ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rota Wheels...

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hi, Im on a fair few forums, and they all seem to like Rota wheels....apart from this one?

Now I appreciate they are replicas of rather expensive and rare Rays/Volks wheels, but is that why they are hated?

I can understand Time Attack race cars needing these £2500 light weight awesome wheels, but on a daily driver surely Rota's are suffice?

Currently looking at 17/18" Rota Torque GTs for my EP3.....lol

So whats wrong with them or is it just brand snobbery?.

In before Malice, Christopher and Turkish send out a lynch mob for me ;-)

Thanks

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
If you want a set of Rotas I dont see anything wrong in it. They wouldnt be for sale on British sites if they were awful quality and broke all the time I guess, dunno.
I personally wont be spending £2k on new wheels, but im looking for 'real' second hand ones.

CBR1K, F21 125D
If you're asking the questions & debating buying them anyway then you wouldn't know the difference.

Not at all IMO, since they don't brand them as 'Volk' or 'Work'.

Only because they can't get away with it. They make them as close as they can knowing full well the retards buying them will buy a set of volks/rays/work/equip etc stickers from somone knocking them out cheap on eBay. It's such a problem that if you order repair decal sets from Rays they want to see photographic proof your wheels are the genuine item.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Only because they can't get away with it. They make them as close as they can knowing full well the retards buying them will buy a set of volks/rays/work/equip etc stickers from somone knocking them out cheap on eBay. It's such a problem that if you order repair decal sets from Rays they want to see photographic proof your wheels are the genuine item.

It's that I don't agree with really, branding something as something else.

In all honestly I couldn't care less. Just playing Devils advocate, I take it that the people that don't like them as they damage the profitability of the 'original' wheels always buy their clothes straight off the catwalk? And never buy supermarket brands? Same difference.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I should have excluded beans and ketchup. That's a given.

It's that I don't agree with really, branding something as something else.

In all honestly I couldn't care less. Just playing Devils advocate, I take it that the people that don't like them as they damage the profitability of the 'original' wheels always buy their clothes straight off the catwalk? And never buy supermarket brands? Same difference.

Hardly, Rota went into business with the express plan to knock out cheap lookalike rims knowing people only had to fit the stickers themselves so they could slither out of copyright infringement. Would you buy fake branded goods made in china and sold at a local market/car boot sale? That's the equivalent of Rota.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here and assume that the sticker theory is speculation, not proof.

htup_0910_06+1997_acura_integra_gsr+desmond_regamaster_evo_wheels.jpg

vs

slipstream_1.jpg

uncle-bens-rice-coupons_se-po_0.jpg

vs

026869.jpg

;)

I see your point Turkish, and agree to an extent. Still if they made grid drifts in 13s I'd buy them, but they don't :(

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh are we here again?

I kind of agree with Si and Gaz. Look at BBS for eg. Copies ruined them because they made expensive well made wheels. Maybe they were a tad overpriced but they still lost out because they made good quality items.

The reason I believe the Volks etc will be fine is the type of scene they are in, people want to be seen to wear the genuine rims, that's a good thing. There should be a slight stigma attached to rotas imo. If you don't care buy them but if you're on the fence it may push you to buy genuine new or even 2nd hand rims.

That's a good thing imo.

Regamasters/Spoon rims often don't run stickers so that's a poor comparison. Plenty of TE37 and Sprint Hart knock offs rolling about on copied stickers.

In the US and Australia you get called out about that kind of s**t at meets. Over here seemingly nobody gives a s**t about buying goods from someone who cynically copies another manufacturers design so they can take easy money from people wanting to look like ballers when they don't have the budget.

Either buy the real thing, buy it second hand or spend the money with a company that does their own designs, makes decent quality wheels and does so cheaper. You don't have to buy forged, cast is fine but avoid cheep Chinese monkey metal s**t. Enkeis are JDM, not knock offs and a fair bit cheaper than the high end stuff.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I see the point but as with most fakes, I guess there are two different markets. Those that buy the reps probably cannot or would not buy the genuine ones and those that buy the genuine ones are the customers who insist on/want/need the quality with little overlap.
So perhaps RAYS et al are not actually losing out financially. Same analogy with Luis Vuitton etc.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I wasnt even aware they were replicas of anything until I went through the JDM thread and saw the hate lol.

Every other forum , it seems to be "Rota's" as every single reply for after market wheels?

I probably will end up getting stock ones re furbed, with 2nd hand genuines, but Im not sure that CE28N's exist in a fitment (ie thinnish width and a fairly large diametre (ie 17/18"))

We will see, I was genuinely just curious.

I better not mention my Tegiwa M Filter then on here then....Gruppe M Rip off IIRC...

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Wheel snobbery sucks.

Bbs went out of business because they wanted people to pay 3k for a set of alloys.

Only a freaking tard would pay that for rims IMO.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
OOO Advan RZ's!

I guess all these wheels I mention are going to be circa £3k in 18s with tyres though :(

Oh f**k wheels Ill get it K Pro'd lol

Wheel snobbery sucks.

Bbs went out of business because they wanted people to pay 3k for a set of alloys.

Only a freaking tard would pay that for rims IMO.

Thankfully some people do, then I swoop in and buy them second hand. They're a lot cheaper in Japan (especially with the exchange rate working against us ATM), usually get imported over second hand anyway. It's the shipping and import fees that bump them up to hell.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Sorry, point made very badly. I'm in a rush at work, lol, will post an explaination later.

Just another point, and not a dig at all before you all start. How is buying a second hand set of genuine wheels helping the manufactor's profits?

At least they were bought from them in the first place. Quite often things like centrecaps & stickers need replacing, so that's revenue for them too. Price up a set of genuine centres and stickers for some Rays/Work wheels and you're nearly at the price of 1 Rotard.

My Regas for example, are no longer made in mass production. Apparently, Rays bought the rights and will make you some in any size you want if you have enough Yen, but I've not seen any of these yet. So it's 2nd Hand only.

I priced up some Work XD9s a month or so back, and the price wasn't all that bad for the strongest set you can buy in 18". If it wasn't for the shipping/import fees and poor exchange rate, I'd happily buy a new set.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
There is a huge difference in the way they are made too.... Weight makes a big diff too held a 18x9.5 te37 in one hand and a rotard copy in the other, same sizes and the rotard was twice the weight! The genuine te37 with rubber fitter was still lighter than the rotard without rubber....

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
There is a huge difference in the way they are made too.... Weight makes a big diff too held a 18x9.5 te37 in one hand and a rotard copy in the other, same sizes and the rotard was twice the weight! The genuine te37 with rubber fitter was still lighter than the rotard without rubber....

Does that HONESTLY matter on a road car? Even on a 400bhp+ Evo its not going to make much difference really?

I can understand them on a 800bhp stripped out time attack car, but a 200bhp Civic? lol?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Does that HONESTLY matter on a road car? Even on a 400bhp+ Evo its not going to make much difference really?

I can understand them on a 800bhp stripped out time attack car, but a 200bhp Civic? lol?

if you want some get some mate, simple really! You are aware you're buying reps, plenty buy reps... thats how it is!

clio 182
I don't understand the hate, if you want to make money you take something people want and do it cheaper! It's simple business! (ripping them off blatantly is a bit below the belt but thats life!)

All the people that would 'abuse' the poor folks buying the cheap wheels need to get over it, because little jdm boy in his civic (stereotype i know) just saved himself 2 grand! And I know for a fact I would rather have 2 grand in my pocket than a set of wheels that are genuine and make me popular with the other jdm boys!

Just my opinion though........

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
TBH I want nothing more than Genuine Bronze CE28N's. That for me is the epitome in making it in life lol.

BUT I think Reps (I didnt actually know they were reps, just thought they were a different brand but similar lol) and a Full Exhaust System, Filter and K Pro is probabably a better way of spending the cash lol

The thing is, I've only ever saw the hate towards "Rotards" on this forum. Im sure its on others too, but every where else the opinion is the complete opposite (Save your money dont buy genuines!), I was just wondering why they had such bad press on here lol.

I can see it been an issue if people are buying Rotas and puttign genuine centre caps and stickers on however. Alot of the German boys do that with BBS LM's round here lol.

If you've not seen hate for them I'm guessing you've not looked on too many JDM forums lol. One of the Honda specific ones I look at the hate and abuse for Rota owners is very full on. There's even a specific thread in the equivalent of our media section that is Rota specific with a warning not to flame/bait/abuse in the title lol

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Does that HONESTLY matter on a road car? Even on a 400bhp+ Evo its not going to make much difference really?I can understand them on a 800bhp stripped out time attack car, but a 200bhp Civic? lol?
I would say yes! Also when you could buy a set second hand of genuine wheels for the same price or not much more than rotards I would say its pretty easy choice to make.....