ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Seeing as this has just been released (and I've had it pre-downloaded for weeks) I thought I'd have a couple of hours playing it. It's a bit too early to offer in-depth thoughts or reviews, but it's a stunning-looking game (both on Xbox Series X and PC). That said, I'm already beginning to think that it's a visual feast/Unreal Engine tech demo that is in need of a proper/better narrative.

The binaural sound (through headphones) and soundscape in general are fantastic... BUT... it's non-stop, and I'm already fed up with it! If you played the first game, you will know about the whole "voices" thing; the same applies here. But it already feels too much! 🤣

Here are a few screenshots from early in the game (PC version). These are all real-time in-game (some captured using photomode, some just screen grabs). If nothing else, it's one of the finer-looking games out there (along with the animation and effects, too).

Screenshot 2024-05-22 020811.png

Screenshot 2024-05-22 021934.png

Screenshot 2024-05-22 022508.png

Screenshot 2024-05-22 022947.png

Screenshot 2024-05-22 024638.png

Has anyone else started playing this yet?

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I watched Jackfrags play through a small section of it and I had to turn it off. Yes it looked good but the gameplay looked so dull. And I know what you mean by the voices etc being a bit much, it's non stop!

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
The voices in the first one for sure gave me some sort of autism.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
One of the main reasons why I gave up on Gears 5. The incessant talking during the campaign - assuming that's similar to what you mention?

I didn't mind the talking in Gears 5, but I'm a bit of a Gears fanboi. 🤣

The talking in Hellblade is quite a different proposition, though. In the first game (and this one, too) Senua is battling her demons and her mental health takes a battering. The voices are/is mostly her own, questioning her every decision, her actions, as well as providing game direction and hints. The original game was very much linked with raising awareness of mental health issues and that core mechanic (the constant voices) is also a core part of this second game.

The problem I have is that it is non-stop. Constant. Always there. And it was recorded using binaural microphones so that you get the realistic audio positioning if you use headphones (or have a suitably equipped audio setup). Whilst it is very well done, the constant barrage of whispers, questions, doubt... often overlapping and one sentence running into the next... can be a difficult listen, at least for me. It's not so much the content, it's just the incessant narrative that never seems to break. It perhaps gives a good impression of how someone might struggle with mental health, or depict someone falling into madness, but I struggle with it when I want to enjoy this as a gaming experience.

(This is purely my opinion, of course!)

It's a good tech demo for sure.