ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Racelands Coilover Pics - Haterz Gon' Hate!

I still need to adjust the height and get it aligned (raise the back and see if it scrubs with my 15's on at the front) but overall fairly happy with how it stands. Took me about 4 hours to fit on my own and spent about 5 and a half hours on the stands due to lost tools and a panicky thread on here about topmounts earlier...

Hope you enjoy (or hate if your that way inclined)...

6215233592_5a6673246e_z.jpg

Raceland_01 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

Wind caught the tripod here so sharpness is out but shows the rear height...

6214717181_2cc80f148d_z.jpg

m_Raceland_02 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

Wonky ground.... not car!

6214717571_4f7ac209fa_z.jpg

m_Raceland_03 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

Light trail :D

6215240462_aafdc77b5f_z.jpg

Raceland_04 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

Overall, back up a smidge on one side, Front nose down a bit more if possible, get the new tyres on the OZ F1's... Happy days

Sam

AAS'D RB 182
looks good mate. dont see the problem with the cheaper end coilovers if your just after looks rather than track day performance. good effort.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Sits nicely mate. just hope you dont do what i do buy cheap coilovers and then end up saving up for decent ones in the end up when your fed up of bouncing up and down the b roads a few months down the line ;)

Sits nicely mate. just hope you dont do what i do buy cheap coilovers and then end up saving up for decent ones in the end up when your fed up of bouncing up and down the b roads a few months down the line ;)

My immediate thought after purchase lol... buy cheap buy twice and all that!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
LOL it is a shame mate. Hope you get on with yours better :) P.s mine are vmaxx not raceland

e92 330i
Looks great mate! I have racelands, hated them the first month, now im just used to it. But the stance is addictive. Nice work :)

Clio182, 88'Scirocco
Like it. I'm on the K-tec coilies and there ok as well. Nice and low with plenty of scrubbage

Looks great Sam, I also cannot see a problem with the more affordable coilovers. Not everyone has £2k to spend on suspension..... Good effort getting them fitted mate!

Thanks Everyone!

Like it. I'm on the K-tec coilies and there ok as well. Nice and low with plenty of scrubbage

I have a bit of scrubbing on tight roundabouts... Hoping that the 15's will solve this and may have to chop a bit out of the liners!!

But does it handle any better? ;)

Oh hell no!!! HAHA, let's just say it doesn't feel any worse than the Eibachs, and if anything, it feels a bit more point and go!! Ride comfort unknown as of yet!

Should of asked me for hand you spanner. Looks good though.

Haha cheers mate, decided to have a stab myself, very proud in all honesty as mechanics isn't my strong point... Although all that lego as a kid clearly paid off! I might need your expertise prior to alignment as I am 90% sure my driveshaft is knackered and no point aligning it before sorting that out!

Nowt wrong with Racelands really, even on track. Just a bit soft.

Your reviews were one of the reasons that convinced me Jon, appreciate that, thanks!

Looks great Sam, I also cannot see a problem with the more affordable coilovers. Not everyone has £2k to spend on suspension..... Good effort getting them fitted mate!

Cheers Tom! You will definitely be able to do springs yourself. Springs only I reckon I could do in a couple of hours now lol!!

What's the ride like sam?

Look forward to seeing the front down and those f1s on!

Not sure yet mate but need to lose a bit of the arch as I have scrubbing atm. Hoping the combination of 15" and 195's will help the situation. No idea whats catching though :(

Will be very happy with the car when the wheels are on and that bloody knocking is fixed :D Haven't driven it hard in weeks as a result and I was beginning to fall out of love with it!

Milltek'd clio 182
sam i cant see the pics as im at work and there blocked, im going to have to get home and look tonight, well sam im impressed, you never seem to be a modifying man to me, but im very impressed that you have let lose and gone mad haha. your going to have to pop up sometime and show me your ride, im living at kates house now so im literally at carlton parade in orpington. give us a text mate.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
The scrubbing is probably the wheels catching on the "L" bracket behind the inner arch. Bend ot so it's flat or cut the lip part and you should be fine :)

R53 Cooper S
looks good mate. dont see the problem with the cheaper end coilovers if your just after looks rather than track day performance. good effort.

If it's done purely for looks then you may as well just cut the springs imo.

It would probably handle 1000000x better!;)

sam i cant see the pics as im at work and there blocked, im going to have to get home and look tonight, well sam im impressed, you never seem to be a modifying man to me, but im very impressed that you have let lose and gone mad haha. your going to have to pop up sometime and show me your ride, im living at kates house now so im literally at carlton parade in orpington. give us a text mate.

Cheers Chris! I just had to bite the bullet as I wanted it lower although I'll put it back if I don't get on with them... Good news moving in with Kate!! I realised the other day going through my old PM's that I completely forgot to get back to you about your leaky footwell, did you manage to get it sorted?

The scrubbing is probably the wheels catching on the "L" bracket behind the inner arch. Bend ot so it's flat or cut the lip part and you should be fine :)

Thought as much, wasn't sure where but I had a look tonight and there is a lump under the arch liner towards the front of the car. Have to get the hammers and saws out!

Astra H vxr
would the ride be more uncomfortable using raceland coilovers then eibach springs 30mm ?

ps loving how low the car is :p sits perfect IMO :rasp:

^ From covering approximate 15-20 gentle miles since fitting I would say general driving they are crashier but by no means uncomfortable, it just means that the car rattles more on uneven roads. However it also corners flatter.

The real test will be the GF this weekend. I know she will say straight away "oh you look like a bloody chav with it that low, how do you intend on crossing speedbumps? etc..." However she is a petrolhead herself so I'll chuck her the keys and let her take it for a drive to see how she rates the handling change.

Really need to sort my driveshaft so I can hurl some abuse at it in the corners...

Milltek'd clio 182
thats ok fella, leak is fixed and the car is nice and dry, which means my love is back again, well if you fancy a morning drive soon, let us know fella, and were grab a few shots locally, an i have an ideal location as well that is only ten minutes from us in otford. just give us a text anytime my friend. dont fancy fitting an arb kit at all ?lol

Evo 5 RS
What people need to realise is that were by you're obviously going to see a big difference in cheap coilovers to respected brands, the main difference is in build quality.

If you're fitting racelands you don't expect miracles and it will probably be a tad crashy but the handling will improve over standard if you've had full geometry. May sound daft but it's not rocket science.

Sounds good, always up for pictures. Need to sort the knocks before any morning drives lol, I know what they turn into!!

I could have a stab at the arb for you mate should be about some time next week or next weekend... I think it just bolts between the rear strut and the strut bolt and then onto the rear beam from the pictures I've seen but I'll double check.

What people need to realise is that were by you're obviously going to see a big difference in cheap coilovers to respected brands, the main difference is in build quality.

If you're fitting racelands you don't expect miracles and it will probably be a tad crashy but the handling will improve over standard - may sound daft but it's not rocket science.

100% agree :) I know they are cheap. That's why I got them...

I'm not deluded enough to expect them to perform like, or have the quality of, the B14's :rasp:. I'm certainly not expecting miracles and in all honesty if the handling is as good as it was on sportlines, but lower, then the ride quality is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

Megane Diesel / 172
I've fitted KTR Coilovers and they are definitely an improvement on my standard set-up, but then when I replaced the originals I did notice the rear shock was fecked!!

They were harsh to begin with on 17's, but when I switched to 15's, what a difference!!, getting the set-up done professionally next month and 1st track day begining of the Castle Combe season next year :approve:

BG182FF
hey mate, did you get the scrubbing sorted mate? ive got mine fitted now and is scrubbing two, cut the arch liner and seems to still scrub when cornering hard?

After 300+ miles this weekend I have come to the conclusion that the ride is a lot firmer and you can feel every bump in the road. Hoever it is by no means uncomfortable and they will be staying for the time being...

hey mate, did you get the scrubbing sorted mate? ive got mine fitted now and is scrubbing two, cut the arch liner and seems to still scrub when cornering hard?

Dr Jekyll mentioned above and I had a little search.... You need to cut out the bump in the archliner then bend the bracket behind it out of the way of the arch. I will do this at some point this week cos I still have scrubbing at the front.... Also still haven't got my 15s on yet so will have to get that sorted as well!!