ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Wheel Bearing

MX-5 Sport
There is a slight noise from the rear of my 182 at about 40mph, and it appears again at 70mph. There doesn't seem to be any vibrations and so I assume it is a wheel bearing - the noise seems slightly louder when on right hand bends than on left hand bends.

This points me towards it being the left hand rear wheel bearing. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

If so, how can one go about changing these - are they easy enough?

TIA.

911 GT3, 320i, M3
Not 100% sure about the noise being a wheel bearing but if it is they're easy to change.

Easiest way is to buy new bearings and rear discs from renault mine where around £85-90 for a pair of disc and bearings.

MX-5 Sport
What else could it be? I wondered if it was just a tyre issue? Or perhaps the wheels are out of balance?

I ruled out the balancing idea as I have had the wheels/tyres from the front put on the back and the noise is still the same. Trying to work out what else it might be?
Cheers

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
Your description sounds like wheel bearing.
With a wheel bearing it will get gradually louder and louder as you do a few hundered more miles. So this can be your conclusive proof - if you are daring enough to wait. IMHO they only need replacing when the noise is deafening.

Clio 1.2 16V
Mine has been humming for a while now,

Its a 1.2 can i change these myself that easily or would you advise me to get a mechanic to look at it, also does anyone have an i dea where I can purchase them?

Cheers
Tom

Betty Big Bum R26
I wouldn't leave it until its too loud as the bearing can collapse. Bearings are readily available from any car spares place but its much easier to replace the disc and bearing as you'll need a garage to press the knackered bearing out and then the new one in.

With things like this I'd always replace both on the same axel.

PH1 172 Sport
There is a slight noise from the rear of my 182 at about 40mph, and it appears again at 70mph. There doesn't seem to be any vibrations and so I assume it is a wheel bearing - the noise seems slightly louder when on right hand bends than on left hand bends.

This points me towards it being the left hand rear wheel bearing. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

If so, how can one go about changing these - are they easy enough?

TIA.

Exactly the same speeds that mine got loud when they went last week! Its the rear bearings. Easiest way to change them is to buy the whole disk with the bearings pressed in.

Clio 1.2 16V
My car is a 1.2. So i obviously dont have rear discs, do I just buy the new bearings??

How hard are the bearings to replace?

Cheers

Tom