ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snapped brake cable, replacement? 172cup

Clio 172 Cup 03 plat
Hi All

Handbrake cable at my local motor factor is £15 for the phase 1, they say mines is different (phase 2 172 cup 53plate) are they right?

cos renault want £63!

big difference.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
they are renault only as far as i'm aware.

lh handbrake cable 6000073733 £21.35 + vat
rh handbrake cable 6000073734 £29.55 + vat

be careful with the handbrake cables on these, if i remember right you may have to change both of the cables due to renault putting out a technical note due to the design of the cables changing - therefore a new cable won't fit on to the vehicle without a new one on the otherside.

this is probs why renault want £63 for the cable - ie both of them!

ps. special orders from France - ie non returnable!

just ring renault and check!

Lionel Richie
they're expensive, i think more than you've quoted their elliot (cups are different again from memory!)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
i took a cup reg off here and stuck it into renault and that's what it came back with - they must change it that bloody often i guess we'll never keep a proper record of it!

was them £40 ones you bought last time for a cup?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
ok - if it was that's an ouch being as though you have to buy the pair now!

172 Cup
I got one the other day for my Cup, drivers side was £40, I previously had eurocarparts ones but they were a terrible fit!

Clio 172 Cup 03 plat
thanks everyone, I'll be looking at car friday night/saturday morning to see whats going on, and hopefully get to brechin renault parts before diner cos the guy there is very helpful (if he's in).

Bloody expensive one after a lot of other probs recently, i.e. crash (not my fault) £450, interior heater packed in £40, and at just found out recently that I need a new multi timer unit too and a guy to plug up to laptop when doing it or car dies!!!

Driving my bf's 172 phase 1 at the moment and his handbrake feels wrong too, think one side has snapped, so we'll be looking at that too, this has definitely been an expensive yr for us and our cars, well we do have 5, but nevermind :)

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Dealer parts are expensive but at the end of the day your paying for a perfect fit and something that will last a wee bit longer than a pattern part. Ive just replaced the two handbrake cables on the cup and it took 15 minutes due to them obviasly being a perfect fit etc.

Clio 172 Cup 03 plat
thanks all

Bit the bullet and bought Renault, £63 for both, not fitted them yet cos waiting on new springs cos went to car today, rust sitting on road, looked under and a spring has decided to break while its been sitting doing nowt!!! must be the cold. Full set of Eibach sportline for £130 tho, so not so bad

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Best move going to renault for these cables, you'd have no end of trouble buying incorrect cables and trying to make them fit - and getting nowhere fast!

Clio 172 Cup 03 plat
Wee update, cables from renault on and no probs :)
Springs arrived next day and are on too, big smiles

Thanks for all the input guys

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Wee update, cables from renault on and no probs :)
Springs arrived next day and are on too, big smiles

Thanks for all the input guys

nice one, glad you got them sorted!

almost becomes worth paying that little bit extra to go without the hassle of getting incorrect parts!

Just been to renault to order some of these myself.

Strangly they came up cables of different part numbers at £20 a piece.

Wasn't confinced so got the to order the one listed above which came up as what I wanted.

Anyone know what other cables there are for 172's as they were cheaper? just intrigued.

and i don't think they were for a phase one.

Clio 172
I replaced mine last month on my phase 1 after much messing about with cables from local motor factor that didn't fit!! i ended up getting them from Renault.

Was £60 for the 2.

Clio 172 Cup 03 plat
Just been to renault to order some of these myself.

Strangly they came up cables of different part numbers at £20 a piece.

Wasn't confinced so got the to order the one listed above which came up as what I wanted.

Anyone know what other cables there are for 172's as they were cheaper? just intrigued.

and i don't think they were for a phase one.

prob standard car, def go with renault part tho cos fitting just easier for a wee bit more its worth it

Clio 182
182 cables are £25 each from my local reno stealers, next day delivery too and I'm in NI. Know the guy who works there so there deffo the right ones, can't believe the price difference between the 172 & 182 cables!