ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replaced window regulator but I'm still having trouble

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Looking for someone to point me in the right direction someone must have done this.

Window regulator broke so I sourced a new one. Isn't genuine Renault because the plug is different. Wired it up and it will go down but not up. Changed the polarity of the cables and now it goes up but not down.

Do I need to change something on the window switch?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Skoda Fabia vRS
if the plug is different then isnt it pretty obvious its wrong ?

take it back

are you sure it doesnt have a 'double plug'. i.e. and adapter on the end of it which comes off to remove the correct plug, i cant remember which model has this but some of them do

Last edited:
  Ph1 172 + Combo van
The non genuine ones come with a different type of plug.

I have 3 regulators in total now.

1 original broken one. Renault part.
2 non genuine ones. Pattern parts. which come with a plug for you to wire on to.

Theres a guide on here on how to fit a new one which i have followed but it hasnt worked.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
All the cables are fine. Ive tried two different door looms. Will try a switch off a mates clio.

Robbos i saw lots of threads from you about windows on your old car when i searched. Do you know if the switches are the same from a ph1 and a ph2 clio. As my mate has a ph2 so could borrow that.

Clio MK2 Phase 1 172
All the cables are fine. Ive tried two different door looms. Will try a switch off a mates clio.

Robbos i saw lots of threads from you about windows on your old car when i searched. Do you know if the switches are the same from a ph1 and a ph2 clio. As my mate has a ph2 so could borrow that.

When you mention a mate... theres no chance your breaking my window matey haha

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah mate, lots of threads from me, if I were there I could fix it, but its very difficult to diagnose without being able to see it....

The switches only differ in some very old models, hmmmm, easiest thing to check so I can advise you better... what colour wires go from the switch to the motor?

Also, if you could take a pic of the bottom of the connector that plugs into the switch, I may be able to help more.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Right,

In the drivers window switch there is:

2 Blues together, 1 goes to passenger switch.
1 Black Earth.
1 Orange
1 Purple

Apart from the blue which goes to the passenger switch, they all go back into the car. So does the ones from the motor so they must go back to a solenoid under the glovebox.

Searching for wiring diagrams now.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Whaaaaaat??? There should be two direct wires from the motor to the switch, well in my experience anyways, unless you have the one touch drivers window???

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Your supposed to swap the plugs over on the aftermarket ones. IE. use the originall Renault plug on the new aftermarker mechanism. Have you done that?

Simple case of snipping and soldering IIRC.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Cheers for the replies.

I don't have to one touch window.

The Plug on my original loom doesn't fit the aftermarket regulators.

Tried a ph2 switch last night but that's a different fitment. Will get a new switch asap. If that doesn't fix it, I'm calling the auto electrician lol.

Skoda Fabia vRS
for the sake of all this f'n about you could have just bought a proper one, esp if you get a sparky on the case, i know they are expensive but sometimes its just not worth the hassle

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Got this fixed :)

I bought a new door switch from the breakers yard. Fitted it and it made no difference. Leant over to the glovebox area and held my finger on each relay until I could feel which one it was. Swapped it with the one next to it and it's all up and running.

Going to have to get a new relay asap as I think the one I swapped it with was the airbag.

Cheers for everyones help.