ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 vs. X360

360 pic looks more detailed on ridge racer.. PS3 one looks very bright and colourful.. but TBH not as realistic!

A4 Avant
If the contrast was adjusted on the 360 image then I'd prefer that! the textures look to have more depth to them.

But as the images are I prefer the PS3 image!

dk

911 GTS Cab
just been reading playstation magasine on the PS3 and the new controller, it tilts in all different angles now but has one major flaw, no bloody shock! That is a big thing to not have in the controller IMO

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Graphics are always toned down for online games, unless you're playing with bitmap style models aka Ridge Racer et all..

Splinter cell online graphics are no-where near the offline counterparts. Yet online is all I play of that game. Same with Saints Row, Perfect Dark.. And pretty much every other game I have... Oh and Halo2;) The graphics online there were lacking the fidelity of the Single player offerings.

PS3 will be bought by me when... Hell freezes over;)

I'm not exactly chuffed with Microsoft;s efforts for the 360. Shocking build quality and stability. The only reason I have one is my online Friend's List !!!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
"Graphics are always toned down for online games, unless you're playing with bitmap style models aka Ridge Racer et all.."

dont think so

cliokhunt said:
Graphics are always toned down for online games, unless you're playing with bitmap style models aka Ridge Racer et all..

Splinter cell online graphics are no-where near the offline counterparts. Yet online is all I play of that game. Same with Saints Row, Perfect Dark.. And pretty much every other game I have... Oh and Halo2;) The graphics online there were lacking the fidelity of the Single player offerings.

PS3 will be bought by me when... Hell freezes over;)

I'm not exactly chuffed with Microsoft;s efforts for the 360. Shocking build quality and stability. The only reason I have one is my online Friend's List !!![/quote]

_______

Eh? Build quality and stability? Never been an issue on mine! Loving the 360 at the mo, COD3 rocks, and tomorrow, Gears of War (possibly the best game EVER!) comes out!

Oh, and the online graphics are only toned down when the programmers cant be arsed to code the game properly. Test Drive is awesome online, and has awesome graphics with supurb detail and MASSIVE draw distances. Splinter Cell graphics arnt in the same legue (being a multi format game and not a 360 specific game), yet they tone down the online mode. Why?

Last edited:

Lee

BMW M2C
just been reading playstation magasine on the PS3 and the new controller, it tilts in all different angles now but has one major flaw, no bloody shock! That is a big thing to not have in the controller IMO

The new controller is horrid. I thought the beta ones we were sent were bad so hoped the retail one would be better. They are the same!!

They are far too light without the rumble motors and now L2 and R2 are triggers which are crap. It's not easy to use L1 and R1 now because of that change.

Leon Cupra R 225

The new controller is horrid. I thought the beta ones we were sent were bad so hoped the retail one would be better. They are the same!!

They are far too light without the rumble motors and now L2 and R2 are triggers which are crap. It's not easy to use L1 and R1 now because of that change.

Bad news... :(

I like the 360 controllers

Lee

BMW M2C
Yeah the 360 controller is excellent, but is let down by the D pad. It's next to useless. Pushing it in the direction you want it a nightmare!! I can't even play Street Fighter on it because I can't do the moves I want when I want them.

Leon Cupra R 225
Is there any good aftermarket controllers for the 360 that are worth having a look at?

When Street Fighter came out one of the lads at work ordered this one to see if it was any better: http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/GENBRW/3-/741467/Joytech_Neo_Se_Advanced_Controller/Product.html

It wasn't. :(

Bugger. I don't have a 360 yet, but anticipate xmas will be bringing one along :)

I'll keep looking to see if there's any other aftermarket controller's worth having.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yeah the 360 controller is excellent, but is let down by the D pad. It's next to useless. Pushing it in the direction you want it a nightmare!! I can't even play Street Fighter on it because I can't do the moves I want when I want them.

My thoughts exactly. Love the button layout, everything is in the right position, apart from maybe the start and back buttons. Which I preferred down by my left thumb.

The D-Pad though.... Sure you get used to pressing it unduely hard, but it's pretty damn useless for controlling anything other than a menu, and it sucks at that too.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Eh? Build quality and stability? Never been an issue on mine! Loving the 360 at the mo, COD3 rocks, and tomorrow, Gears of War (possibly the best game EVER!) comes out!

Oh, and the online graphics are only toned down when the programmers cant be arsed to code the game properly. Test Drive is awesome online, and has awesome graphics with supurb detail and MASSIVE draw distances. Splinter Cell graphics arnt in the same legue (being a multi format game and not a 360 specific game), yet they tone down the online mode. Why?

And because your one console has run problem free means there isn't a problem ??

Nice...

Well I'm happy for you on the 360 level. Overheating = freezing, freezing = hairs being removed with force...

I am really dissappointed with MS for what they've done here, the thing only needs higher RPM fans and it would be fine !!! But they refuse to accept there's a problem..

I have an extra cooler now and all is well on the heat front. So I'm in the same boat as you, MS still haven't replied to my letter regarding why I need a £20 piece of China crap with extra fans to make my "next gen" £300 console work properly for more than 30minutes....

Monaro VXR
Most early issues have been fixed in later newer systems. Always the same with first revision hardware. PS2 was not exactly perfect wen it launched neither was the PSX. No consoles ever are they all have problems most of the time.

Same with new cars you by a brand new car thats only been on the market a couple months and you can expect to get numerous recalls on it to fix various issues that crop up when mass testing is conducted. Still it usually only affects a small number of people. Like the 360 issue do.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

And because your one console has run problem free means there isn't a problem ??

Nice...

Well I'm happy for you on the 360 level. Overheating = freezing, freezing = hairs being removed with force...

I am really dissappointed with MS for what they've done here, the thing only needs higher RPM fans and it would be fine !!! But they refuse to accept there's a problem..

I have an extra cooler now and all is well on the heat front. So I'm in the same boat as you, MS still haven't replied to my letter regarding why I need a £20 piece of China crap with extra fans to make my "next gen" £300 console work properly for more than 30minutes....

if it doesn't work then return it? must still be in warranty and MS have swapped shed loads

VaVa
My 360 wont read discs unless it'ss upright for some reason.... f**king thing. It was OK when I first got it. But now it just ejects the tray straight away unless it turn it upright.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Sure, return it, but they're all the same hardware, and it's not faulty chips that's the issue, it's heat.

MS knew about it from the off, it's not like it's a small issue. When they first released the demo pods in stores across the USA, many of them were freezing constantly, MS said that they simply needed setting up correctly... I think their solution was add coolers inside the pods. However many stores just had to switch them off.

As soon as it was released, there was unusually large amount of posts and threads on xbox.com about the overheating issue.

I know everything has it's problems and that you can't test for everything.... But I find it hard to believe MS didn't know about the problem when they released the thing.

Anyway, XBox live is still to date the best thing in the gaming area, and although I have to use an addon, I still get to play it, so it's not all bad.

inferno rs 182
i've had both an ps1 &2 and also an originaL xbox an 360. i have to say after owning a 360 4 a year the graphics and game selection have really let me down.

inferno rs 182
i agree the 360 controllers are by far the best tho.
i used to say there no reason to got back to sony because the xbox shows its quality however i am no on the waitin list 4 a ps3

Mito Sportiva 135
i was the biggest sony fanboy, now i have a samsung LCD, a canon DSLR camera and a Xbox 360.

SOny are not what they once were, people have caught up now.

The only game I can think of that the PS3 has over the 360 now is GT and that was never a favourite of mine. 360 has Gears of war, halo and now will have GTA the same time as the ps3 so no having to wait 6 months.

Xbox live is amazing and there is no way that sony can match that after their ps2 effort, so for online games the 360 wille easily have it and from what i have seen so far on the games the ps3 will have to be pretty special to better it, the 360 already has a years worth of games development ahead of the ps3 so you will have to wait a while to get the same type of caliber games the 360 is currently starting to showcase.

The only reason i am getting a ps3 when its out is for a cheap bluray drive, and thats if its any good, i won't be getting it for its games, 360 all the way for me baby. And thats coming from someone who hated the original xbox and has always had sony consoles, i am a convert!

Agreed. Sony may be the big personal electronic brand but not necessarilly the best in terms of tendering to consumers needs. XBox Live is definitely Microsoft's strongest achievment in the industry, with a massive community already. It will take a long time for Sony to catch up, if they can at all as Microsoft have so much experience of net related products (Live is probably its best).

The Blueray drive in the PS3 is a cheap option but it probably won't have all the features or quality of a dedicated player, especially later on as they become increasingly advanced.

none, just walk
to be totally honest im a computer nerd and i own a 360 and ive already paid for my wii when it comes out, i had a ps2 and didnt get a xbox so i was a bit against not continuing onto a ps3, but in reality im not really fused about the ps3, im sure when it comes out it will be what the 360 was this time last year with all the hype and stuff, im happy with my 360 the graphics are great and there is a real good run of games coming out for it, sure it crashes a few times but im not really that bothered, the online is where it shines though and i dunno if the ps3 will do that, and also the other thing that is putting me off getting excited about a ps3 is the fact that no way in hell would i pay that much for a console, give it about 2 years when the prices drop and i would consider but paying that much for a console is daft, im not bothered the fact that it can play blue ray and all that lark ive never played a dvd on my ps2 or 360 cos i have a player for that, the stats say the ps3 is much better than the 360 but i dunno if sony will be able to bridge the price gap and over a years advantage the 360 has.

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
i've had both an ps1 &2 and also an originaL xbox an 360. i have to say after owning a 360 4 a year the graphics and game selection have really let me down.
you must have some rubbish games then as my recent selection has been first class, COD3, GOW, TDU, Saints Row, Tomb Raider etc, stunning and very playable games.

As far as car games go it doesn't get much better than TDU and as far as 3rd person shooters it doesn't get any better than GOW, graphically it is stunning, the detail is unbelievable.

i agree the 360 controllers are by far the best tho.
i used to say there no reason to got back to sony because the xbox shows its quality however i am no on the waitin list 4 a ps3

Wouldnt bother with a PS3 if you already have a 360, in a lot of ways it will be a step down. Developers are already saying that, overall the 360 is the more capable machine. The titles on the PS3 at the moment are a joke. For example;

NFS Carbon - (all qoutes from IGN)
"Visually, the PlayStation 3 version of Need for Speed Carbon falls short of its Xbox 360 counterpart. The two games run at roughly the same framerate, but the PS3's filtering effects, specifically the blurring, can be ugly. Road textures look nice and detailed at low speeds, but when you're flying down the road and the game blurs everything, they simply look poor. A few other odd things don't match up either, like the Drafter's wake, which is a transparent cylinder on the 360 and some rather ugly blue streamers on the PS3"

Tony Hawks Project 8 -
"The first major issue that the PlayStation 3 version has is that it doesn't include any online support. Considering that the Tony Hawk series was the first online game for the PlayStation 2, even before the Network Adapter was ever released, makes this seem curious. And the fact that this is the only major launch title that isn't online but should be is basically inexcusable. Tony Hawk's online play is good fun, and it's really disappointing that Neversoft included it with the Xbox 360 version but not this one. The second problem with the PS3 variant of Project 8 is that it simply doesn't run all that well. The game chops up left and right, sometimes to the point where the controls don't feel responsive. It's bad enough that the camera isn't always perfect, but when it's staring at the bottom of your board and the game is running at 15fps, well, there's a major problem. That's not to say that it always runs poorly, as it can be reasonably quick most of the time, but Project 8 chops up way more often than is normally forgivable."

John Madden, Ridge Racer etc etc. It seems like for like on the same games, the 360 comes out top on performance, online aspects and game features.

In addition, gamers in Japan have said that a lot of the games played so far have not really been an improvement on PS2 titles! Again, IGN;

Mobile Suit Gundam -
"Gameplay aside, Crossfire looks like a work-in-progress. It does next to nothing to demonstrate the power of the PS3. Some of the texture work on the mobile suits looks decent, but damn, everything else is PS2 quality or below. The water effects will make an HD TV set cry. The ground textures and explosion effects look bad enough to make eyes vomit. The menus and interface fare about the same. It all looks terrible. Everything from the text to the mission briefing graphics cry for polish and a dash -- just a dash -- of style. But they don't get any."

Untold Legends - "a last gen title!"

Genji - described as being like a PS2 title.

I could go on, but this post would be HUGE and there arnt actually that many games to list, but how dissapointed would you be if you spent £500 + and had to play this dross? About the best thing on it is Resistance, and that is rubbish compared to GOW, COD3 etc. The performance stats of the PS3 have also been over exaggerated by Sony.

In addition, Sony are p1ssing off a lot of developers, with some deciding not to go the PS3 route due to intolerable working relationships with Sony. One well known game studio stated "I hope Sony fail with the PS3, and I think they will". With that kind of support it doesnt look good!

Give it a year or so and there might be some decent titles. But by that time, Blu Ray would have died a quiet death.

Last edited:

you are clearly buying rubbish 3rd party games.

Get out to the shops and buy Call of Duty 3 and Gears of War!