ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard 172 brakes vs Brembo conversion

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Hi Guys,

Looking for peoples experiences of moving from Standard 172 brakes setup to the 197/200 Brembo conversion on 280mm discs. On a previous 172 i had CL RC6 on HC discs and that was excellent on track with R888's and standard power, on my rally car i run 300mm Hi-Specs with Ferodo DSUNO and if anything it is over braked. I have actually considered putting standard brakes on it with RC6 to give more balance.

Do the Brembo's offer any real advantage on a standard exhaust or is it more a willy waving i have Brembo's exercise?

Listerine & Poledo
I can't imagine mounting them to the exhaust will make a useful difference, no.

But sounds like you have a better idea than most on here, but how can something be "overbraked"? Just curious, if I could make my car pull an endo by breathing on the pedal, I'd be happy with that :)

172 Turbo
Someone told me the main benefit of the Brembos is the cooling, so good standard calipers with RC6 and cold feeds would probably be as good.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I can't imagine mounting them to the exhaust will make a useful difference, no.

But sounds like you have a better idea than most on here, but how can something be "overbraked"? Just curious, if I could make my car pull an endo by breathing on the pedal, I'd be happy with that :smile:

Haha my bad, it's been a long week! In regards to balance, the front brakes have so much initial bite and power that it can upset the rear end of the car when on the limit. It's not so much an issue in the dry as you drive around it by being smooth but in the wet you have to tickle the brakes. I need a bias pedal box really, which i will probably get soon

But this is for a road/semi track car i want to build and i can get calipers fairly cheap from Renault, but if all they really offer is some weight reduction then there is little point in upgrading.