ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spacers and making bolts shorter

Ph2 Flamer
Basically fitted hubcentric 25mm fk's to the front today, nice and easy. But on checking my bolts with the 15mm spacers for the rear they would bottom out on the hub so left them as I didn't have time to piss about before the rugby.

Question I have is what have people been doing about fitting spacers which bolt to the hub where the bolts to bolt the wheel to the spacer are too long? Is it a hacksaw job on the bolts or can you buy shorter ones?
I've had a quick look and can only see longer bolts online for the type where you bolt through the spacer and into the hub (which isn't what i'm fitting).

Ta

Ph2 Flamer
Cheers chaps I was going the pikey route but I'd rather buy shorter ones, is there a good site you can point me at?

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Basically fitted hubcentric 25mm fk's to the front today, nice and easy. But on checking my bolts with the 15mm spacers for the rear they would bottom out on the hub so left them as I didn't have time to piss about before the rugby.

Question I have is what have people been doing about fitting spacers which bolt to the hub where the bolts to bolt the wheel to the spacer are too long? Is it a hacksaw job on the bolts or can you buy shorter ones?
I've had a quick look and can only see longer bolts online for the type where you bolt through the spacer and into the hub (which isn't what i'm fitting).

Ta

Hi,

I have the exact same problem with my 15mm rear spacers. What size Bolts did you buy to fit them ??

Thanks

Jay

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I just cut my front ones down to size, been on for around four days, wheels havent fallen off.....yet!!

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
I just cut my front ones down to size, been on for around four days, wheels havent fallen off.....yet!!

Unfortunatley i dont really have the tools to be cutting the originals, think i will need to buy a new set. They look only slightly too long but its enough to stop the wheel going back on :(

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Sounds like the same problem i had. New bolts im afraid then

Any chance you know what size yours are after cutting mate ? Had been looking on Demon tweeks as above but dont know which size to go for. Had also considered a Stud conversion from Rare rims possibly but think that may be even more work and couldnt find the right size on the ebay page anyway.

Thanks for the help

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry mate i thought you were refering to studs, thats what are on mine, ive done awy with bolts. The studs were cut down to 65/70mm i think

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Sorry mate i thought you were refering to studs, thats what are on mine, ive done awy with bolts. The studs were cut down to 65/70mm i think

Ah rite, well to be honest i think upgrading to Studs may be a better idea all round. Just looking at the Pure motorsport kit now and that looks to be 75mm but again wouldnt be able to cut it down. I currently only have 15mm on rear and none on front but may get some in future. If yours are 70mm then the pure motorsport ones should be about right for the rear and dont think it should make too much difference for the front. Is this the stud kit your using mate ??

Sorry for all the questions by the way, appreciate the help.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Dont apologise with asking mate, i do it all the time. The spacers/studs i bought were off a lad on here. H&R one's with the extended studs aswell (you have to buy the studs seperate brand new btw). The studs i initially got were 80mm and im pretty sure ph1/ph2 will be different hence me having to cut them down (guy owns a cup), although dont hold me to that. Best thing to do is when you order the spacers ask them for the relevant studs to match. Pure motorsport are a very decent company so its worth asking their advice aswell. Hope this helps :)

Dan.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Yeah thats great thanks, I already had the spacers (15mm Hubcentric FK's) tried fitting them this morning and bolted the spacer to the hub, then the wheel to the spacer but my standard bolts are slightly to long so unable to get the wheel back on. Not sure how studs would work with mine as would have to put them through the spacer and into the hub which i dont think is how they were meant to be used ( were suppost to bolt the spacer directly to the hub and then the wheel to the spacer afterward ) so may be stuck with just bolts :dapprove:

Cheers Dan

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Mine go- Studs thread locked to the hub, then spacer, then wheel and then torque to relevant setting with the nuts supplied

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Mine go- Studs thread locked to the hub, then spacer, then wheel and then torque to relevant setting with the nuts supplied

Yeah mine arnt as direct as that unfortunatly as my spacers need bolting to the hub first, then have other holes to bolt the wheel to the spacer. However do you think i would be on the right lines if i was to rotate the spacer so the holes for the wheel bolts matched that to the hub and then could put a stud straight through both the spacer and hub like yours ??

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Honestly? No idea mate, sorry. Speak to pure motorsport or pm chip or tony hunter off here.

182cup & 172 racecar
Don't do that.

Always bolt the spacer to the hub first then put the studs in the spacer.

That's the way the spacer is designed.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Don't do that.

Always bolt the spacer to the hub first then put the studs in the spacer.

That's the way the spacer is designed.

Ah right thank you Tony, sorry im not the best mechanically minded :S

Would you know if the 75mm Pure motorsport Stud conversion would work with my spacers and not be too long like my wheel bolts ?

Thanks

182cup & 172 racecar
I don't know.

Bolt the spacer on, then offer up the wheel onto spacer.

Put a pencil through the wheel bolt holes,then you can see how long you stud will need to be.

Di it level with the outside of the wheel as you don't want them sticking out too far.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
I don't know.

Bolt the spacer on, then offer up the wheel onto spacer.

Put a pencil through the wheel bolt holes,then you can see how long you stud will need to be.

Di it level with the outside of the wheel as you don't want them sticking out too far.

Just done what you said Tony and the size was exactly 7.5cm to the outside of the wheel so think the pure motorsport kit should be okay with that being 75mm.

Thank you for the help :approve:

Jay

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting that. I knew the bolts i was sent were wrong, its cleared that up for me then. Glad your sorted matey

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Interesting that. I knew the bolts i was sent were wrong, its cleared that up for me then. Glad your sorted matey

Yeah thanks mate, measured it this morning and to the end of the wheel bolt hole was 6.5cm and to sit straight with the face of my f1's was 7.5cm so sould be right in the middle if all goes to plan. :approve: