ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spring compressors question

Ph2 Flamer
Am thinking about getting some Eibachs and have just been reading this in the guides section http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?579168-Fitting-lowering-springs-to-a-Mk2-Clio on how to change the springs etc.

The last post in the guide says

Re: Fitting lowering springs to a Mk2 Clio
You don't require spring compressors for RS models. That said anyone working on a Mk2 non RS will be wise to use them.

As I don't have compressors and do have an RS I don't want to buy a set if I don't need to but I've always thought compressors were essential.... Anyone who's changed their springs care to confirm or contradict?

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
I used spring compressors on my 1.2 16v when I changed the springs wouldn't do it without them IMO

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
I had to have them to refit springs onto my dampers, didn't need them getting them off though. Depends how much weetabix you eat or pies for that matter on Sports ;)

weemark

ClioSport Club Member
  197 CUP
Didnt need them on the clio but made my own from some threaded rod and some make-shift brackets for a mates bmw! much cheaper

Lotus Elise
Its easier to do it with out when you have someone to compress the spring so you can wind the nut on. Can be done alone though.

Clio 182 FF cup'd
Can be done with out them, i changed mine without them.. was still shitting myself undoing the nut :S Just get somebody to push down on the spring slightly as you undo the nut then release slowly, there really isnt much compression in the springs to worry about!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
no need on a sport, i've done about 40 of them!
just a bit of pressure as you undo the nut.