ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RSi engine in to my RT

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
i am seriously considering dropping the 1.8 8v engine in to my RT, as far as i am aware i will need the engine, gearbox, radiator, downpipe but other than that everything would be ok?

how easy is this conversion to do, timescale, tools etc..?

thanks alot, sam!! :D

williams 2
its not that hard with a little mechanical knowlege! better off finding a valver lump though! prob a couple of hundred quid more but its 30-40 hp better!! ;)

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
hmm, i have a rsi engine ready though... which i can collect anyday soon. what are the specs of rsi engines? bhp, 0-60 etc...??

about 120 bhp aren't they? (could be wrong!) sure 0-60 is around 8 secs (probs wrong there too!)

... I'm getting a valver engine dropped in mine:evil:

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
sick jon, me and you are going to have RT hybrids!! :p

whats the deal going to be like with youre insurance??

MERCEDES CLS AMG
1.8 RSi - forged pistons / steel rods / high pressure fuel pump and then bang 200 shot of nitrous through it - i reckon one of these lumps will be good for 12 sec qtr's

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
yeah, its a good engine... winston had one in his, over the 16v!!

sounded crazy... anything is better than my energy lump hehe.

i can get it off winston for a good price too.

how long will it take to swap the engines over, with me i have very little knowlege haha

SamboRT said:
sick jon, me and you are going to have RT hybrids!! :p

whats the deal going to be like with youre insurance??

We will be legends (altho we r already)

Not sure bout insurance don't think i could pass it off as looking like an energy engine!
Need to ring em up sometime but i'm scared

peugeot 106 gti
if u want 2 know the specs in any engine just look at www.whatcar.com i think it is. it has 0-60 an top end an bhp!! my mate lives in warrington with his 1.4 rt same as yours he is awaitin a valver engine soon......any luck with the coilys yet???

how easy is this conversion to do, timescale, tools etc..?

It took me and 2 mates 2 days to put a Willy into an RT, as long as you have the right tools to do jobs properly its shouldnt take much longer than that to be fair :) my RT will be getting a lump next summer also ;)

1.2 16v clio
valver - 137 bhp top speed 130 0-60 7.7
Rsi - 110 bhp top speed 121 0-60 8.6

Rsi arent that much slower and if uve got one waiting id just go wid that

340i
I own a RSi.. theres hardly any difference between them!

The valvers do have more top end power, from a standing start ive stayed leval with one up to 70ish mph0

By the way RSi's are quicker to 40mph having more low down Torque ;) lol

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
sweet, i am seriously considering doing the conversion... i suppose me and some mates can give it a pop, if it all goes wrong, i will pay someone lol...

whats the deal with m.o.t time? because..... if i dont declare to the dvla what would it be down as??

thanks

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
but would they look at the documents and realise it wont add up?? lol

will there not be any trouble?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
no mate the mot is onyl 2 insure the car is roadworthy had nothing to do with recorded engien power or anything like that

S2000
only spotted this now. You can use the gearbox from the RT and the only things I can think of that aren't on your list are an ECU and possibly fuel pump. I don't know if the fuel pump is necessary with an RSi engine or not - but probably worth finding out about as it's piss easy to change. I'm not sure about engine mounts but think the top mount is different on an RSi but the other two should be the same I would think.

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
after owning both the 16v and RSI i prefer the RSI:rasp: , the only thing i miss is the valvers induction roar

S2000
wat do u think an rt gearbox cud take the power of an rt? wudnt the gear ratios b rong?

I'm guessing you mean if the RT box could take the power of the RSi? Yes it could and there are plenty valvers running RT boxes as the boxes are just as strong as valver boxes. The gear ratios would be different, but it's not possible for them to be wrong as such.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
hmmm,i believe everything that i need, the guy has, how would the top engine mount be different??

thats cool i can use my box, as i think the other one may be fooked :) ... well i think the clutch is lol

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
whats the deal with the mounts then winston??

are they modified to fit? or are they needed to be?

S2000
RT box will do the job fine ....as for RT boxes on valvers, they don't fit ??

It was me saying it over on WC as well, but they do fit. I've been told that there is a gap left between the sump and box, but there are plenty people running them with no problem.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
ahhh sweeet.

right, is the engine from the clio 1.8RT 5 Door the same as the RSi??

i have a plan to see if i can insure the bloody thing!! ;)

1.8RT insurance grp 6 - RSi 11

w00t

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
F3P all the way, F7P's are too much off an arse to work on in comparison.

My RSI used to be a car length in front of 16v's to 50mph and only two car lengths behind at 100mph, most of them haven't had as much of a shagging in there life time aswell