mighty impressed with the results up to now. Will look great once it's all back together and in the fresh engine bay.

Love the crackle black. Still haven't seen the mag feature. You'll have to remind me when I'm next over

Yeah I've obviously got a copy at mine, so whenever you're next round you can have a gander.