ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 vs. X360

PS3 vs X360?

I'll be getting a Wii, can't be doing with all this "my graphics are better than yours" rubbish, and I don't have a HD TV so no interest in Blu-Ray/HD-DVD for a few years yet. Just want some solid fun games here and now to play with the mates/family/missus etc, Wii seems to fit that spec perfectly. The DS has proved beyond doubt that gaming isn't about the best technology, so I have faith that the Wii will do well.

For what it's worth the PS2 DVD player was awful anyway, so if the Blu-Ray follows that example there will be better, cheaper stand-alone players in a few years (if the format lasts that long) if that really is the format of the future.

1.8 Civic EX
PS3 vs X360?

I'll be getting a Wii, can't be doing with all this "my graphics are better than yours" rubbish, and I don't have a HD TV so no interest in Blu-Ray/HD-DVD for a few years yet. Just want some solid fun games here and now to play with the mates/family/missus etc, Wii seems to fit that spec perfectly. The DS has proved beyond doubt that gaming isn't about the best technology, so I have faith that the Wii will do well.

For what it's worth the PS2 DVD player was awful anyway, so if the Blu-Ray follows that example there will be better, cheaper stand-alone players in a few years (if the format lasts that long) if that really is the format of the future.

you know where it's at! haha I got a 360 but I think once my Wii turns up it's gonna render the 360 useles....

all about the playabilty

dk

911 GTS Cab
sorry, but the wii really isn't in the same class, its hardly next gen, its just another console with a different controller, defo never going to be on my list, its good for kids but with the games and graphics on the 360, why go backwards, the 360 is hardly lacking in playability, and i'm not into waving a controller around pretending its a sword, please, how stupid will you look!

sorry, but the wii really isn't in the same class, its hardly next gen, its just another console with a different controller, defo never going to be on my list, its good for kids but with the games and graphics on the 360, why go backwards, the 360 is hardly lacking in playability, and i'm not into waving a controller around pretending its a sword, please, how stupid will you look!

Not really fussed about how I will look, or that it is perceived as a kids machine, as long as I'm having fun (and I'm pretty sure I will be) that doesn't really matter. I see grown adults playing on the "kiddie" DS every single day, the naysayers said it would be demolished by the uber-powerful PSP but obviously they were proved very very wrong. The DS alone has completely woken me up to modern gaming, I began to lose interest towards the end of the Mega Drive era.

"Next Gen" is just a marketing term, and these gens come along so quickly now that the current one hardly reaches it's peak before the next one shows up, it means nothing. Development of games for the consoles looking for the photo-realistic look are becoming prohibitively expensive and stifling creativity, eventually things will go 'back to basics' as the current trend is completely unsustainable in my opinion. The Wii is a step in the right direction.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Nintendo generally get the child games. Not a dig at all, sure they're well made in general, and get a lot of the cross format games anyway.

But my gaming is online. PS3 could have picture perfect graphics, couldn't care less, I have a 28" SDTV and the 360 is hardly crystal clear on that.

Don't need HD-DVD, Blu-Ray will be a flop in a year. So all in all, I guess I'm a casual gamer these days, and even though Saints Row is glitched to hell, and PDZ makes me want to tear out my hair. It's still the best fun you can have with a controller in your hands.

Tony Hawks just looks amazing, I know that's multi-format, but XBoxLive isn't!!

BTW Regarding PCs.

PC comments are generally pointless, you can spec a PC up to out calculate the NASA shuttle, but you'll still need to upgrade it in a year to play the new games. I used to be all about the PC before XBox, but making memory cards redundant and giving a good controller for FPS, XBox won me over.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Xbox 360 for me. PS3 will be overpriced and not offer anything better with regards graphics and gameplay.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Not really fussed about how I will look, or that it is perceived as a kids machine, as long as I'm having fun (and I'm pretty sure I will be) that doesn't really matter. I see grown adults playing on the "kiddie" DS every single day, the naysayers said it would be demolished by the uber-powerful PSP but obviously they were proved very very wrong. The DS alone has completely woken me up to modern gaming, I began to lose interest towards the end of the Mega Drive era.

"Next Gen" is just a marketing term, and these gens come along so quickly now that the current one hardly reaches it's peak before the next one shows up, it means nothing. Development of games for the consoles looking for the photo-realistic look are becoming prohibitively expensive and stifling creativity, eventually things will go 'back to basics' as the current trend is completely unsustainable in my opinion. The Wii is a step in the right direction.
i could never have a DS over my PSP either sorry, games on the PSP are much better, graphics are better and it does so much more than just gaming.

As for next gen, its hardly a marketing term, the next generation of consoles moving on from Xbox and PS2 are the 360 and PS3, the next generation of consoles, hardly anything other than a true comment, its not best gen but next gen and technically is right.

There always seem to be people who like Nintendo, but in reality the 360 and pS3 will do the best in europe.

COD3 on Wii is said to poor when compared to the 360 version, why would i want to play something thats probably as good as a PS2 when the 360/ps3 are around, just because it has a gimmic for a controller, it will wear off i'm sure, so enjoy it while you do. But as I said, there is a market for it so people must love it, its just that as a 30 year old I need something more than the Wii gives me sorry.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
This PS3 wipes the floor with 360 bollox is comical its only got a handful of games out for it and people say its better??

Resistance is the big game for PS3 at the moment, look at that and then look at Gears of War for the 360 and theres no competition :nono:

Have a look at Ridge Racer 6 on the Xbox 360, then look at screenshots form Ridge Racer 7 on the PS3 which has had a years more development.

The graphics on Ridge Racer 6 (360 year older) still look better than the graphics on Ridge Racer 7 (PS3 year newer)

I will post some screenshots later this evening as i cant access them from work.

1.8 Civic EX
360 - Here's a console, it plays real good looking games and works fantatically online and is a complete media centre when connected to the PC

Wii - Here's something totally different, will apeal to all "gamers" and just in genereal a whole new piece of kit...very refreshing

PS3 - no doubt it will play some good looking games....but it's something that has lots of crazy techy shite that no-one really cares about......stupidly over priced....

Check IGN.com, they have plenty of PS3 videos.

The games currently out with the PS3 are frankly rubbish! Look at resistance, supposed to show off the PS3's technical capabilities. Well, it doesnt look as good as COD3 lets alone Gears of War.

Look at their review of Tony Hawks on PS3. No where near as good as the 360 version, and they say it runs as slow as 15fps on occation!!

Generally they seem dissapointed with the PS3 thus far. Wipes the floor with it??? Sony fanboy talk (which I used to be!)!

The PS3 is an excellent machnine, as is the xbox. But its like comparing Ferrari to Lamborghini. You wont notice much difference in performance terms but they do things slightly differently.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
mate works at sony - he's always going on about how amazing blu-ray is on high end teles and projectors, running 1080p. the question is how much better will they be over HD-DVD which he basically has said is thy're nearly identical.

as for 360 and ps3, well we'll see. we've all seen the 360 in action, it's only time which will tell which one is better, although from so many different sources it seems that the ps3 won't hold many advatnages over the 360...it certinaly won't wipe the floor with it but i guess it depends what you mean with that, when my mates had ps2's and xboxs i would show them how a pc can wipe the floor with consoes...i don't think the same difference will affect the ps3 to the 360...but again we'll see.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I'm in the same boat. My girlfriend has asked me if I want an XBox 360 for Chrimbo, too. At the end of the day, you're not paying for it ;)

Hehe, seriously though, I know the 360 is a superman of a machine, but my number one choice will be the PS3, and I will definitely be buying one when they arrive (albeit not at the price they're charging at the moment). I've read the hype and the details of it being 3 times as powerful etc etc etc. At the end of the day, its all about the games and software, and if you'll like them.

The 360 has certainly got some cracking games, and it definitely would be a great present as it has a massive lasting appeal and given the right games, you could be playing for months or even years.

Fiesta ST
PS3 = Brand loyalty and hype thats the only thing that is gonna sell this machine.

Had a xbox360 since launch and over the year the whole system has just got better and better with the updates and the games are improving all the time.

Liked what was said earlier combined with a PC its a great home entertainment system. Now added with HD-DVD for only £130! its a fantastic complete HD machine.

I dont see what the PS3 can offer me other than blue-ray? sure some games are gonna be fantasic in a years time but with most the big games coming out on 360 anyway I dont see the big fuss.

Xbox Live has been established for a long time now and works full stop!

PS3 hardware might be speced slightly higher but microsoft have got some dam good experience with software!

Evo 8 Jap Crap
This PS3 wipes the floor with 360 bollox is comical its only got a handful of games out for it and people say its better??

Resistance is the big game for PS3 at the moment, look at that and then look at Gears of War for the 360 and theres no competition :nono:

Have a look at Ridge Racer 6 on the Xbox 360, then look at screenshots form Ridge Racer 7 on the PS3 which has had a years more development.

The graphics on Ridge Racer 6 (360 year older) still look better than the graphics on Ridge Racer 7 (PS3 year newer)

I will post some screenshots later this evening as i cant access them from work.

Quoted as im home now and have the screenshots. Ridge Racer 6 on the Xbox 360 and Ridge Racer 7 on the PS3 which has had a years extra development.

Notice how lots of detail is missing out the PS3 version, is it cause the PS3 cant render like the 360 can??

Either way you decide which looks better, the pictures say a 1000 words :nono:

rr7ps36.gif

Which one is the PS3 version out the bottom 2 and which you think looks better?

up0078nk4.jpg

up0080ak3.jpg

Evo 8 Jap Crap
The top one is the PS3.

In my opinion and a lot of others the top one (PS3) looks flat, almost like an arcade game, lots of details is missed out such as the lake in the valley, the grass lacks depth and the car is misisng a lot of shadowing.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
According to IGN, the PS3 version of Tony Hawk's Project 8 suffers from two key problems. First, as previously announced, the PS3 version lacks an online mode. However, more suprisingly, the PS3's Project 8 frequently grinds to halt. The game chugs and the framerate frequently drops to an unplayable 15 FPS.

To sum it up, IGN says "It's certainly disappointing that the PlayStation 3 is so far behind the Xbox 360 game. Framerate issues are apparent at every other turn, and the lack of online play really hurts. Project 8 is a worthy game to pick up, just preferably not on this system."

The top one is the PS3.

In my opinion and a lot of others the top one (PS3) looks flat, almost like an arcade game, lots of details is missed out such as the lake in the valley, the grass lacks depth and the car is misisng a lot of shadowing.

i agree the bottom looks better altho its a bit dark

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Bottom pic which was a bit dark was through the standard component cable, colours are always better on the 360 through a VGA cable

Monaro VXR
Looks like the 360 version has got some HDR type lighting going on as well where as the PS3 version does not.

I haven't seen any photo-realistic graphics from the PS3 or 360 that look right yet, in fact I explained this in detail to someone after seeing this stunning Sony F1 HD video earlier, and I was pointed to this wikipedia article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_Valley

That explains exactly what I was trying to get across, graphics are at that annoying stage where they are nearly perfect, but nobody has quite got there yet. To me it's really off-putting, I prefer less realistic or more cartoon-like visuals, at least until they find a way to climb out of the other side of that Uncanny Valley.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Lookin at them pics i say 360 looks better, the ps3 looks more crisp but there seem more detail in xbox one

i mean hdr and 4x aa with no impact to processing performance lol as it says not even the fastest cards out now can do that !! oh and the fact its a dx10 card and its a year old and the first dx10 card has only just hit the street

That F1 game looks good, shame it'll not be on the 360 :(

You think? I thought it looked terrible. I mean, obviously it looks incredible, but it's so realistic graphically that it's now really really obvious that they don't move exactly like an F1 car should...uncanny valley!

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
yeh halo 2 was good, i played it online too, which was mint, the new one looks insane really gona push the 360