ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speaker connection for a sub > amp.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
I have never fitted a monoblock amp like this so i dont really know what to do with the speaker connections part.
Here is my best paint skillz for ya. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.
Thanks

louissub.jpg

Polo + Micra
well the connections on the amp are connected anyway (both +'s and -'s are connected)

so run some fairly thick speaker cable to the sub and either leave the link on the sub and connect it to the spare terminals or link both reds and blacks and connect to one pair of red and blacks

if that makes any sense lol

Polo + Micra
yeah the first red and black is one coils and the pair is the other

basically you either connect them in series or parallel depending on the voice coil impedance

Ph1 172 + Combo van
The spec for the sub says impedance: 4 ohms.

Would i need to connect it up in series or parralell?

vaux cavalier
You state the sub is 4ohm, but is that dual 4ohm, or dual 2ohm wired from factory as a nominal 4ohm....Could do with a link to the actual sub to clarify....

The JBL GTO14001e will handle a 2ohm load no bother, the question is, will your current power supply & charge circuit ???

From your pic above;

If its a dual 4ohm, with coil jumper fitted as above final impedance is 8ohm....
If its a dual 2ohm, with coil jumper fitted as above final impedance is 4ohm....

Ph1 172 + Combo van
It is actually going in my friends car. is 4 awg cable ok as that is what he has.

Ill have the user manual and paper work for the sub later on, so i should be able to find out whether it is dual 2 or 4 ohm.

I think its dual 4 though

vaux cavalier
It is actually going in my friends car. is 4 awg cable ok as that is what he has.

Ill have the user manual and paper work for the sub later on, so i should be able to find out whether it is dual 2 or 4 ohm.

I think its dual 4 though

With regards power supply cable;

If your running the amp into a 4ohm load & only playing music then 4awg should just about be OK....If your going to be running 0dB tones then 2awg would be better....

If your running this amp into a 2ohm load then 4awg isn't going to cut it I'm afraid....I would fit 0awg asap to offer some future proofing....

With regards sub voice coil configuration;

If your sub is dual 4ohm, then connected as;
If your sub is dual 2ohm, then connected as;
voicecoil_C.jpg

OR AS;
voicecoil_B.jpg

Your final overall load/impedance will be 2ohm....
Your final overall load/impedance will be 1ohm....14001e is NOT 1ohm stable
Configured as;
voicecoil_A.jpg

Your final overall load/impedance will be 8ohm....
Your final overall load/impedance will be 4ohm....

So, if sub is dual 4ohm connect as;
voicecoil_C.jpg

If its dual 2ohm connect as;
voicecoil_A.jpg

Hope thats clear enough mate....