ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RB or Trophy

So.. Not that im really bored of my car but a potential oppertunity has come up. My uncle, a car dealer had a 'job lot' of cars earlier in the year and a trophy was one of them. Ment to go have a look at it but due to work never got the chance. Well apon generally chatting today turns out hes still got it. Im gonna go check it out later in the week, partly to just see one properly in the metal and partly 'coz im thinking of chopping the rb for it.

Just wondering if its really worth concidering, just thinking it would be worth having something that holds its value and is perhaps the best hot hatch ever made depending on opinion.

Thoughts welcomed

Oh, you've got one as well?
I suppose i should include my cars vitals.
Its 80,000 miles
1 previous owner from new im the second owner
racing blue both cup packs
cambelt dephaser replaced 10k miles ago (last year)
Body work tidy (usual stone chips at front end)

The trophy is about 60k miles and thats all i know about it.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
It will hold better value than an rb, but 'the best hot hatch ever made' nearly made me spit my drink out. They are good but not that good.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
Does your uncle know what it is? In the sense its a trophy and therefor carries a premium or just a 182? If the deal is favorable I would be inclined to go for it. I wouldn't expect it to be much different to a cup packed 182, although I have never driven a trophy properly, I have driven a few on PDI checks (Renault Lincoln mechanic's apprentership FML) I do not buy into the whole legend of them being a million times better handling than the regular ones.

Having said that the trophy's do seem to have taken a bit of a hit on the money of late, but no doubt always be worth more than a 'regular' 182. If you do do it make sure belts are done and the sachs dampers can be ££££'s to refurb if they are worn so I am told!

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
So basically your opinion of a Trophy is based on driving a couple "around the block"?

S3 Sportback, Ninja
Not just round the block no, a 15 sometimes 20 mile road test, however on that road test I didn't feel it appropriate to be smashing a customers brand new 15-16k clio round some back roads flat out like some of the other mechanics did.

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Ok, so you've "not driven one properly" 15 or 20 miles around the block seven years ago.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
Yes that's what I said 15-20 miles round the block, the same block every day for 7 years.

Wow you get a trophy everyday?? for the last seven years?? correct me if i'm wrong but i thought they only made 500?? something don't add up?

Yes that's what I said 15-20 miles round the block, the same block every day for 7 years.

So as an apprentice you took customers cars on a 15-20 mile drive which would last best part of an hour in traffic?

But you don't buy into the legend of them as you've never driven one properly? To me, your opinion is null and void on the matter.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
It will hold better value than an rb, but 'the best hot hatch ever made' nearly made me spit my drink out. They are good but not that good.

not_sure_if_srs.jpg

Ok so apart from driving one round the block everyday does anyone with any other experience recommend me part ex the rb for the trophy?

330i. E30 Touring.
Trophy over standard 182, all day long.

And i've had extensive experience with both.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
As someone that has had both, the trophy is a much better car than the regular 182, it's just a shame about the colour.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Why don't you try the Trophy?

If it doesn't work out after a few months, sell it and buy another 182. At least then you'll have intimate knowledge of both and be able to form your own opinion. If you love the Trophy then keep it. If you don't think it's worth the premium then sell it, at least you'll have scratched the itch and you won't have lost too much, if anything.

You only live once!

Check out its history fully though - belts (obviously) & Sachs dampers. There may be some useful into on ClioTrophy.co.uk if it's been registered there by previous owner(s).

RB 182 FF
Keep the RB! It's an infinitely nicer colour than the rubbish Trophy red. Trophy's have budget cloth interior and no Xenon headlights which is g*y... Your RB FF is a superb handling car anyway so who cares if the Trophy handling is better..... Also no worries of the Sachs dampers on your FF.... Ummmmmm keep the RB! :D

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Keep the RB! It's an infinitely nicer colour than the rubbish Trophy red. Trophy's have budget cloth interior and no Xenon headlights which is g*y... Your RB FF is a superb handling car anyway so who cares if the Trophy handling is better..... Also no worries of the Sachs dampers on your FF.... Ummmmmm keep the RB! :D

Ah, a completely un-biased opinion there.

+1

And if it's the Sachs dampers that are swaying you, just get a set off here 2nd hand and put them on your RB!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
How is 'who cares if the Trophy handling is better....' a fact, exactly? Also, 'rubbish red'.

Those sound like opinions to me.

Standard for standard, the Trophy is a better car. RB is arguably a better colour.

RB 182 FF
How is 'who cares if the Trophy handling is better....' a fact, exactly? Also, 'rubbish red'.

Those sound like opinions to me.

Standard for standard, the Trophy is a better car. RB is arguably a better colour.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm... The trophy handling is better, fact. The trophy red isn't as nice a colour, fact.

The trophy has cloth, yes CLOTH interior :S and halogen headlights, so so poor for a supposed 'special edition'. In my 'opinion' it's not worth the premium prices, a mint RB 182 is the nicest looking 182 by far :D

RX7 FD

Yup those dirty rubbish clothy Recaro's really let the Interior down ;). Who needs Xenons anyway. The Trophy has all the interior kit it needs. A/C and a CD player. Personally I like driving a car not humping Xenons and climate control!

Sachs + Turinis + Recaro's + Pink Go-Kart = Win.

RB is a nice colour though.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Meh, I can't be bothered. Only thing I will say is that the xenon headlights from a 1*2 aren't quite as wonderful as you think. In fact, they're pretty pony.

OP. Drive the Trophy and see what you think. It's a better car IMO, but whether it's worth the extra over a normal is down to personal preference.

RB 182 FF
Meh, I can't be bothered. Only thing I will say is that the xenon headlights from a 1*2 aren't quite as wonderful as you think. In fact, they're pretty pony.

OP. Drive the Trophy and see what you think. It's a better car IMO, but whether it's worth the extra over a normal is down to personal preference.

I've been having a bit of a laugh really, I can see the appeal of a Trophy to some people but it's not for me. I think Renault could have done a far better job of a special edition than the final Trophy guise, but that's just my opinion. Plus I love RB! :D

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I wouldn't say a far better job really mate. Fit xenon's and half-leather rear bench/doorcards. Done.

Compared to the MK3 'specials', the Trophy is astonishing, lol! Drive one (buy mine!) and you'll be a convert, trust me ;)

Funny I had this article in mind. Tbh yes i do prefere Rb as a colour I also love the xenons. But i do feel the car is overshadowed by the trophy's overall appeal and abilities also being a limited run makes it that bit more special.

I realise i can fit sachs damper and recaros to mine but it wont make the car worth more come sale time. I just feel the trophy would offer a better resale price in the long run.

Im thinking the Rb is worth roughly £3800 if anyone would like to give there input..

S3 Sportback, Ninja
So as an apprentice you took customers cars on a 15-20 mile drive which would last best part of an hour in traffic?

But you don't buy into the legend of them as you've never driven one properly? To me, your opinion is null and void on the matter.

As an apprentice, and later qualified part of my job was to make sure the new cars were OK for collection for the customers. Handing the car over to a customer having driven it around the block once with something that has just been built is ludicrous, I assume you have never bought a car new as you very rarely get something with less than say 30 miles on. There are certain things that must be checked. We had a designated route to drive the cars which was essentially a mix of stop start traffic bypass and a short country road. It would be unusual for a car to be taken out for more than 30 mins.

inferno 182.
spax full coilovers+ turinis+recaro's+inferno= better!
Yup those dirty rubbish clothy Recaro's really let the Interior down ;). Who needs Xenons anyway. The Trophy has all the interior kit it needs. A/C and a CD player. Personally I like driving a car not humping Xenons and climate control!

Sachs + Turinis + Recaro's + Pink Go-Kart = Win.

RB is a nice colour though.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
The RB is a stunning colour over the capsicum red.

Sachs + Recaro's + V6 Spoiler + Turinis & Then just add 182 rear seats and xenon headlights = Perfect.

Its cheaper to add the xenon lights and rear seats than buy the other bits to add to your RB