ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R5 GT Turbo - bigger turbo

Whats the process to fit a bigger turbo (never mind the lag) on a R5 GTT?

Which one is most common to swith the orginal T2? And what are the modificatios needed?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

um depending on what size turbo you want along with how much you want to spend and how long you want the rest of the engine to last is up to you, but a simple 1 would be a standard t2 hybrid rollerbearing with mods to the housing, then u can go t25 hybrid, t28 hybrid, t3hybrid, but the higher you go the more lag u get, etc, if you go bigger, you really need to look at putting a stronger headgasket on etc, and making sure your intercooler will stay in 1 piece and not explode, i had a r 5gtt standard intercooler on my 440 the other week seeing if it made much diff to the 1 i already had, and i blew it to sh*t running 15psi through it,

there are lots of things to take in to account, but it is a pretty much simple unbolt and dissconnect oil pipes etc, and bolt on new 1.

Clio 172 cup

yeah its entirely what you want from the engine?

If you want 200bhp + then there is a vast range of turbos to choose from

however many modifications are needed or advisable

standard intercooler blows apart after 14 psi so an alloy jobbie would be a good idea or if you can afford it a double capacity one

you will also probably need

group n clutch

group a head gasket

ajustable timing sensor, is needed so you can r****d the timing to stop the engine pinking

go to http://www.gttuning.comwww.gttuning.com for more info

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

required Mods.

T25 or T28

Uprated Oil feed line

Larger choke sleeve on the carb (required to stop eddies building with higher air flow from large comp wheel) as well as corret jetting

More efficient intercooler.. (lost of options here) -

Rolling road set up

******and for reliability*******

Wire ringed liners

Better head gasket (correctly fitted)

Higher clamping on head (12.9 bolts and about 55 ft/lbs)

15w50 semi or fully syn engine oil..... (NOT 0-40 mobile 1)

Rolling road set up

Andy

GDI

trust, i know for a fact that a r5 running a t25, uprated intercooler/oil cooler, carb + other mods running 17psi, is no quicker than a 172 and after bout 90mph the 172 pulls on the r5 and leaves it in its dust!!! :devilish:

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Depends on the engine and mods, and they arent built for top end but a decent example with choice mods should sh*t on a 172 0-60, 30-70 and 0-100. Remember 170bhp isnt that hard to get out of a 5 and they weigh at least 250kg less if not more so they are capable of a very good BHP/tonne.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

stick a diff gear box on it like the 1.7 440 turbo box, which is geared for 140mph, providing the engine dont run out of puff, u should be able to keep up with the top speed of a 172, or atleast get a big enuff gap between you both, so that the 172 will have a job catching u.