ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 firmware 2.8 (out now and has been out for a short while)

This is an optional update but worth it as it compresses the memory footprint of the OS even further to make more ram available for games.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i went to system update but it said i was up to date.

1998 BMW e46 323i
been out a while like you said, seems to offer f**k all in the way of improvement for me, 60gb.

Thought it was a security update TBH

The optional PS3 firmware update 2.80 actually included a very important improvement for game developers.

When PS3 firmware 2.80 came out it was unclear what had actually been included. The update was optional with the common and only log inclusion of "The playback quality of some PlayStation 3 format software has been improved."

Our friends at PS3Attitude discovered an increased character limit in chat, and TheSixthAxis found that the update was actually required for the console's music video application, VidZone. This was the first clue as to what the update actually included for PS3 developers.

It's now clear what was involved with the update; more RAM memory was made available, most likely due to the reduction of memory consumption for the console's Operating System (OS). How do we know? This information was provided by Sam Thompson, the producer of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, during an interview at this year's San Diego Comic-Con.

When asked what improvements had been made to Uncharted 2 since the game's multiplayer beta, Thompson told TQcast:

"Naughty Dog is constantly working to improve every aspect of the gameplay; be it animation, lighting, sound, texture fidelity. You know if you look at the game itself with the 2.80 engine update, you know we're adding more memory, so we get a lot more utilisation of the SPUs so we increase our optimisation of the Cell processor as well."

"So we've got from the engineering side all the way up to texture fidelity, artists adding in even more...I mean there's really not a singular aspect that's not been improved in the game," Thompson added.

It's presumed that the 2.80 engine update Thompson refers to is Naughty Dog's improvements after the PS3's 2.80 firmware update, with the coincidence being too significant to ignore. A reduced OS memory footprint is a common inclusion with PS3 updates and it's good to know that it's making such a positive impact with developers and their games.

For reference, the PS3's memory footprint was reduced to 74mb at firmware 1.80, so who knows what it is now. Sony might even be closing in on the Xbox 360's 32mb's.

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/games/u/uncharted-2/the-real-secret-in-ps3-firmware-2-80-$1314390.htm

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Its all good. Just keeps getting better.. really can't wait for Uncharted 2