ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Proven Secure Host?

Not a Clio
Our web space & domain host has been hacked today so our site has gone down. Can anyone recommend a proven secure host that doesn't charge the earth? Preferably UK based so we can phone them if need be.

Better than yours. C*nt.
How much data you talking? Email? Required services? May be able to help, as I've got space free and touch wood I've not had a successful attack in 10 years...

Not a Clio
It would only be to host an SMF forum and a few web pages, possibly a joomla frontend as well.

Annoyingly I can't check our usage stats as the whole client area is displaying a lovely hacked message but the bandwidth used is only about 3GB a month so we'd be looking at 5-10GB to be on the safe side for now. I'm not sure on storage space, I've got no way of currently checking. Only need 1 email address and the domain name is a .com

The most important thing is reliability and access times.

185lb/ft dCi
whoops how did they get in? make sure your patched up and not running any dodgey software, make sure all the ports are closed too and the firewall rules are configured correctly!

Better than yours. C*nt.
It would only be to host an SMF forum and a few web pages, possibly a joomla frontend as well.

Annoyingly I can't check our usage stats as the whole client area is displaying a lovely hacked message but the bandwidth used is only about 3GB a month so we'd be looking at 5-10GB to be on the safe side for now. I'm not sure on storage space, I've got no way of currently checking. Only need 1 email address and the domain name is a .com

The most important thing is reliability and access times.

MS 2003/IIS6 acceptable? Can spare 50GB/month, and 0.5GB physical space?

Not a Clio
To be honest I know very little about hosting so MS2003/IIS6 doesn't mean anything to me. How much would you be wanting for the hosting? Do you do domain name hosting as well at all?

Better than yours. C*nt.
Domain name isn't a problem, and I just need to know if your forum stuff will run on a Windows platform. You got all the stuff necessary to publish it?

Better than yours. C*nt.
Can't see it being a major issue,I know I've got MySQL and PHP available. Never attempted a forum migration mind, so will be interesting!

185lb/ft dCi
to be honest mate, the host has not got anything to do with it, just by researching the simple machines software i have found that there are multiple flaws in it including local file includes and HTTP POST request filter security bypasses. i'd be changing the software not the hosting company.

just my 2 cents

Bus w**ker
It probably wasn't a "hack" more then likely a script kiddy using some exploit like !c99shell on the shared box allowing them to drop an index.php page onto every account. Your host should of cleared it up pretty quickly and enabling mod_security or running susexe would grind the issue to a halt.

Host wise you need to find out what sort of package you require and what budget you have to spend. But a search over on www.webhostingtalk.com should give you some companies to be looking into/contacting.

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
www.hostpapa.co.uk - i signed up 3 months ago and never looked back, quite frankly there isnt a host out there that comes close to the amount of features they offer all included in the price.

Not a Clio
Had an update last night. Macester/Sym0n may be right. They've found the hacker did gain access via an unsecured script on our web space. They can't yet tell us what the unsecured script is and are keeping our space suspended until they can. It took them all day to get back on their feet :S