ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spax vs. FK

BG182FF
Hi all

to cut a long story short, Ive got a Spax RSX kit currently on the car and an FK Konigsport kit just arrived today in the box.

I only intend on keeping one kit, and probably sell the other kit to a friend, so my question is this;

No one on here has given a bad review of either kit, which tells me they're both rated highly + well liked on the clio sports....but which has the better support? (if there is any difference) I.e. Ease of arranging be be refurbed? Has anyone ever sent either kit off to have the shocks refurbed?

Reason I ask is the kit i keep will be on the car till the end of time, so will no doubt need a refurb one day in the future

And finally, the clanger - Has anyone used both kits before, and which (if either) resulted in the best roadholding/trackday tunability?

Last edited:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I have the RSX kit but i was also going to buy the Fk kit, the resion i didn't was because the Spax kit are powdered coated bodies so they don't rust and the threaded adjusters are stainless steel so again no rusting issues.

Ive seen the FK kit after being fitted for a while and they look as if they have been on the sea bed as the bodies are just plated which doesn't last very long tbh

Scott

BG182FF
I hear what you're both saying...I'll have to try the FK's seeing as I've bought them, I know from brief previous experience in a mates koni'd golf gti that they're worth a punt.

Could the bodies be treated with anything to prevent corrosion?

Cup In bits
Denso tape on the threads is your best bet for road grime. From what I have read the Spax are a little soft for a focused track car and FK's are an improvement. At a guess FK will have a good customer service being a typical German optimised outfit. The Gerry's almost always do things well lol.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I have the RSX 'track day' kit but was also going to get the FK's, went for the Spax in the end due to the different rear suspension setup and got them for a good price at the time, lovely them so far apart from some random noises from the rears now and again.

BG182FF
Hmmm.. its a tough one. Done a few searches on both makes of coilover, seen an old comment from Fred@btm saying the Konigsport kit is more a fast road kit than a track car kit....considering my 182 will be used as a daily driver with maybe 2 or 3 trackdays this year, the FK kit would be more suited. But then i still have the question mark over their refurb service.

If anyone has sent FK's for refurbishment, please comment :)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I wouldnt have either of them.

Coilovers personally would be AST's or nothing if your car is a FF. If it wasnt a FF it would be KW V2's.

If it's a road car and you're not a stance monkey then get some trophy suspension

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
KW V2's use Koni adjustable dampers, ie the same as FK KonigSports ... but the latter are half the price ;)

I'd stick with the Koni(gsports)'s tbh, ClioSport is still the only forum in Britain where Spax are treated with any kind of respect lol.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
KW V2's use Koni adjustable dampers, ie the same as FK KonigSports ... but the latter are half the price ;)

Totally different ratings though, I found the springs were too stiff on my konigsports and thats why I got rid of them

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I'd stick with the Koni(gsports)'s tbh, ClioSport is still the only forum in Britain where Spax are treated with any kind of respect lol.

Spax are "ok" but the way they are viewed on here as somehow nearly as good as AST's/KW's etc just because they are more than half the price of a set is a bit laughable IMHO

Adding some coilovers to the rear and calling it a "trackday setup" doesnt change the fact that the internals arent really particuarly special in the first place.

Personally OP, if its for a serious trackday car I would go with the option of selling both and buying some KW or AST.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I dont see everyone's problems with Spax tbh, more happy with mine for what I paid. Could of had Billys but wanted the dampening options and different rear shock setup.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I dont see everyone's problems with Spax tbh, more happy with mine for what I paid. Could of had Billys but wanted the dampening options and different rear shock setup.

If they are the only adjustable coilovers you've had, Im sure they seem great mate :)

Didn't know the FK's even fitted the 182FF (indicated in your profile). Thought they were 54mm bolt spacing only.

I have the RSX 'track day' kit but was also going to get the FK's, went for the Spax in the end due to the different rear suspension setup and got them for a good price at the time, lovely them so far apart from some random noises from the rears now and again.

Spray some oil on the bump stops, should stop it

it's common knowledge that I like spax, had a set on both my clios, perfect for fast road/track IMO. Obviously not as good as the higher level stuff.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Had Avo's, Gaz Golds and Ktec coils before, these are the best so far. Whats your beef with them Chip?

No beef at all mate, like I said they are an OK product, I just am surprised when people on here talk about them like they are a high end product, they arent, and they arent especially cheap for a midrange one either.

I'd take gaz golds out of that list TBH though, did you get yours new or were they old ones as Im amazed you feel the spax are better?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
No beef at all mate, like I said they are an OK product.

I'd take gaz golds out of that list TBH though, did you get yours new or were they old ones as Im amazed you feel the spax are better?

Second hand which had been refurbed before I got them, two of the shocks, one front and one rear spit all their oil out after 12 months of road use, not impressive for the Golds tbh.

Yeah the FK's are 172/182 non cup packed fitment only.

Though I am surprised at people knocking the FK Konigsports, they are a fantastically priced coilover unit that perform well above the more expensive 'track day' coilovers on the market. Yeah they have problems with corroding which can be sorted with a little bit of time/effort, but they are the most reliable adjustable coilover I've ever had.

Perfectly comfortable on the road on the softest setting, and never even got near fully stiff on cut slicks on track. Perfect compromise IMO.

Nick

S4 Avant
Having been for a tour of spax's factory I was impressed with the manufacturing process. There's been a lot of engineering put into manufacturing their coilovers for the Clio, and to see them passed off as mediocre because of the name on them is a little disheartening.

The valves they use to get bump and rebound adjustment were particularly good to watch being machined

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Second hand which had been refurbed before I got them, two of the shocks, one front and one rear spit all their oil out after 12 months of road use, not impressive for the Golds tbh.

Have you had the spax for longer than 12 months (plus however long since the gaz were refurbed before you got them) yet to compare if they do the same with the same use as I must say Ive found Gaz golds to last a lot longer than that between refurbs and the refurbs are really sensibly priced too IME

I dont think its unreasonable thought to send trackday shocks off once a year for a refurb anyway TBH, seems like a sensible timescale to do so anyway to me just to be sure its all ok.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Alot of people have problem with Gaz Golds pissing out their oil. We will see now the Spax go after 12 months!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Alot of people have problem with Gaz Golds pissing out their oil. We will see now the Spax go after 12 months!

If that happens they just need to be sent back for a service (which is a very quick and painless affair with Gaz anyway, I even send my leda stuff to them TBH), normally its a good 2-3 years IME before its required but obvioulsy it depends no how much use it gets.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
No beef at all mate, like I said they are an OK product, I just am surprised when people on here talk about them like they are a high end product, they arent, and they arent especially cheap for a midrange one either.

As Chip says really.

ClioSport is one of those places were products/tuners have a lifecycle, where someone 'cool' uses them and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. A short while later, someone has an issue, all hell breaks loose and the product/tuner become a thing of hatred.

With suspension, back in the day, H&R's used to be the coilover to have, monotube dampers, great drive on the road, bit soft on track, but c'est la vie. Then some leaked and there was doubt. After a while AST developed an adjustable coilover and everyone liked the adjustability, afterall most clio owners adjust their damping for each trackday they do, & everytime they use a different road to get milk. AST were now the favourite. But then Fred said he didnt like them, so nobody else did for a while either. A little while later, Danny@519 realised that clio owners love their adjustability, despite not knowing what to actually do with it, except full hard yo. So he spoke to Spax as they're local and they built some cheap adjustable stuff that CS users could afford. It sold well as it was the same price as Bilstein/H&R/KW V1 but had loads of knobs to play with. Awesome. Cheap to, especially online where they pretty much give it away.

And so it is currently Spax's turn to be bummed on CS, meaning that most people completely ignore the stuff that is very good, thats been going for years, using high quality dampers, like Koni(gsports) and even simpler, Koni adjustables with Eibach springs.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I have Spax PSX spring and damper kit, seems great to me, Had Bilstein B12s on my last car and they seem equally as good as them.

But I bought my kit at cost price so even if they only last 2 years for what they cost I wouldn't be fussed.

Wouldn't mind trying some Konis or H&R next time.

S4 Avant
As Chip says really.

ClioSport is one of those places were products/tuners have a lifecycle, where someone 'cool' uses them and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. A short while later, someone has an issue, all hell breaks loose and the product/tuner become a thing of hatred.

With suspension, back in the day, H&R's used to be the coilover to have, monotube dampers, great drive on the road, bit soft on track, but c'est la vie. Then some leaked and there was doubt. After a while AST developed an adjustable coilover and everyone liked the adjustability, afterall most clio owners adjust their damping for each trackday they do, & everytime they use a different road to get milk. AST were now the favourite. But then Fred said he didnt like them, so nobody else did for a while either. A little while later, Danny@519 realised that clio owners love their adjustability, despite not knowing what to actually do with it, except full hard yo. So he spoke to Spax as they're local and they built some cheap adjustable stuff that CS users could afford. It sold well as it was the same price as Bilstein/H&R/KW V1 but had loads of knobs to play with. Awesome. Cheap to, especially online where they pretty much give it away.

And so it is currently Spax's turn to be bummed on CS, meaning that most people completely ignore the stuff that is very good, thats been going for years, using high quality dampers, like Koni(gsports) and even simpler, Koni adjustables with Eibach springs.

That is complete bullshit and I strongly urge you to remove it.
im not about to go fighting battles for people, but you're out of line slating something that has implications on some ones livelyhood.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
That is complete bulls**t and I strongly urge you to remove it.
im not about to go fighting battles for people, but you're out of line slating something that has implications on some ones livelyhood.

Firstly, its not bullsh1t, its a synopsis of 9 years worth of ClioSport suspension discussion.

Secondly, WTF are you talking about, Danny saw a gap in the market and filled it perfectly, i would have done exactly the same lol.

If k-tec hadnt taken 3 years to not sort out the Bilstein 182 Cup-pack fitment they would be milking it as well.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's not like its a product exclusive to Danny either, 650 quid ish buys you them from a whole load of online retailers.
He might have taken a few basic measurements spax needed off a car (or helped "develop" if you want to word it that way. Lol) in the first place that he had to hand and they didnt but that doesn't stop them happily supplying all their other retailers too as if they didn't get the measurements from him they would have got them from someone else with a Clio like they do for every product in their very wide range. So I don't know why you think it's so personal to Danny? Surely he ssells other suspension anyway too if people don't want spax?

Dave <3 but you did consider getting spax at one point too iirc. Reason i got spax and from memory had one of the first clios running them was i wanted coilovers and Danny was close by and offering a good price at the time. The second set came on the car.

As for the livelyhood bit its swings and round abouts, the same thing can be said about many products.
For example GT Cams, which dont give decent gains and arent worth the money. These were designed/built with connection to a trader on here but this comment wont ruin them.

Gota love CS.

Cup In bits
As Chip says really.

I can see this ^^^^^^from short time I have been on CS.

I've noticed Gaz get a hard time on here for some reason( Good stuff in the Ford world & IME)

Ford is possibly the most modified brand in the UK in years gone so there is a lot of experience compared to the Clio. I think the issue is TBH most of the coils you see for sale on here are 10th hand anyway and fit for scrap.

Last edited:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Dave <3 but you did consider getting spax at one point too iirc.

Yeah i did, as i couldnt get KonigSports/Koni fronts to fit the Trophy, but i decided to simply go for a something that i knew i liked instead, ie H&R (having used Bilstein on all my other french tat). I was very keen to try the Spax (still am tbh, unbiased view and all that), but didnt think they would hold the money if i didnt like them. My H&R's sold for £75 less than i paid for them iirc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Swede cup, yeah the lads at Gaz have proper motorsport background, ex Leda from back in the days when that really meant something etc, its weird the way they get talked about on here like they dont know what they are doing.

Ive just got some of the GHA's (ie the cheaper ones not even the gold) secondhand for my turbo as its only a bit of fun and not worth spending AST money on etc and these came up at the right money.