ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So..Fallout 3/NV or Skyrim?

Octy VRS
A lot of people here have put in huge amounts of hours on all. Ignore the slight advantage of Skyrim being the newer game and looking slightly better, back to back which do you prefer?

When Fallout 3 first appeared and after I'd played it to death I could safely say it was the best game I've ever played. The landscape and stories were fantastic. Playing Skyrim now, although at a slower pace I have the same feelings but not sure which I can say is "better".

I know people have reservations on weirdy beard magic games but Skyrim takes a different approach. So much scope to do your own thing, whatever your style. Lesser in Fallout but you have guns and s**t. Oh and V.A.T.S.!

They are totally different games but in ways very similar. Which do you prefer and what would you like for future episodes?

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Skyrim. Easily.
Not a fan of Fallout.

I'd like to see some of the old maps added in, like parts of Morrowind. Also I want to be able to craft arrows and enchant them.

Listerine & Poledo
Fallout.

Since they rebooted it into 1st person, I've loved everything FO3 and FNV did.

Just started a new FNV playthrough in fact, the next one will most likely be a while away and on a different engine too, the only thing that irritated with FNV was that nearly al the FO3 content was used with almost no changes. Oh, and all the crashing and bugs.... a new engine will be a good thing

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I prefer Skyrim. I've really struggled to get into FNV, whereas once I was used to playing a game like Skyrim on a 360 controller, I got straight into it.

Evo 5 RS
I played NV for possibly 5 to 10 minutes before I realised it was more of the drab boring s**t. The original kept me entertained for at least 15 hours though...

Obviously Skyrim s**ts on it tenfold :)

BMW 535d
Skyrim was definately amazing, butdid anyone notice how, even though the quests were different, they werent.

It was either kill, steal, sneak or a long underground cave. Unlike Eldar scrolls: Oblivion had things like the white knight armour or whatever it was to find, which was basically another long quest of its own, Skyrim seemed limited in the dept.

I agree with the crashing, really is massively irritating, and trying to play Skyrim on my 3D tv was impossible, so ended up playing it in the bedroom.

IMO the best games were FO3 and Oblivion...

Even though Skyrim has robbed about 100 hours from my life

Nissan 350z
Skryim.

I could never get immersed in "another post apocolyptic setting" as i can the world of Skyrim without even trying. Granted this might be thanks to the newer engine/technology but lets face facts, there is only so much you can do to a wasteland.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I loved Fallout 3. However, now all I can remember is the noise VATS made, the slow motion kills and Super Mutants being everywhere.

Put well over 200 hours into that game though.

IGN did a graphical comparison and, although unfair, it was quite shocking how poor Fallout 3 looked. Certainly dated.

Octy VRS
I guess I should have included Oblivion also. I think I probably spent more time on that than FO3.

Not played Fallout, didn't really fancy it, but Skyrim is a much better game than Oblivion IMO. Skyrim is much more immersive I found - The world feels a lot more real and you feel much more a part of it. Plus Oblivion had the supremely irritating Oblivion gates. Once I'd cleared out 1 or 2 I simply couldn't be bothered doing any more.

Octy VRS
I was the same with the gates, annoying and confusing as hell. I loved the Knights of the Nine dlc though, proper round table type s**t.

Loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Got Skyrim today, been back and swapped it twice so on the 3rd disc now and its still not working :( hope its just a dodgy batch of games and not my eggbox!

Listerine & Poledo
In some countries Skyrim had to be recalled for being just far too buggy.

Of course, UK law wouldn't allow that. Besides, interweb patching should save all

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Got Skyrim today, been back and swapped it twice so on the 3rd disc now and its still not working :( hope its just a dodgy batch of games and not my eggbox!

What seems to be the problem?

First game was scratched, so presumed that was the problem. Second game didnt work so thought one last try. 3rd disc takes about 2minutes to read, then says disc is unrecognised or just does nothing.

Text my mate, hes gona bring his copy over later and see if that works.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Skyrim >>> Fallout 3 >>>>>>> Fallout NV.

^^^ - Exactly the same as me.

The only issue I have is that I feel slightly deflated/let down by all these Bethesda games over the long term. Initially, they are awesome. The learning curve, the skill development, the progress through the story - they are all brilliant. But it gets tiring for me - especially when the factor of uber-stats and 96 different abilities kick in where I (personally) just think 'meh' about carrying on further.

I much, much prefer the RPGs of old with regards to character development. That said, I understand why Bethesda has done it that way, but ultimately it dulls the long term playability for me.

For future options, I would LOVE a much more focused character development tree. If they could emulate the AD&D rules to stipulate your deameanor as well, from lawful good right through to chaotic evil - that would be great.

D.

Octy VRS
I almost agree but I still played it to death. I kind of miss Boone's crappy one liners. There were some good moments though. It did follow in FO3's footsteps and if that was never released I think it would have stood up better.

Monaro VXR
New Vegas isn't even worth mentioning in the same breath as Skyrim or Fallout 3.

If you actually think about it. New Vegas is a better game than Fallout 3 was. Just that so many people put hundreds of hours into 3 it wasn't different enough. Had NV come out first, no one would have liked fallout 3.

I prefer it to F3 purely due to the story, lot more to it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If you actually think about it. New Vegas is a better game than Fallout 3 was. Just that so many people put hundreds of hours into 3 it wasn't different enough. Had NV come out first, no one would have liked fallout 3.

I prefer it to F3 purely due to the story, lot more to it.

I agree. NV was effectively Fallout 3 v1.5.

D.

Listerine & Poledo
FNV was almost just a massive FO3 DLC.

You can still pour hours of your life into it, but you're not driven by a plot to "save / kill mankind"*
*: In a localised area.

Instead you've got to make more choices over what you want to do to the area. The problem being that, after you'd made that choice, you didn't see any of what came of it, at least Broken Steel let the player see a bit of what happened after they started the purifier.

Monaro VXR
Personally I still say from the fallout series the 2nd game is the best. If they remade the 2nd game with a modern engine it would be amazing.

Listerine & Poledo
FO3 was closer to the original
FNV more like FO2, a more developed version of the same game

but I know what you mean, FO2 was a big development on the franchise.