ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 + iPlayer - 5.1 Sound?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I've just been using the iPlayer on the PS3, and have that through an optical to my DVD player + surround, but haven't got 5.1.

Is it possible to get 5.1 using iPlayer through PS3?

When I use it for Blu Rays, 5.1 set to DTS it's fine, get 5.1.

Any ideas?

1.6 Ford Focus
I have wondered this myself, I have my PS3 connected directly to my 5.1 via optical cable and when I watch certain programs on iPlayer it does sound like it's in surround sound.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
It didn't work for Survivors which is what I watched earlier on.

With Blu rays, it only works when set to DTS in the sound menu.

Does it need to bet set to the none DTS 5.1 to work with iPlayer? Or does iPlayer not support 5.1?

R26
I've always thought that standard definition TV is broadcast in just stereo sound. With a fancy sound system you can "force" 5.1 channel sound with a virtual surround driver that your sound system has built in (there should be info in your user manual). It won't be true surround, but atleast all the speakers will work.

I'd guess the same is so for low quality streamed online TV?

DVD's, HDBlu-rays and PS3 Games are different because they contain full surround sound files so your sound system just plays what it is given and all is well.

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
Normal BBC shows aren't in surround sound, I think it's just some shows on BBC HD so iPlayer deffo won't be 5.1